PDA

View Full Version : Remember Mine and Kia's Coyote Encounter?

ramanth
02-12-2003, 08:43 AM
This was in the paper yesterday. I think it's safe to say Zam will not be going outside unless on her leash.

Coyotes live large in Delta (http://www.lsj.com/columnists/schneider/p_030211john_1b-2b.html)

In a way I'm glad I wasn't just imagining it. I still hear them "sing" every once in awhile. It's pretty but eeire.

COCatMama
02-12-2003, 08:51 AM
Coyotes are a common occurence up here :) I think they are neato after that incident with me and Juneau on the trail at the park (had a coyote about 20 feet behind us stalking us).

mugsy
02-12-2003, 09:31 AM
Interesting article Kimmy. I would be careful too, but, remember, they are more afraid of you than you are of them.

Did I ever tell you what happened to my sister when she was taking a walk up at my parent's house in Wisconsin? They lived on a sand road and my sister was walking and came around a curve and there not 10 fee in front of her was a bear cub lying on his back with a sapling bent over batting it around with it's paws. Needless to say, she got out of there VERY quickly, being that she didn't want an encounter with momma bear.

ramanth
02-12-2003, 10:08 AM
Oh my goodness Molly! I don't blame her!

Although I'm sure the site of the baby bear in it's natural habitat was touching.. until the reality of momma bear nearby set in. ;)

luckies4me
02-12-2003, 11:44 AM
I can't believe you all are scared of coyotes lol. I used to have one, Daringer and let me tell you they are VERY skittish/ afraid of humans. They pretty much wouldn't hurt a fly. Our wild coyotes in California would go right up to me, follow me home almost every night and EVEN try to get me to play with them by "dancing". If anyone has been around wolves/coyotes you will know what this means. Now I would trust a coyote ANY day over a wolf though! Matthew was a HUGE handful and his momma was the alpha, and very bossy. And they have heir wild streak in them even if bred and raised in captivity as a puppy....but I would say more dstructive than anything. But then again I am not scared of wild wolves either and have been around them a gazillian times too. But I guess that's just the person I am. I think they know you have a certain respect for them as a creature on this planet and they can see that.

But I do agree about the no leash thing, although I think a dog should always be on a leash unless they are in dog park.

Barbara
02-12-2003, 11:55 AM
Ha -this is the Wild West we dream of :eek: :eek: :eek:

P.S. I have met a coyote once at a parking lot in Yosemite. It was evening, he came out of the woods, looked around, said -ok, here is no car I will take- and went again:)

Logan
02-12-2003, 12:22 PM
Like so many wild animals, coyotes have lost their homes. I remember when we were visiting in Massachusetts summer before last, and my friend, Patti, told me that every time she saw a "Lost Cat" sign, she would cringe, because if people let their cats outdoors, and they were lost, usually it means that they were probably captured by a coyote. That made me so sad, and a bit mad, too, if people didn't realize they were putting their cats in danger! :mad: Patti has had them in her yard before and she lives in a subdivision in a town! It would scare me to death, no matter whether they were harmless or not. Heck, I got frightened by the possums and racoons that frequented at my other house, out of fear that they would attack my dogs and cats if they were provoked.

Sara luvs her Tinky
02-12-2003, 05:31 PM
WOW coyotees!!!

I don't think we have coyotees down here.. or wolves either... I would loooove to see a fox though. I think there all so cute. And the baby bear cub! How cute. I don't think I would stick around either though. :eek:

Desert Arabian
02-12-2003, 07:16 PM
We have a lot of Coyotes and Red Foxes here in Menomonee Falls. We live across the street from a big swamp & woods. When we lived in Milwaukee, we also had a problem there too, and a lot of our cats neighbors went missing. There were flyers all over the place warning people to supervise their dog at night (for potty trips), and to keep your cat indoors. :( :eek:

Go up to our cottage in Black River Falls, WI (75 mi east of Eau Claire), and you have to watch out for wolves, bears, and the occasional Mountain Lion (a resident spotted one with a radio collar, on the side of the road). :eek: :eek: Worry about that more than a coyote.

mugsy
02-12-2003, 07:34 PM
I LOVE Black River Falls!! Mike and I are planning in moving to northern Wisconsin in a few years and BRF is a place I have considered. My parent's house had lots of wildlife too, they were 25 miles north of Hayward. I remember sleeping with the window open at night upstairs and listening to the loons, coyotes, whipporwills, and the occasional bear.

luckies4me
02-12-2003, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by YellowLabLover
When we lived in Milwaukee, we also had a problem there too, and a lot of our cats neighbors went missing.

ROFLMAO! I think you mean "neighbors cats" lol! :p I didn't know cats had neighbors, hehe.

Desert Arabian
02-12-2003, 10:52 PM
Luckies- oh yeah, oopsy, I didn't notice that. LOL. Thanks!

Mugsy- WOW! That is so cool, that you love BRF. I love going up to our cottage. It is the best stress releaver ever. Our cottage is in Hatfield, about 10 miles from Black River Falls, near Lake Arbutus. Our cottage is about 5 or 6 houses down from the Palms Supper Club. Do you know where that is? Do you remember the big giant orange moose and whitetail jumping over the log, by the freeway exit??!! I love going fishing on the small lakes/ponds in the spring, because the Bald Eagles fly over the water a lot for mating and catching fish for their babies. How often do you go there? What's kinda freaky is, we could have been there at the same time, and maybe walked passed eachother at some point (like in a store), and not even know it. FREAKY! :eek: :p :D :D

wolf_Q
02-12-2003, 11:55 PM
It's pretty much safe to say that wild wolves and coyotes are much more afraid of you then you are of them. I would LOVE to encounter an animal like that (mostly a wolf) in the wild. At a distance of course.

I *have* seen a wild wolf...in yellowstone...but it was so far away, it looked like a black dot. I think we saw around 3 coyotes at yellowstone also. 2 of them were pretty close to the road, running. Beautiful animals.

My mom had a coyote run across the road in front of her on her way to work a few days ago. It was weird!! I knew we had coyotes in Utah, but I didn't think we had them in this particular area...I thought most of them were more in the desert type areas around here. There's been a few cougars that have showed up in the city area here. Deer also of course, but this is the first I've heard of a coyote! Anyway, she called animal control....I hope somebody from the fish and game went and picked him up and relocated him....I hope that's what they did. :( My mom was worried he might get hit by a car, and there's also the chance of the coyote killing domestic animals (like cats) etc.