PDA

View Full Version : Burlington Coat Factory

zippy-kat
11-08-2001, 08:37 AM
This *IS* disturbing but needs to be brought to attention...

**There are graphics and it isn't for the faint of heart**
http://www.skinnedpuppy.com/

Here's what the Humane Society has to say about it:
**This website isn't nearly as graphic as the previous. To see the most disturbing images, are on the video--the site CAN BE viewed without downloading the video, however.**
http://www.hsus.org/current/dc_fur/web_doc/fur_1.html

[ November 08, 2001: Message edited by: zippy-kat ]

ilovehounds
11-08-2001, 09:17 AM
That is the most horrable thing in the world.
I believe they new darn well what those coats were made of and no matter how much money they donate it will never make up for what they have done !!!

I have never shoped there and never will !

3-greys-and-a-mutt
11-08-2001, 09:19 AM
Oh my God! I am absolutely disgusted. First the thread about eating dogs, now this! (I could never buy any fur, and I even am appalled at leather jackets! I try to buy faux-leather shoes whenever possible...)
Who are the people that produce and buy these dog and cat products? Sick, sick, sick!
As my husband said after I read him some of the dog-eating posts, "it's almost enough to make you into a vegetarian."
And the site says the company keeps making the excuse that they thought it was coyote fur! Why is it okay to sell coyote fur?!!!! - that's no excuse!!!!
:mad: :mad: :mad:

[ November 08, 2001: Message edited by: 3-greys-and-a-mutt ]

purrley
11-08-2001, 09:50 AM
I've always felt and will always feel that skins and furs look much better on the animals than they do on the humans. I wear wool sometimes - but at least it grows back and the animal does not have to die because of it.

Dixieland Dancer
11-08-2001, 11:21 AM
This is very disturbing. I am having a tough time this week dealing with all the bad news.

zippy-kat
11-08-2001, 12:14 PM
And what's more disturbing?
Some figurines are made out of cat and dog fur! Caution is needed when buying 'furry' figurines b/c the dog/cat name is disguised!

I've steered clear from those since I found that out. However one day while at a Hallmark--out of curiousness--I picked up one of the furry figurines. Indeed it was under one of the pseudonyms! I was sickened!!! (Gae wolf was what this figurine was labeled.)

The pseydonyms for dog fur include:
Asian Jackal
Gae-wolf
Kou-Pi
Sobaki
Pommern Wolf
China Wolf
Gou-pee
Asiatic Raccoon Dog
Loup d'Asie
Dogues du Chine

Here's a link for the figurines I'm talking about: Fatal Figurines (http://www.hsus.org/bandogcatfur/)

[ November 08, 2001: Message edited by: zippy-kat ]

zippy-kat
11-08-2001, 12:25 PM
That's horrible Spencer!! Things like that just make me absolutely sick!

(Yes, I'm close to tears now.) At any rate, I was 'digging' around the links I gave you guys and found this! A ray of hope:

A Sample Letter to Send to Your Senator in Support of the Dog and Cat Protection Act (http://www.hsus.org/bandogcatfur/leg_sample_letter.html)

Paul
11-08-2001, 01:02 PM
   The skinned puppy website contains very graphic photos.

zippy-kat, perhaps you could edit your original post to include a stronger warning.

Yes, I am squeamish.

mugsy
11-08-2001, 01:17 PM
That practice absolutely disgusts me. My American culture makes me disgusted by eating dog (although Mike also told me that they have a particular breed that they use and they raise them like cattle for that purpose, like that makes it any more appetizing, and that it is EXTREMELY expensive so it's not used very much), but it goes against all of my morals to use ANY fur for ANY purpose other than to provide protection to the animal that God intended it for. I, too, don't own much leather and if I do it's cow leather because I know that they use the meat to feed us, but I agree it makes you want to consider vegetarianism.

zippy, I want to thank you for opening our eyes to this disgusting practice so that we can become more conscientious about things that we buy...I've learned so much on this list from you guys and again, with 13 dogs, we can use all the help we can get!

lbaker
11-08-2001, 01:18 PM
Paul, I wish you had replied before I read the message. I barely read of such things but had I known there were pictures :( Thank Dog I only just started to scroll down and was able to close the thread before seeing what other horridness was there. oh dear me
laurie :( :(

Golden Smiles
11-08-2001, 01:40 PM
That is sickening! I can't believe that actually happens. Thank God Clinton signed that law, at least he did one thing right. I am so outraged,what a bunch of sick human beings!

