PDA

View Full Version : Heaven got another angel today

aly
02-13-2003, 11:18 PM
Oreo was found this morning at 8am. He was curled in his bed around his favorite toy, atop his 4 blankets. He had been at the shelter since last July, so he was one of our most spoiled boys. Shelter life was good for him. He was always happy. Even though he got kennel cough twice in the past 5 months, he made the most of it. He enjoyed being moved back to the infirmary and showed off because he had a room all to himself. Oreo never walked, he pranced everywhere he went. He loved nothing more than curling up in someone's lap and getting a tummy rub. It is a mystery why he hadn't been adopted yet. Maybe it was his age of 6 years. We will never know. Its not fair for him to leave this world yet. For the first 5 and a half years of his life, he was tied to a tree outside 24/7. I am so devastated that awful place is the only home he knew. Although the shelter was actually a home to him. He was so happy and he did get to receive a lot of love from me and my coworkers. We are having a funeral on Saturday.

The exact cause of death is not known. They think it may have been a heart attack or he may have eaten a baited mouse.

Oreo - you will be missed terribly. I love you so much.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid51/p9493695a038fe37483b956a64d11b194/fca47e3a.jpg

Sara luvs her Tinky
02-13-2003, 11:25 PM
Sweet little Oreo....:(

I am so sorry your short little life was not as happy as it should! I am glad that you are resting peacefully now... I am sure you will get a super warm welcome from all our RB furrbabies. Now you will never know pain again. I am glad in your last days you were able to experience prancing and pets and cuddles. Rest in Peace sweet Oreo....:(

Cheshirekatt
02-13-2003, 11:38 PM
I'm so sorry about poor little Oreo. :( Rest well, sweet Oreo.

lovemyshiba
02-13-2003, 11:47 PM
Poor little Oreo:(
I'm sorry you never got to have the life you deserved--but glad you enjoyed your time at the shelter, showing off in front of everyone.
Rest in Peace sweet Oreo, may your time at the RB be full of fun and playing with all the other dogs and cats.

Nomilynn
02-13-2003, 11:59 PM
Aly - my condolensces to you and the staff at your work. We know that you guys provided as much love and care as any pup could ask for.

RIP Oreo - play happily

:(

Miss Meow
02-14-2003, 03:45 AM
Not another one to the Bridge :( At least he had experienced the joy of life for the last few months thanks to you and your co-workers. RIP Oreo.

Cincy'sMom
02-14-2003, 05:22 AM
RIP Sweet Oreo.

neko1
02-14-2003, 05:27 AM
So sorry to hear about Oreo. You guys did everything you could for him and now he is somewhere where he can run and play all the time. He's looking down on you and smiling.
RIP Oreo.

lynnestankard
02-14-2003, 07:07 AM
What a sad week this has been - and now, poor Oreo :(
Aly you and your co-workers made his last months so happy - just think of that. He knew Happiness and Love - even though it wasn't for long.
He's running and playng at RB now - happy and with all our furkids. RIP dear Oreo.

Lynne

delidog
02-14-2003, 08:08 AM
Oh ALY,
I am so sorry....Dear Oreo was beautiful....
Godspeed to The Rainbow Bridge Sweet Oreo....Dear Scrubber will be there to greet you and make you feel welcome.....
Rest Well Little One

Logan
02-14-2003, 08:12 AM
Aly, I am so sorry for the loss of such a beautiful soul. :( But, I know he could not have been in better hands than yours and your co-workers. I'm glad he knew real love.

Logan

momoffuzzyfaces
02-14-2003, 08:25 AM
Sometime's I think God just gets so lonesome for certain animals (and people) that He just can't stand being away from them a second longer, so calls them home. I'm sure Oreo knew how loved he was by all of you. Maybe the Rainbow Bridge needed another special Valentine.
Rest easy sweet Oreo. Only good times are ahead for you now.

Tanya&Fritz
02-14-2003, 08:38 AM
Oh no! Not little Oreo :( Aly, I am so sad for your loss, I have tears in my eyes.

