PDA

View Full Version : Dwarf Lop Rabbits

tikeyas_mom
02-12-2003, 03:29 PM
:D I was wondering About any information anyone could give me about these rabbits..

I am going to be buying one soon and I wanted to find out more befor i purchas one from a breeder.

What kind of treats do they like?
What kind of foods SHOULDENT you give you bunny?
What is better Female or Male?

How Do you litter train rabbits?
Any info please, it would be greatly needed .. Thanks :)

http://images.google.ca/images?q=tbn:Ivkq41lHz_AC:www.pearsonspets.com/images/minature-lop-eared-rabbits.jpg

tikeyas_mom
02-12-2003, 03:30 PM
http://www.pearsonspets.com/images/minature-lop-eared-rabbits.jpg

i love this pic aww :)

Daisylover
02-12-2003, 04:20 PM
The House Rabbit Soc has a web site that is a wealth of bunny info www.rabbit.org They have links on health, nutrition, litter training and safe litters to use, toys, bonding multiple rabbits, and so on. They are considered THE source of up to date pet rabbit information.

Just remember that a few things: bunnies ARE prey animals and most dislike being picked up and held. However if you get them young enough most owners can overcome this problem, although it really depends on the bunny. The quickest way to earn a bunny's trust is to get down on the floor with him and do this a lot...watch tv, read the newspaper or a book......this really is the best and fastest way to become friends and I cannot emphasize how important this is too much. They are a very curious animal and eventually they will come over and check you out. Talk to him/her a lot, repeating their name so they learn it. Above all, remember that a rabbit is not like a cat or a dog..they are not going to fall in love with you instantly. They will need patience and time before they trust you but then they turn in to wonderful friend! Also bunnies have fragile bones and delicate musculature. The correct way to pick up a rabbit is with one hand firmly around the butt and the other across the chest, hold firmly but gently. Do not give your bunny the opportunity to "flail" around...that's a fast way for the bunny to break it's back or neck or break a limb. And never, ever pick them up by the ears, back of the neck or the middle of the back.

Now having said all that, bunnies really are GREAT pets. They love toys and have a great sense of mischief. When your new bunny does his first binky, you will fall in love (a binky is kicking up their back heels together, whirling around in a circle, jumping high in the air and then tearing off across the room so fast you will wonder if you really saw what you think you saw! It is wonderful to see!).

The House Rabbit Soc no longer recommends putting bunnies in cages. After all they are very active (especially babies and young ones) and being penned up is unnatural. Instead they recommend using one of those portable puppy pens, the smallest of which will give a bun 5-6 ft of room to move around in (MUCH larger than any cage) and they are usually less expensive than some of the fancier cages. For the floor you have several choices depending on the flooring you have in the room you are going to put them in.

Pine or Cedar shavings are NOT to be used for bedding or litter...it has been recently discovered that these soft woods when mixed with urine causes a cancer causing gas to be released and over time this can kill a bunny. Of course the pine and cedar, pet store and pet suppliers haven't admitted this yet because shavings are a big money maker for them. Again see the HRS website for confirmation of this info. Babies can have alfalfa based pellets up until they have finished growing, around 12 months. After that the excess calcium in the pellets becomes harmful to them (another thing you won't get the pet suppliers or manufacturer's to admit to...again see HRS website)

Drawfs are great little bunnies. Do stay in touch and let us know when you get him or her and if possible, put a picture up for us all to see!

tikeyas_mom
02-12-2003, 07:05 PM
hey, thats alot i will goto that site.. :p

tikeyas_mom
02-12-2003, 07:06 PM
I went to the site and i have to pay for any info i need to know... ?? i rather not ...:eek:

Aspen and Misty
02-12-2003, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by tikeyas_mom
I went to the site and i have to pay for any info i need to know... ?? i rather not ...:eek:

I found all the info on the web pages for free. You don't have to purchase the books if that is what you are talking about.

Ash

Heather Wallace
02-13-2003, 11:42 AM
There are loads of site where you can find out info on rabbits for free, just place a search.

tikeyas_mom
02-13-2003, 01:00 PM
Can you recommend any sites?

I tryed going to google.ca but nothing really good showed up.. :(

thanks .. :)

Heather Wallace
02-13-2003, 04:17 PM
Yes
Superbunnies (http://www.superbunnies.com)

Rabbits online (http://www.rabbits.com)

Heather Wallace
02-13-2003, 04:25 PM
The rabbits.com is a free magazine so you should get a lot of info from that.

Daisylover
02-14-2003, 10:58 AM
Tikeyas_mom,

Wow, I am surprised!!!! HRS has never charged me. Ash is correct, they do sell things, like their book which is excellent by the way and a steal at $10....it is considered to be THE book on pet rabbit care...but that's neither here nor there.

When you got to the web site was the first thing they said about needing to pay a fee? Because on that first page along both sides are all the links, like nutrition, health, litter training, etc., and I've just always clicked on one of those boxes. I'm really stumped. I advise a lot of people to go there so I'll try and find out what's going on with them....

Your pictures of the bunnies...gosh they are soooo cute!!!! I did put a lot of basic stuff in my email to you which should get you started ok. In the meantime let me find out what's going on with HRS.

If you want you can send me your address via private mail and I have a ton of handouts I can get from our bunny sanctuary.

Karen
02-14-2003, 11:30 AM
I just went to http://rabbit.org - All the info is still there, and free - those things labeled FAQs contain all the info you need, on food, bedding - everything! The only "money" thing is a book you COULD purcahse, but all the info is right there!