PDA

View Full Version : please reply if you agree with me.

pets_r_#1friends
02-15-2003, 07:17 PM
Please reply if you agree with me that breeding is bad and if you don't agree tell me why. I am just doing this to see who agree and disagrees with me. Thanks for your reply!;) ;) ;)

tomkatzid
02-15-2003, 08:15 PM
All our girls are 'mixed' breeds that we have saved from death at the shelter. When people ask what breed they are , I say mostly 'dog':)

Fuzzy317
02-15-2003, 08:17 PM
As with anything, you have breeders that are good, some that aren't.

In general, breeding is good. Its a good way to preserve a specific breed or try for certain traits. Bad breeding is done by some people that breed only for money, breeding dogs, cats, or any animal to sell them to turn a profit. :(

We helped with a transport last year of two deaf great danes, the breeder was so set on profit (or she was just not that smart), she was breeding brother and sister. She kept wondering why many of the puppies turned up deaf. :(

aly
02-15-2003, 08:28 PM
All my animals are from the shelters or the streets. I just couldn't imagine going to a breeder for a dog when there are so many unwanted, wonderful animals dying in shelters every day, never knowing what true love is. As a habit, I always cringe when someone tells me they're a breeder. Irresponsible breeders are the reason I have a job and the reason why my job will never be done.

That said, I think responsible breeders are necessary. I think too many people do it though. And way too many people are careless and neglectful and in it for the wrong reasons. I think there should be a license you should have to get for permission to breed. If all breeders were as knowledgable as our Candy, the world would be a better place.

So I guess I agree with you in the fact that I could never go to a breeder for an animal. But I do also think it is necessary to an extent.

primabella
02-16-2003, 08:07 AM
breeding has to be done for there to be dogs in the world :rolleyes: but if you mean in the "puppymill" or "backyard breeding" way, then i agree.

i got my dog at a breeder for several reasons. i hope you all don't think that we just gave up on shelters all together. we went to all of the ones in our area before deciding on a breeder. we even responded to ads for shelters and checked the web. we wanted a sheltie ( no other dog that fits our lifestyle, i think) and my dad wanted it from a puppy so it could grow with us. i also think it was bets to get it as a puppy, it was my first dog i wanted to go through all the steps. anyways, that's my explanation in case someone starts picking on me for getting mickey at a breeder.

and as aly said, breeding is only necessary to an extent. :)

RubyMutt
02-16-2003, 09:36 AM
I think if you are just having a pet dog to have at home then your should get it spayed/neutered. There are way too many dogs living in shelters without loving homes, and too many dogs getting put down because no one wanted them. :( However, I also think it is important to keep purebreed dog breeds alive. Hence, you need breeding. And most breeders make sure that their pups are going to go homes where they will definetly be wanted. Plus, without breeding there would eventually be no more dogs left on the planet. :eek: But I cannot stress how important it is to spay/neuter your pets because shelters are too full! :(
My dog is from a shelter, I wish I could take them all in :( It's so sad to see so many loving and beautiful dogs without homes.
Of course, I think puppymills are AWFUL!!

Poodle&Labmix
02-16-2003, 07:15 PM
I agree with those who say we need good breeders but no puppymills or backyard breeders.

I got my first dog from a backyard breeder, the woman sold the puppies cheep. I was only 15 and didn't know better, I just saw my little cute and couln't go home without her. Now I have a dog with diabetes. I don't know if it because this woman bred dogs that were not ideal for breeding or what, I will have to eject my dog with insulin two times EVERY DAY FOR THE REST OF HER LIFE.

My new pup (now 3 months) I got from people I met through my friends. Their dog just had 6 puppies and wanted me to help them look for homes for them or they would have to put them down. They put 2 puppies down at 3 weeks of age because they thought that noone wanted them. I was so mad!! We found really good homes for 3 of the once who were left and I adopted the last one. Those 2 puppies who were put down were perfectly healthy but because they were black people who came to look at them didn't notice them as much as the brown and white puppies (black colour is not as popular here) so they just said: ,,They will never find homes" and then they justs put them down. I didn't find out untill the next day when it was too late! :(
The poor mother (the dog) was so sad, she had had those two puppies for 3 weeks and suddenly they dissappeared, I could see it in her eyes, she was diffirent, poor little dog. :(

luckies4me
02-16-2003, 07:37 PM
There is a license you need if you breed a certain amount of dogs/cats for profit, it is called a USDA license.......they are classified under the animal welfare act.

Jessica12345
03-06-2003, 08:03 PM
well... i would say its good and bad. its good because it gets the well bred dogs with good health out to good homes if its done properly. but if its done bad its not such a good thing:( plus their are more dogs in shelters that need homes quick. but good breeders will wait until they have found a good home for the dog. :)

Cheshirekatt
03-06-2003, 08:08 PM
I know that lots of people disagree with me but here is my moto:

Don't breed or buy while shelter animals die.

I'm not trying to start an argument or a discussion. I know some breeders are "good" blah, blah....but I could NEVER buy a dog while millions are killed every year simply because they don't have homes. Just my opinion.

:)

tikeyas_mom
03-06-2003, 08:43 PM

that is soo true.. :) *nod

tikeyas_mom
03-06-2003, 08:44 PM

I think that you can buy but just dont breed...

Buy from a shelter lol :p

aly
03-06-2003, 09:10 PM
AMEN Chesirekatt :D

*LabLoverKEB*
03-06-2003, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by Cheshirekatt
I know that lots of people disagree with me but here is my moto:

I'm not trying to start an argument or a discussion. I know some breeders are "good" blah, blah....but I could NEVER buy a dog while millions are killed every year simply because they don't have homes. Just my opinion.

