PDA

View Full Version : 1st part of my speech...

Aspen and Misty
02-11-2003, 03:13 PM
Hey guys. Up date on how my speech is going. i have the first part writen and the second part under way. I was wondering if you would please read over my first part and tell me what you think.

Now please, Be honest, Tell me if it stinks or tell me if things need to go in a diffrent order, WolfQ and the other were a great help last time and I thank them for the help! So please tell me your honest opion. But please, if everyone could post what they though that would help out alot. Even if its just a Didn't like it or a I loved it. I just need to know the over all opionion. I will also be including a poll and please answer that :D .

O Also, If I forgot anything let me know! That way I can add it!!

~*~*~Speech For School ~*~*~

When many kids are trying to convince there parents to get them a pet they will tempt them with offers of them doing all the work or them paying for the animals needs. In many cases the kids will get tired of the animal within weeks and want a different pet. This is why it is so important for you to completly consider all your option before getting an animal.

When you begin to consider getting a dog you need to understand that the dog will live to be 10 or 12 years old and will need to be taken care of through out its WHOLE life. What kind of dog you should get depends on what breed of dog fits your life style. Many people like the mutt while others prefer there pure bred dogs. A common mistake that is made is that mutts are bad dogs and that they are impossible to train, not so. Chewy is a Australian Shepherd mix. He can do almost anything. In fact he is even trained to fetch me a tissue when I sneeze. He is so smart it only takes him minutes to learn tricks that take dogs days to learn. Pitt Bulls also have a bad reputation, but there reputation does not serve them justice. Pitt Bulls are in fact on the top 10 list to have with Children because they are so well natured. There is no such thing as a bad breed of dog, Only BAD OWNERS. This is why you must ALWAYS be well informed on the breed you are going to be purchasing. A good way to get the temperament you want in a dog is to rescue a older dog from a shelter. If you are looking for a certain breed you can go to breed rescues. If you like your common Mutt the pound will give you what your looking for. Sometimes the pound will even have litters of puppies. When you do finally purchase a dog you will want to make sure you spay or neuter it! I can not stress this enough! This is the best thing you will ever do for your dog. Chewy’s mother had a litter of 6 puppies, 5 boys 1 girl. The owners were not well educated on how to properly care for puppies and began to give the puppies away at 2 weeks old. Luckily, someone reported them and the mother and puppies were taken to the pound and the mother was quickly spayed after all the pups were sold.

Ash

primabella
02-11-2003, 07:39 PM
i thought it was pretty good but i think you need to organize your ideas a bit better. but good job! :)

Sara luvs her Tinky
02-11-2003, 08:46 PM
Looks good... What are you giving the speech for?

Aspen and Misty
02-11-2003, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by primabella
i thought it was pretty good but i think you need to organize your ideas a bit better. but good job! :)

Thanx! I'll re-read it and try to do that!

Sara You can go to this thread to see....

http://www.petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20551

I hope that works!

Ash

sp: Please everyone post your opinon or at least Vote on the Poll! Please :)

Sara luvs her Tinky
02-11-2003, 09:13 PM
sounds like fun... I wish all people would care to educate themselves about animal care. ..... It really is too simple to care for animals for there to be so many neglected.

wolf_Q
02-12-2003, 12:49 AM
Ok I'll try to help if I can!! :D

I, personally, think the intro needs work.....I had to do a senior project in school, and we HAD to have a good intro! We had to start with a shocking statement, joke, or just something to get the audiences attention! I'd look around for maybe some statistics...maybe about the amount of dogs put to sleep in shelters or something..not sure, but you need an "Attention Grabber!" :D

I'd put 10-15 years on the age.....it seems pretty common for dogs to live past 12, especially small dogs. I think when you say:
What kind of dog you should get depends on what breed of dog fits your life style you should give examples of this..say like....Do you like to go for walks every day and play sports? An active breed like a labrador would be best for an active family. If you'd rather spend your days watching tv at home...maybe a dog with less exercise requirements would be best for you! You must also take into consideration your living arrangements. A family with an apartment would be better with a smaller dog, while a family with a house and a large backyard might like a bigger dog. I don't know if I'd go into the details about pit bulls either.

