PDA

View Full Version : I am soooo upset!!!!

rg_girlca
02-11-2003, 05:39 PM
I just had an arguement with a neighbour of mine about her cat.
Let me give you a brief story about this.
He has been outside since he was about 4 months old :mad: and now he is about 10 months old. A male tabby/with white under belly and he is soooo affectionate and adorable. She said she lets him outside cause he keeps crying at the door to go out. He is not fixed or had his shots. She lets him in if she happens to be around when he wants back in.
Now I live in Montreal and the weather here has been bitter cold, and this poor little thing has been left outside late at night allll night long.
He got into a fight with another cat and had a abcess (spelling?)
on the tip of his nose. I have a big porch so I"ve made a bedding for him, put one of those throw away litter boxes, food and water out for him. i took care of his abcess and it has healed up nicely. Now the poor thing has a big abcess under his chin going out too the side of his face. Fortunately it broke and has been draining. I've been taking care of it again.
I saw the woman who owns the cat and told her about it. Welllll she told me to mind my own business and to leave her cat alone that I have my own cats to care of. Well needless to say I blew up at her and told her that if she can't take care of her cat by getting him fixed or getting his shots, then she shouldn't have any animals at all.
Don't get me wrong people. I'm not against people letting their animals outside. But please do it under supervision and don't let them out when it is bitter cold.
I also told her that you can train a cat to stay inside.
I'm sorry, this isn't as brief as I thought it would be, but i just had to vent my frustrations out. Was I wrong to confront this woman and should I continue to take care of her cat. (Stupid question Lorraine, of course you're going to continue).
Thanks for listening, or I should say reading.

neko1
02-11-2003, 05:43 PM
I completely agree with you!!! Bless you for taking care of that poor kitty. That poor kitten should not have owners like that. My cats are all up to date on shots, all fixed and all strictly indoors which is the way I feel all cats should be.

jenluckenbach
02-11-2003, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by neko1
I completely agree with you!!! Bless you for taking care of that poor kitty. That poor kitten should not have owners like that. My cats are all up to date on shots, all fixed and all strictly indoors which is the way I feel all cats should be.
Ditto

rg_girlca
02-11-2003, 05:52 PM
Thank you Neko.
All my Kitties have been fixed and had their shots and also stay inside. Too many nasties outside that can harm them. Other cats, cars and mean people.
If I couldn't afford to do this for them, they I never would have gotten any animals until I could.
I also agree that there are people who love animals and can't afford to get them fixed or get their shots. But please take care of them when they need it.

slick
02-11-2003, 06:46 PM
Is there a local SPCA or some Humane Society you can report her to?? I know that if the cat has been tattooed then nothing can be done but if kitty has no ID then I would think that some rescue organization could intervene. I don't know what legalities are involved there.

Bless you for looking after him. What goes around, comes around. Good luck!

rosethecopycat
02-11-2003, 06:49 PM
Take him to a no kill rescue, and give him a chance at a real life. Never mind what the neighbor says, just don't let her see you. She's not a Mommy to him.

:(

rg_girlca
02-11-2003, 08:48 PM
Thank you all for your kind words and advice. Right now my first priority is to get his abcess healed up, and I've been trying to convince my son to take him in as a playmate to his own 10 month own kitty. But so far no luck, (rotten kid) (just joking on that one). But I'm still trying.
The SPCA in our area is a kill shelter, so that is definitly out of the question. That is where My Katie girl came from. The foster home ( which unfortunately is closed now)that I got her from, got her from the SPCA the day before she was to be put to sleep or i should say gased. :(
Your right rosethecopycat, she is not a good mommy at all, in fact she doesn't seem like a very nice person.
Slick, he does have an I.D.
Right now I'm trying to get him use to my dog, which i might add is going pretty well. When I walk Buddy at night, and the cat is outside, (which is 4 to 5 times out of the week) he is starting to walk with us. :).
Wish me luck people on finding him a good loving home, cause after the confrontation I had with his so call owner, that is exactly what my goal will be.
And don't be surprised if in the near future I tell you he is still here.......................................permana tely. :D

