PDA

View Full Version : Our Move

NoahsMommy
02-14-2003, 04:13 PM
Friends,

Not many people will be able to understand my reasoning, but I still wanted to share that we aren't moving to Sacramento after all.

I was sitting in church on Sunday and I realized that our upcoming move to Sacramento was not the right thing for us to do. I got caught up in the prestige of going to UC Davis or UC Berkeley. I had always wanted to go to a Christian school, but allowed other worldly things to set me astray.

I am pleased to say that I am following God's plan for me. I'm looking into Biola University, Westmont College, California Lutheran University, Pepperdine University, Azusa Pacific and Pacific Christian College (so far).

I just know I couldn't sit in psychology class after psychology class hearing that faith has no place in coping skills. That faith in God isn't proven in textbooks, and is therefore obsolete. I know I wouldn’t be receptive to what I needed to learn, thus wasting my time and our money.

It is amazing how much better I feel about my (our-hubby too!) future. I am beginning to feel led to what is in store for us. Its really great. :)

I just wanted to share. If anyone knows anything about the schools I am checking out, please let me know. Thank you!!

Love,
Kelly

P.S. By the way, the kitties were of course happy to hear they wouldn’t have to sit in a car for a 6 hour move!! ;) :D ;)

popcornbird
02-14-2003, 04:21 PM
I'm glad you're doing what you feel is best. Sometimes we plan, but God has other plans set for us. I'm glad you are happy with your decision and I wish you a happy and healthy life in Southern Super Sunny California! :p

mugsy
02-14-2003, 04:33 PM
Congrats on making your final decision. You need to do what's best for you and your family and it sounds like you did it.

NoahsMommy
02-14-2003, 04:49 PM
:) Thanks! :)

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
02-14-2003, 04:50 PM
I think you made a good choice. I know nothing about the schools you mentioned, but I went to a Catholic college and have never regretted it.

I have never been an overly religious person, didn't go to Catholic grade school or high school, and the only reason I picked that particular college was because I could live at home while going (saving money) and they offered me all sorts of financial aid, which I wouldn't have been able to attend without.

However, I'm so glad I "somehow" ended up there because it taught me so much more than I ever thought it could. And amazingly (to me anyway) it taught me so much about other religions - we even had a class to that effect. But it was more than the religion that I learned. It was more about being a good, caring person, making the right decisions and living your life "right." (and please don't ask me to explain that because I'd be sitting at the computer all night trying to say things right and fumbling badly over all of it.)

I have to admit that I'm still not an overly religious person - I believe what I believe - but I would recommend a "religious" college to anyone.

Kelly, I know you are much more "religious" or "into your faith" or however you want to say it, so seeing as how I had a good experience with this type of college, I would think you would gain from it immensely. And if you are already more at peace with your decision, then that already tells you that you made the right choice. Good luck with whatever school you choose. I'm sure it will be a good one. :)

(I hope this came out the way I meant it. This is one reason I usually don't get involved in religious debates is because my thoughts and ideas never come out right on "paper". )

neko1
02-14-2003, 05:01 PM
I'm glad to hear that you are doing what you feel is best for you! I'm sure everything will turn out just the way you want it!

NoahsMommy
02-14-2003, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by Tubby & Peanut's Mom
I hope this came out the way I meant it. This is one reason I usually don't get involved in religious debates is because my thoughts and ideas never come out right on "paper".[/SIZE]
You make perfect sense, don't worry. :)

Thank you for your encouragement, it means a lot. I think this is really a good path for me, I want to integrate some type of religious "counseling" in my career.

ChrisH
02-14-2003, 05:25 PM
Kelly, I understand your reasoning perfectly and I think it is sound. :) I know nothing about the schools you wrote about (obviously, being British:)), but I do know you will find the right one for you. How you reason shows that, indeed, `prayer is your steering wheel`.:)

love
Chris

NoahsMommy
02-14-2003, 05:28 PM
Thank you ChrisH, you are such a sweetie!