When you do finally purchase a dog you will want to make sure you spay or neuter it! What a great time to go into the benefits of spay and neuter! I think you need to give more reasons! Let them know that it's not a risky surgery, it's common procedure...and it will prevent health problems (maybe you could give the example of Teddy?) Also it will make their temperament better (less aggressive males, less likely to run off, dont' have to go through heat in females) And it's NOT going to make them fat and lazy! So many people think this! If they will just *exercise* the dog, it won't happen!

This is what I really think you need to do:

Make an outline! It will help with organizing your ideas. When you figure out your outline, decide what the main topics of your speech will be. Mention these topics in the intro. Talk about them in your speech the same order you said in the intro.....try to keep on track.

Anyway, I really think it sounds great so far! I'm looking forward to hearing the 2nd half of your speech! :D

popcornbird
02-12-2003, 02:22 AM
I think you're doing a great job, but it needs some work on the introduction. Try to start in an exciting way, to catch the attention of the audience. For example, try to start with a scene; put the students in a scenerio, in which they go to their friend's house, or visit their neighbors, or see a pet they really really want. Start with this scenerio, and continue with how much they long for a pet, how they wished they could have a loving companion by their side, and how they would request their parents for a pet, and eventually get it, while not knowing how to properly care for the animal. Then go to "But have you finished your homework? Are you ready for a pet? Do you know what it takes to provide a pet with the long, happy and healthy life it desereves?" Go on from there. :) Hope this helps. Good luck! You are doing a great thing by telling fellow classmates how much it means to have a pet and to know how to love it and lcare for it properly.

Aspen and Misty
02-12-2003, 06:04 AM
Originally posted by wolf_Q

Ok I'll try to help if I can!! :D

All your ideas were wonderful! I know I'm still working on the intro. I know it stinks. You had some great ideas on how to better my speech thingy :D

Your idea of making an outline was wonderful. Also useing the example of Teddy for why you should spay and nuter was great. I am done with the second part. But like to keep it to myself for a few days and go back everyday and change what i think doesn't sound right or is just stupid or if I feel I need to add on then I can. So I will have to posted in a few days.

Ash

Aspen and Misty
02-12-2003, 06:07 AM
Originally posted by popcornbird
I think you're doing a great job, but it needs some work on the introduction. Try to start in an exciting way, to catch the attention of the audience. For example, try to start with a scene; put the students in a scenerio,

I know the introduction is a killer. LOL. I keep trying to think of a new one but nothing has come to me. But your suggestion was great! I will try to do that.

I will use both yours and WolfQ's Ideas. :D you know inbetween you two I'll have a great speech.

Ash

anna_66
02-12-2003, 06:51 AM
It was very informative, and Amy had alot of good ideas for you. Keep up the good work, I know you'll get a awesome grade:D

Aspen and Misty
02-12-2003, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by anna_66
It was very informative, and Amy had alot of good ideas for you. Keep up the good work, I know you'll get a awesome grade:D

I wont be getting a grade on this. Its just to help the kids learn about how to properly care for the animals.

Ash :D

Dixieland Dancer
02-12-2003, 10:12 AM
Your intro needs to explain what you are writing about so the reader doesn't have to wonder what the body of the information is going to contain.

Each idea needs to be seperated into it's own paragraph.

For example....your intro could say ( I just modified what you already had).....

Many kids desire to own pets while they are growing up. It is a huge responsibility that should not be taken lightly. This decision effects the entire family and requires a commitment to the pet for many years. This is why it is so important for you to completely consider all your options before getting an animal.

Then your next few paragraphs could be explaining some of the ideas you already have.