krazyaboutkatz
02-11-2003, 11:15 PM
I also agree that your neighbor shouldn't have any animals at all since she doesn't know how to properly care for them. These kind of people make me so mad.:mad: :mad: :mad: It's like they don't even realise that the cat or dog they adopted is a living thing that relies on it's owner for food, water, medical attention, and proper care. You are doing the right thing by caring for this sweet cat and hopefully you can improve his quality of life and either give or find him a loving and caring home. Good luck and please keep us updated about your progress.

rg_girlca
02-13-2003, 07:32 PM
Thank you krazyaboutkatz, it also makes me angry how some people can be, and I will keep you posted. Right now he is sleeping comfortably in his bed. Oh and I would like everyone to know that his abcess is getting better. :)

marysmerrycats
02-13-2003, 07:42 PM
heres what I think you should do, if you want to keep the kitty that is.
take the cat to a vet, see if there is any tattoo or microchip. if there is, and it shows the neighbor as the cats owner, then ask the vet what you should do. if there is not, then register the cat in your last name, and name kitty. you don't have to tell them it is your neighbors, tell them you found a stray! and then keep kitty inside. if and when the witch ever comes looking for her kitty, say you have no idea where he is, maybe he moved to warmer climate!

marysmerrycats
02-13-2003, 07:50 PM
and then you can have the cat microchipped in your name, and have him neautered, if the lady ever does anything about it,(doubtful since it would cost her money) then you will be shown as the more caring and responsible person.

rg_girlca
02-13-2003, 10:49 PM
Thank you for your advice marysmerrycats (love your name by the way) but this woman couldn't be bothered to have him fixed or get his shots, so I know he has no tattoo or microchip. He does have a collar with his address and phone number on it. He wanted to go out earlier so I let him out as he doesn't seem to use the litter box too often, and when I went to walk the dog tonight he isn't anywhere in sight. Sooooooo maybe she finally kept him in the house as today here in Montreal it is very cold.
Plus I might have a new home for him, a friend of mine spoke with a friend of hers and she might take him. She has to discuss it with her hubby first and she will let me know tomorrow.
So keep your fingers crossed, cause if the answer is yes, (Ihope, I hope)when I see the kitty again, which I'm sure will be in the next day or two, he will be picked up and on his way to a new home. Believe me tomorrow night can't come soon enough for me.

Pat
02-14-2003, 06:25 AM
You are doing the right thing by caring for the little kitty. There should be an organisation where you can report such people and they take the animal away from them once they see the animal is not looked after properly. We have such an organisation in Switzerland and have their number with me at all times in case I should ever need it. :eek:
The one thing I do not total agree with (and don’t get mad at me :o ) is that I believe that cats should be able to go outside. If they want to of course! Simon & Kelly have a cat-door which is always open for them and they can go outside when it suites them. Of course now in winter they stay inside all day but every now and then I ‘chase’ them outside and play with them in the snow (they love running after snow-balls). I am lucky because where I stay we don’t have any roads close by and most of the neighbours have either cats or dogs. We all look after each other’s animals, which is really great!
Please keep us updated. Wish you good luck!:)

lynnestankard
02-14-2003, 07:25 AM
Lorraine I think you're doing a wonderful job caring for that little furboy. She obviously doesn't care for him and if it wasn't for your care and loving he'd probably be dead by now - abscesses are awful things (Dan's had three or four) and can make kitties very sick. As long as it's draining thats good. Dan always has to go to the 'white coats' and have anti-biotics to clear the infection.

Good luck and I hope you can manage to get him - he deserves you so much :)

Lynne

Songlover
02-14-2003, 08:10 AM
Dear Lorraine, You are quite right to be concerned about the neglet inflicted on the poor little kitty by its horrible owner. I would not worry too much about what she thinks as she does not deserve to have this or any other pet, in my opinion.