AdoreMyDogs
11-08-2001, 01:45 PM
Disgusting :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

I don't even know what else to say. Wish I hadn't looked at those pictures.

jackiesdaisy1935
11-08-2001, 02:50 PM
I can tell from the post, what the topic is about, so don't want to read it. Animals are not here for someone to make a fashion statement with leather or fur or any animal part. They are here to teach us lessons that many people cannot understand like love and compassion. How wonderful this world would be if we had mutual respect between human and animal.
Jackie

zippy-kat
11-08-2001, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by Paul:
<STRONG> zippy-kat, perhaps you could edit your original post to include a stronger warning.</STRONG>

Ok, done deal boss! ;)

Daisy's Mom
11-08-2001, 04:48 PM
That is absolutely disgusting. That picture has my stomach absolutely sick! Something has to be done to stop that. Even if Burlington Coat Factory stops selling the dog fur coats, I am sure other places are.

yorkster
11-08-2001, 06:04 PM
Thanks for posting that Zippycat. I could not go beyond the first page, but it is good that people are made aware that this is going on.
My husband has a childhood stuffed animal that is a little donkey that he bought in Mexico. When we started dating, he had not ever been around cats before (he LOVES them now). After a few months or so, he said that his stuffed donkey felt and SMELLED like my cats! I had not seen it because it was packed somewhere, so he got it out and showed it to me- it looked like gray tabby, and I used to have one. It made me sick!

wolflady
11-08-2001, 06:33 PM
Yikes!! I just don't get it!! Where do these people get these sick ideas anyway?? It's not like it's so cold out and there's nothing else available that they have to resort to the torture of animals for their furs. I feel just like purrley does...I think the fur 'coat' looks so much better on it's original owner...the animal...then it does on humans and it should stay on the animal.
Zippy, those animal 'statues' with the real animal fur is totally disturbing. I was especially traumatized because when I was in high school, a friend of mine gave me this cute little black white and tan fuzzy puppy figurine...and it has that fur on it!!!! :eek: :eek: I'm traumatized by that because I wouldn't support acts like these...and having a figurine like that makes me feel horrible!!! YIKES! NNNNNOooooooooooo!! :eek:

zippy-kat
11-08-2001, 06:50 PM
I have so many mixed emotions.
I'm literally in tears right now. Of course this topic needs to be uncovered in order to get people to act on it. Yet it is SO HARDto digest all this information! In the technological world that we live in, it is hard to accept that this happens EVERYDAY and needlessly!

In the words of the great man, Leonardo da Vinci:

"The day will come when men such as I will look upon the murder of animals the way they now look upon the murder of men."

Sudilar
11-08-2001, 06:59 PM
I did not look at the site. I'm upset enough by reading the replies here. It must be horrible. I cannot look.
:( :(

purrfectpaws
11-09-2001, 11:38 PM
I can't even think about going to the site because the pics will be imbedded in my mind forever. I know that you guys like to post these kinds of sites to make all aware but I can't do it......ahhhhhhhhhhhh

Karen
11-10-2001, 12:29 PM
Sudilar and purrfectpaws, I will tell you that I, also, did not go to the site. I do not need to see the pictures to feel the horror. It is wrong, just plain wrong. If people want fuzzy things, they should use fake fur, that's all there is to it!

mugsy
11-10-2001, 12:33 PM
I totally agree Karen. Either use fake fur or get the real thing to cuddle.

4 feline house
11-10-2001, 02:35 PM
Decades ago, the man I was dating gave me the prettiest little owl figurines. I could never understand why my cats wouldn't leave them alone - in fact, they were eventually destroyed because no matter where I put them the cats always found them. When they were on their last legs a friend told me the cats were so crazy about them because the "feathers" were real rabbit fur. I was appalled! The man who gave them to me is now one of the Humane Society of North Texas's most prolific donors, so I'm sure by now he's learn his lesson about furry figurines, too.

Pam
11-10-2001, 06:47 PM
In keeping with that thought Spencer, I wear a cat hair coat all the time! :D :D :D