PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

skpaw
02-14-2003, 03:43 PM
About a block away there is an old couple, I think she has Alzhimers. There are lots of cats there. One evening I asked the man, how many cats do you have. He invited me to look in the back yard. I counted at least 10 cats. The old lady said there were two cats there (she is not all there, as I could see at least 10). They feed the cats, do not let them in or consider them their cats. I don't think any of them see the vet. Should I call animal control? If I do they will almost certainly be put to sleep because there are just too many cats to find homes for. These cats might not be good for adoption since they have never been socalized or in a house. Also I don't know about their health. Some of the cats had clearly been fighting. Right now it is extremely cold, last night about 4 degrees, all of January we did not get above freezing. I had not seen any cats at that house for a while then yesterday there were two in the front yard. (Others might be in the back yard or might have frozen.) Is it better to leave things alone, since they are being fed, or have them collected and most likely put to sleep? It sure is not a very good life for any animal.

wolphygrrrl
02-14-2003, 09:29 PM
Is there no place near you that rescues and rehabilitates felines?

Check http://www.felinerescue.net for something near you.

DaisyMcCat
02-18-2003, 01:21 PM
I would call Animal Control and let them assess the situation. no animal should be living outside in these conditions, and as is common with most hoarders, I would guess that this woman doesn't take these cats to the vet. At best, they are mating and producing more unwanted litters, and at worst, they are at risk from contracting serious, painful illnesses.

Calling animal control is not always a death sentence, you know. Yes, the number of unwanted animals always excedes the number of homes at any given time, but shelters and A.C. work hard to adopt out all the animals they find. Even if homes are not an option for these cats, a humane and painless end to their life is better than the alternative they are facing. Also, this woman should be monitored against having any pets in the future.

Good luck to you.

moosmom
02-18-2003, 06:41 PM
I agree with Daisycat. Call Animal Control and let them in on it. I know at the Michigan Humane Society they do find homes for cats that are placeable.

Please keep us posted and let us know. For the kitties sake, make the call.