PDA

View Full Version : chocolate



wolfsoul
02-11-2003, 08:16 PM
i know chocolate can temporarily relieve respiratory distress, but it can also cause neurological heart disease in rats....i also read that only a paw size morsel a week is good...
well, icarus somehow escaped his cage (he never does this! i think hes growing up cuz he hasnt been himself lately) and he ate this huge thing of chocolate! is this enough to kill him? i really hope not...hes my poor sweet baby...im wondering if i should feed him his regualr dinner tonight....i think i will stick with dry foods and keep it limited and forget the veggies though...any opinions on what i should do?

luckies4me
02-12-2003, 05:30 PM
It can cause neurological damage but I have yet to hear of a rat actually dying from eating chocolate. Yes you are right on the fact that is can be a bronchiodialator and is good to give a little piece to any rats suffering from respiratory distress, however I have never done this. I would talk to yourvet first and see what he thinks, it is never a bad thing to call and vet.

If he starts walking in circles etc. you need to get him in to see a doc.

His feeding doesn't have to change, that won't do anything but harm him as he needs his veggies/fruits as much as his dry foods. But I don't think ONE day will hurt him, just there is no need for you to cut that out.

As far as him "growing up" Bucks start showing their mature side around 6-8 months old. :) If he starts acting spycho it's just hormones and he should cool down in a few months.

wolfsoul
02-12-2003, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by luckies4me
It can cause neurological damage but I have yet to hear of a rat actually dying from eating chocolate. Yes you are right on the fact that is can be a bronchiodialator and is good to give a little piece to any rats suffering from respiratory distress, however I have never done this. I would talk to yourvet first and see what he thinks, it is never a bad thing to call and vet.

If he starts walking in circles etc. you need to get him in to see a doc.

His feeding doesn't have to change, that won't do anything but harm him as he needs his veggies/fruits as much as his dry foods. But I don't think ONE day will hurt him, just there is no need for you to cut that out.

As far as him "growing up" Bucks start showing their mature side around 6-8 months old. :) If he starts acting spycho it's just hormones and he should cool down in a few months.

ok thanx, i think he will be fine :) he hasnt done anything sickly yet and i hope he never will
and i sure hope that this crazy stage goes away lol...
ill reply if i think hes getting sick from the chocolate

popcornbird
02-12-2003, 08:33 PM
I know chocolate can be deadly for birds, cats, dpgs and other animals, but I have no clue about rats.

wolfsoul
02-13-2003, 08:20 PM
i called the vet but he doesnt know anything about anything lol...all the vets here sorta suck haha