I liked you already anyway....my family is from England, so I make positive assumptions. ;)

Sara luvs her Tinky
02-14-2003, 05:39 PM
It sounds in your writing that you are happy with your decision... and I don't know anything about the schools you mentioned but I know if you pray about it God will lead you in the path He wants you to take. I would have a hard time sitting through biology classes... (luckily at the school i'm going to I won't have too). My brother in law said the biology professors he had were RUDE beyond beliefe to the christians in the class and talked to them like they were stupid for beleiving in God... and I am not so sure I could sit through something like that. But good luck finding the right school... I'll be praying for you.:)

zippy-kat
02-14-2003, 06:24 PM
Kelly!!

I can't believe it!! I know you had your heart set on Berkly but I'm glad you're happy(!!) with your final decision! You sounds WAY less stressed. Good for you!!

{{Hugs to all}}

AmberLee
02-14-2003, 09:27 PM
I was looking forward to having you nearby, but it sounds like you've made the best decision for YOU, and that's the important part. Maybe you can visit up here, any way...

Best of luck!

Soledad
02-15-2003, 12:11 AM
It definitely sounds like you've really thought this out and have made a good decision. Especially if you want to counsel people while having a religious aspect to it. I think that would add a great dimension to a therapy experience. Spirituality definitely deserves a place in psychology.

However, I went to a state school and I had a really great experience with the religious studies department. They were very accepting of various views. So, it's still possible to have religion enter into the equation at a state school.

FYI - Not to spark controversy but my anthropology class was basically hijacked by two fundamentalist Christians who basically stopped the class from learning what we'd paid to sign up for. So, people are rude on both ends of the spectrum.

Miss Meow
02-15-2003, 12:44 AM
Wow! If it feels right for both of you, then it must be right :)

I did a coaching course last year with a clinical psychologist who was also qualified in theology, so your future goals are definitely achievable!

I of course know nothing about those colleges, but Pepperdine *sounds* like a nice place!

Cataholic
02-15-2003, 10:36 AM
Maybe this whole thing was exactly what was supposed to happen. You know, "Kelly" wanted to go to these two other schools, so "Kelly" planned it all out...not really paying attention to what His plan was. So, you finally came around, and now you find peace.

I went to a Quaker college...funny, we were called the ("Fighting Quakers"), and while I did not participate in the religious aspect of the college, the large majority of the professors were Quakers, and it showed through. It was a great place to be. I don't think you need to go to a religious school to find the things you want to learn. I would think most major universities have religiously based psych courses???

Good luck!

NoahsMommy
02-16-2003, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by Cataholic
I would think most major universities have religiously based psych courses???

Good luck!
I haven't found any, at least not in CA, that aren't private colleges or universities. Three of the schools I listed are "religious" in that they were originally founded by people of that specific faith. The rest remain religous schools in that its apart of everyday life there, not just a course.

Soledad, I think that experience would have been horrible...even for me! I hate when anyone pushes thier ideas and beliefs on me, especially in a school setting. I'm surprised the professor allowed it to happen. Were you able to at least get something from the class? That really sucks.

Sara, Yes, the Bio classes are pretty hard on faith...everything is scientific and therefore proven on paper. I go to school with someone who is catholic, so it kind of helps to have support there. :)

Thank you everyone for your understanding and support. When I told my mom, all she said was "Well, that's probably better for you financially." Gee, thanks mom. :rolleyes:

Soledad
02-16-2003, 02:35 PM
The professor was pretty miffed, as was the entire class. I mean, we weren't there to learn about creationism. It was an anthropology course. But I guess they had their own agenda. :rolleyes:

I did learn some, but could have done without the interruption.

On the flip side, we had many Christians being very vocal in my religious studies course which was TOTALLY appropriate and informative. I just don't think that if someone is taking a course on biology/chemistry/anthropology that they should expect to hear about creationism.

NoahsMommy
02-16-2003, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by Soledad
The professor was pretty miffed, as was the entire class. I mean, we weren't there to learn about creationism. It was an anthropology course. But I guess they had their own agenda. :rolleyes:

I did learn some, but could have done without the interruption.

On the flip side, we had many Christians being very vocal in my religious studies course which was TOTALLY appropriate and informative. I just don't think that if someone is taking a course on biology/chemistry/anthropology that they should expect to hear about creationism.
I think that would really annoy me too. Its amazing how unrespectful people really are.