Dixieland Dancer
02-14-2003, 09:36 AM
RIP sweet Oreo! I am glad you got to know what a tummy rub was in the last 6 months! Remember the feeling because I want to give you another one someday if you meet me at the bridge!!

Chinadoll
02-14-2003, 09:43 AM
So very sorry.

primabella
02-14-2003, 10:00 AM
what a sweetie he was and a real joy. may you rest in peace, oreo :(

ramanth
02-14-2003, 10:51 AM
RIP sweet Oreo. :(

sammi
02-14-2003, 11:00 AM
Aly, so sorry to hear that Oreo has passed on. How wonderful that he had the last 6 months of his life to really enjoy with lots of people around him & enjoy all the loving that you and your coworkers gave him. Rest in peace and play free at the bridge Oreo.

lizbud
02-14-2003, 11:05 AM
I think MOFF said it very well so I'll repeat her words;

"Sometime's I think God just gets so lonesome for certain animals (and people) that He just can't stand being away from them a second longer, so calls them home. I'm sure Oreo knew how loved he was by all of you. Maybe the Rainbow Bridge needed another special Valentine.
Rest easy sweet Oreo. Only good times are ahead for you now. "

R.I.P. Oreo

Cataholic
02-14-2003, 11:18 AM
Aly,
I am so sorry to hear about Oreo. May his days at RB be all full of the love you and the shelter showered upon him these last six months.

aly
02-14-2003, 11:38 AM
Thanks everyone :( I miss him so much. There's no way I could describe with words how wonderful and cute his personality was. I wish you guys could have seen him prance. I've never seen a dog do that 100% of the time before. The only comfort I can find is that he did know true love before he left. If he had died while chained to that tree ......... I don't even wanna think about it.

Thanks for everyone's kind words. I am sorry to post such awful news. I just needed help dealing with it :(

Karen
02-14-2003, 11:45 AM
Dear little Oreo,
You will be missed
But those who loved you
Yes, they loved you!
Maybe you didn't know what love was
When first to the shelter you came
But they loved you, yes, loved you!

Perhaps in learning and loving to be loved
Your heart was finally full
And no more nightmares
Of chain and hopelessness
No more waking in the night hungry and alone
Cold and unwelcome

For you the shelter meant care
And love
And learning how to be a happy dog
Maybe now, you're at the Rainbow Bridge,
Meeting someone else who never knew love
Who just hoped so long
That you, with your new knowledge
Needed to go
And show them how wonderful love is!

Our Valentine Rainbow Bridge boy,
We'll miss you, Aly most of all,
But you've gone, now show them
What love is all about, okay?

mugsy
02-14-2003, 12:58 PM
I'm sorry Aly, I'm sure that Oreo will be missed. See you at the RB little guy.

ChrisH
02-14-2003, 01:19 PM
Aly I am so sorry:( rest in peace sweet Oreo.

Chris

zippy-kat
02-14-2003, 01:43 PM
~Rest peacefully sweet Oreo~

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
02-14-2003, 02:17 PM
I'm so sorry. And I'm so sorry poor Oreo had to spend the bulk of his life treated so badly. But I'm extremely glad that he came to you, Aly, and the shelter where he knew happiness on his last days. He must have been a remarkable puppy to be such a prancer after such terrible treatment.

RIP sweet Oreo. Unfortunately for us, I guess the RB needed a prancer in the group.

Cinder & Smoke
02-14-2003, 07:06 PM
Oreo is now one of the Lead Dancers in God's
Line Dance Troupe at the Bridge...

Rest In Peace, Oreo!

{{{Huggs}}} to Aly & the Staff.