:)

That's what I was going to say! (Really, it was! LOL!)
AMEN!:) ;)

kai
03-11-2003, 10:12 PM
*SNIFF* I'M GUILTY! lol...I got kai from a breeder but I'm absolutely positive the breeder was a responsible GOOD breeder. But...my first choice was the spca...then to other shelters but we couldn't find the exact dog/breed we wanted...I Guess breeding is good to maintain the breed standards...but it is heart breaking to see the dogs at the pound.

oodlesofpoodles
03-11-2003, 11:48 PM
I do agree with breeding, if done CORRECTLY. I will be breeding my two St. Poodles next year. By the time you add all the expenses that I will undergo with this, I will NOT MAKE ANY MONEY. With eye cerfs, Ofa's, Tests for Sebaceous adenitis, PDA {Patent ductus Arteriosus} and Von Willebrands Disease on both dogs. And brucellous test on both dogs. Riley has already been ofa'ed, hips excellent, eyes cerf. excellent, Gannie's prelims excellent But will redo at 2yrs and her eyes will cerf then. Then there is the pre-whelping expense, special foods, vitamins, then when the pups are whelped, Theres the deworming, and 2 sets of vaccines. I will not let the puppies go til 9 to 12 wks if at 12 wks theres another set of vac's. A good breeder does not make money on the litter.

And when the puppies are sold, They will be on a spay/neuter contract with limited reg. And the buyers will be interveiwed several times. If the puppies go to a show home they will be on a co-ownership.

tikeyas_mom
03-11-2003, 11:54 PM
on a co-ownership. whats that?

oodlesofpoodles
03-11-2003, 11:57 PM
Co-ownership is where you purchase the dog and the breeder and you both own the dog, This way if they want to breed I would have to sign the breeder papers also. I would have a say if and when the dog would be bred

tikeyas_mom
03-11-2003, 11:58 PM
We bred our malamutes and sold them for 350.00 each they were gone in a week. There was four puppies and all gurls 2 black and 2 peach. They were soo cute we named them "long tail *dont ask*, Coon, Winter, Blue eye. " they were soo adorible and we still keep in contact with the owners to this day :) ..

Blue eye has a wonderful home .

Coon has had like 5 litters of puppies in her new home.

Whinter lives right up the street and doesnt even need a leash when being walked.

Long tail did live down the street but they moved down town to a place with a bigger yard. :) ..

Our female mal was a pure bred and our male was a mal with a bit of wolf.

We dewormed all the puppies and got them all their first vet check and shots.

I dont think breeding is totally bad if you are good people and know what you are doing. :cool:

tikeyas_mom
03-12-2003, 12:00 AM
Co-ownership is where you purchase the dog and the breeder and you both own the dog, This way if they want to breed I would have to sign the breeder papers also. I would have a say if and when the dog would be bred

I would never want to share my dog with someone that didnt even live with me, my personal opion is that co-ownership is kinda rediculas. I would never do it.. :(

oodlesofpoodles
03-12-2003, 12:04 AM
I also won't breed til the dog is 2 to 2 1/2 yrs and then will not repeat a breeding for another 2 yrs. Then the female gets spayed after the 2nd breeding. I only will breed a female twice. The more litters that they have weakens their bodys and the puppies are weaker.

oodlesofpoodles
03-12-2003, 12:08 AM
co-ownership is a way to keep your breed lines clean. If I sold a dog to someone on an open reg. and they started breeding everything it ruins my lines and I dont want bad bred dogs linked to my lines.

ParNone
03-12-2003, 01:15 AM
I've been reading "Why Does My Dog?" recently and I found
this passage pretty interesting:

"If you took the offspring of two different breeds and mated
them with the offspring of two more breeds, then repeated
this procedure again and again, before long -- except for its
size -- the dog would start to revert to type. The ears would
be erect, the tail carried low, and the animal would become
far more independent and not as easily trained. The type
to which it is reverting is the wolf..."

Par...

kai
03-12-2003, 01:21 AM
that's pretty interesting...at the rate..of more and more back yard breeders and puppy mills forming...we'll be there in no time...it's a shame...

Dakota's Mommy
03-12-2003, 04:23 PM
I guess that I feel that I agree with most of the people on here. Too many people aren't really "Breeders" but thier animal has a litter because they don't do that responsible thing. I think that is wrong. In my opinion, that's why we have too many animals in this world living on the street, pounds, shelters, etc., etc., etc.! However, I do feel that we do need responsible breeders to ensure we keep pets around and preserve each breed. (Just a note, no I don't have any problems with mixed breeds either!)

captain
03-12-2003, 07:53 PM
I don' t have problems with responsible breeders, however there seem to be sooooo many irresponsible ones.

Both my babies are from a breeder, who I keep in contact with. He is VERY, VERY particular about who he will sell his puppies to. He puts people off by keeping a 2 year waiting list ...... and those people who REALLY want one of his puppies are prepared to wait.

However, he does have a condition (which is a great one). If you EVER do not want the dog, decide it is too much for you, change your mind, ANYTHING that affects the dog - Just phone him, he will drive and collect it no matter where you are!
Yes it relies on people phoning him, but it has worked.

He is involved in Dally rescue and rehoming too.

As for mixed breeds - OH, is there a difference between mixed and mine?? :D :D :D

People should be RESPONSIBLE - bottom line - when breeding. It should not be a mistake because of THEIR lack of concern for their animal being in season.