I, too, live in Montreal. After I read your post, I was so upset that I went on the Internet to see what I could find. I found two no kill cat shelters in Montreal and I will post the websites here for your infomation.

they are: www.petnetcanada.com/quebec.htm
search Quebec under "animal rescue" and this will come up:
chatocat2000.

the second one I found is:www.animalrescuenetwork.org

I cannot believe that she would leave him outside in - 40 weather. That is cruelty and she should be charged with that, at the very least. Are you able to take him inside until you can find a place that will accept him? I am so worried about this cat, it makes me so sad to read about him. Can you let me know (Private message) what you decide to do and if you are able to get him to one of these shelters in the Montreal area? We need to act quickly so that he does not die from exposure, infection, or both....regards from Deborah (downtown Montreal)

Barbara
02-14-2003, 09:47 AM
I have a friend who has STOLEN a cat under similar circumstances. He's a happy cat now living with her family and his new cat sister. :D

rg_girlca
02-14-2003, 04:53 PM
YYYYAAAAAHHHHHOOOOOOOOOO......YYYEEEEEPEEEEEEEEE. YES YES YES

My friend just called me to say that her friend spoke with her hubby and they have decided to take kitty. Oh my God I am crying with happiness as I write this. They are going to be getting such an adorable loveable and affectionate kitty. He followed me home today as I was coming home from work, soo he is in the porch all fed and happily asleep in his bed.Oh I can hardly see through these tears of mine. I will be leaving with him soon to bring him to his new home and they won't be letting him out. They have a female tabby, 1 1/2 years old named Sasha, so he will have a playmate also. Plus she said that she will be taking him to the vet tomorrow for his shots and a checkup. OH HAPPY DAY.
Gosh thank you all soo much for getting me through this, with your kind words and fantastic advice.
The best part is that she said I can come and visit him anytime I want. Looks like I found a lifetime friend.
:)
Gotta go now and get kitty bundled up to bring him to his new home. :D

:D LOL I can't stop smiling.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
02-14-2003, 05:04 PM
I'm so happy for kitty and for you!

Yippeee!!!!

krazyaboutkatz
02-14-2003, 10:59 PM
That's great news. :D I'm so glad that this sweet cat can now have a caring and loving forever home. :)

rg_girlca
02-14-2003, 11:57 PM
Here's an update on kitty. I took him to his new home earlier this evening. It's 12:45 a.m. right now here in Montreal, I just got in from a date with my hubby but I couldn't wait to tell you about this.
When I got kitty to his new home, his new owners put him in a spare room for now as they didn't want their cat to associate with him right away until they get the okay from the vets. They will be bringing him later this morn for a check-up and his shots.
His new owners names are Linda and Brian and they seem like real caring people. They fell in love with kitty right away. We stayed in the room with him for about an hour, just observing him to see what he would do, and they couldn't get over how affectionate he was with them. He is very friendly. I think the poor guy was just starving for affection cause when he was on the street he would go to anyone who paid attention to him.
Anyway, he seemed a little nervous at first but then seemed to settle down quit nicely. I left there feeling real comfortable with my decision.
Linda will call me later on to let me know how it went at the vets, and then I will let you guys know okay. :D

marysmerrycats
02-15-2003, 01:10 AM
that is great news! I wonder if the previous owner will look for the kitty? that was a good thing you did! p;ease keep us updated on how is doing in his new home.

02-15-2003, 06:39 AM
Originally posted by neko1

I completely agree with this too ! if you take pets , you must accept all the concequences too !! I can also get so :mad: when I see a poor cat outside waiting on a porch in the bitter cold ...
You did a great job here , Lorraine !!!

smokey the elder
02-15-2003, 08:10 AM
Good job! And I'm glad you have "visitation rights".

rosethecopycat
02-15-2003, 09:14 AM
Good for kitty and good for you!