AmylovesMisty
02-14-2003, 07:15 PM
I'm so sorry!

aly
02-14-2003, 10:22 PM
I would like to appologize for posting this thread. Someone emailed me and said I shouldn't post about animals that aren't mine :( I am really sorry if I annoy anyone with my posts. Its just that the dogs at work are sort of like my own. Same with the dogs at the shelter I volunteer at. But the one I work at is very small so I am able to get very close to all the dogs and cats. I am there 8 hours a day, 6 days a week. And I've known Oreo for 7 months. So I'm sorry about this but the animals at work really are like my own. I'm devastated by his death and was hoping to seek comfort from my pet talk friends. So thats why I posted it. I wasn't trying to make anyone mad or sad.

Karen, that poem was beautiful. Thank you so much.

Cincy'sMom
02-14-2003, 10:28 PM
Aly- I do not think you should apoligize AT ALL for starting this thread...a lot of us often post about animals that are not our own. And the purpose of PT is to support each other and share our love of animals.....you work with these animals on a day to day basis and they are "yours"
I don't think you would have had nearly as many replies to this thread if it was inappropraite. We all know how attached you get to the animals to try on a daily basis to save and this should be exactly the place you come to share the ups and downs of that. I am sorry that someone added to your pain by discouraging you from sharing it. I hope you will disregard that and continue to share with us.

iceyshiver21
02-14-2003, 10:54 PM
Rest in peace....

shais_mom
02-15-2003, 12:05 AM
I am sorry to hear this sad news Aly, Godspeed to the bridge Oreo.

And disregard whoever sent you the email, they are F.O.S!!!

aly
02-15-2003, 12:18 AM
Thank you guys :)

I just made a page with Oreo's pic and clouds as the background, along with this poem:

Look not where I was
For I am not there
My spirit is free
I am everywhere

In the air that you breathe
In the sounds that you hear
Don't cry for me Mom
My spirit is near

I'll watch for you
From the other side
I'll be the one running
New friends by my side

Smile at my memory
Remember in your heart
This isn't the end
It's a brand new start

By: Carol Kufner

marysmerrycats
02-15-2003, 03:08 AM
I'm just glad Oreo had the love and attention he deserved, for the last part of his life.

Rachel
02-15-2003, 06:43 AM
Dear Aly, I am so very sorry for your loss and I know how painful this is for you. You are so caring and loving that I feel Oreo had to know what it is like to be adored. You gave him that, Aly.

As far as that email goes, Cincy's Mom reflected how I feel as well. That person just doesn't understand. I hope that he/she will think about the nature of one's love for animals and theirs for us. It knows no bounds of *ownership*. Your grief was shared at the right place, Aly....with those who care about you and love you.

Person who emailed, Aly. I hope you can find it in your heart to apologize to her.

Sudilar
02-15-2003, 12:03 PM
I have just seen this thread now.

RIP dear, sweet Oreo. Even though you only had 6 months of happiness, you experienced a lifetime of love, love pouring out from aly and the others. You touched their hearts like no other and you will never be forgotten. Your memory is in their hearts forever. My heart goes out to you, aly and your co-workers.

Run free, Oreo. Look for "my" recent furbabies Gaylord and Bear. Tell them to take care of you and introduce you to Wolf, Avalanche, Pal, Blizzard, Charlie and Sparky.

Christiansmommy
02-15-2003, 01:00 PM
Little Oreo...you will be missed. Rest in peace. All of you at the shelter gave Oreo a very happy ending to his life, since you all showered him with lots of love and attention...you are who he called his own :) And i am sure he was very thankful to all of you :)

Robyn

aly
02-15-2003, 01:45 PM
We had his memorial service today and laid him to rest. It was so beautiful. He was buried with his favorite toy and some cookies. He was so proud of his toy - a stuffed squeaky banana. Whenever anyone walked by his cage, he'd run and grab his banana and start shaking it around and trying to "peel" it. I brought a dozen roses that we laid on his grave. I also brought some poems and pictures of him. I will miss him *so* much. I would give anything to be able to kiss him just one more time... and call him my goofy boy just one more time........... :(

Sudilar
02-15-2003, 02:35 PM
:( :( So very very sad. What a beautiful celebration of his life.