We love to see a picture of kitty sometime.:)

catmandu
02-15-2003, 09:54 AM
I too have stupid idiots who , once a cat is olderr, never let the cat in the house again. They throw a pan of the cheapest food , and never show any affection!They end up at the lost cats hotel , where there is shelter , a pet and some microwaved food , the poor things.I cannot stand to see an animal in need .

rosethecopycat
02-15-2003, 11:37 AM
Thanks for what you do CATMANDU!

rg_girlca
02-15-2003, 11:41 AM
Got a call from Linda and so far it is good news :D. The vet said he seems very healthy. His abscess is healing up nicely but he put him on anti-biotics for safe measures. Had his shots and blood test taken to check for any nasty diseases. Linda will call monday for the results. Until she gets the results she will keep him seperated from her cat. She said he was such a good little kitty at the vets.
As for his previous so call owner, if she should happen to approach me in regards to where her cat is, I will just tell her that maybe he didn't like his old life and went to find a new one where he will be properly taken care of, and leave it at that.

Rosethecopycat, I would love for you guys to see a picture of him, but unfortunately I don't have a scanner right now, but plan on getting one in the near future. Then watch out!
:D Pictures galore. LOL.

Thank you again for all your support and kind words.
I will let you know monday the results of his blood tests.
She hasn't come up with a name for him yet, any suggestions?

krazyaboutkatz
02-15-2003, 01:38 PM
I'm so glad to hear that everything is going well. :) How about calling him Chance because he now has a second chance at a new life. :)

rg_girlca
02-15-2003, 03:10 PM
Oh, I love that name Krazyaboutkatz, good one. I called Linda and she just L O V E S it too. So kitty is called Chance now, for his second chance in a new and I might add, better life.
Thank you for that Krazyaboutkatz. :D

Cataholic
02-15-2003, 07:34 PM
What a wonderful ending!!!!! You are a wonderful person to do this for Chance. Can't wait for the update!

marysmerrycats
02-16-2003, 05:13 AM
I was going to suggest the name Lucky, since he was lucky to have you save him. but, Chance is a wonderful name!
K.A.K. is good at naming pets, she thought up the name Patches, for my kitty!

Barbara
02-16-2003, 07:26 AM
I did not look at this thread for some days because I was so upset when I read it first and now I see it's zooming to a first class happy end.
So glad Chance has got a new home. And we are looking forward to hearing from him and seeing pix!

rg_girlca
02-16-2003, 10:09 AM
Yes Marysmerrycats, Lucky would have been a good name also cause he was lucky he landed up on my doorstep. :) The uncanny part of that, and this is no word of a lie, my maiden name is Luckie. So how cool is that.

Barbara, I glad you stopped by to see this happy ending to a sad story. As for pictures, unfortunately I don't have a camera or scanner right now, but if you want to get an idea as to what Chance looks like, just look at today's COTD. He is very similar to Baby, especially the coloring and markings.

Tomorrow will be the results of the blood tests, say a prayer and keep fingers crossed that all is well.

Bless you all. You guys are a great bunch. :D

moosmom
02-16-2003, 10:31 AM
rg_girlca ,

Well girl, you've definitely earned your "wings" today. I love stories with happy endings and this is definitely one of them. "Wings" are "atta boys" in rescue terms.

I had a friend who also stole a neighbor's cat because it was outside all the time. He kept on going over to Bill's house for food so he just took him inside. When he moved, the cat went with him. The stupid neighbor didn't ask once if he had seen his "former" pet. Another happy ending.

krazyaboutkatz
02-17-2003, 02:57 AM
Originally posted by rg_girlca
Oh, I love that name Krazyaboutkatz, good one. I called Linda and she just L O V E S it too. So kitty is called Chance now, for his second chance in a new and I might add, better life.
Thank you for that Krazyaboutkatz. :D I'm so glad that you both like it. When you were asking for name suggestions, it just came to me. Prayers are on the way for a clean bill of health for Chance. :)