PDA

View Full Version : what's with the pekignese???

lovemyshiba
02-11-2003, 09:37 AM
I love all dogs, but these are so funny. Why was it such a favorite to win, and then when it did, it was no surprise. I would have picked 10 other dogs ahead of it (including the dancing chi)--what's the appeal???

robinh
02-11-2003, 10:10 AM
I couldn't figure it out either. I knew it would win, but I couldn't figure it out. There were so many more that met the standard and really seemed to be "on"! :confused:

Dixieland Dancer
02-11-2003, 10:48 AM
Are we talking about the Westminster Dog Show? :confused:

robinh
02-11-2003, 12:08 PM
Yes - the Pekignese won his division last night. Was so frustrating when there were so many good dogs! He was favored and just seemed to me like the judge didn't see any of the others.

lovemyshiba
02-11-2003, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by Dixieland Dancer
Are we talking about the Westminster Dog Show? :confused:

Yes, I'm sorry I didn't specify--I was referring to the Pek that one the Toy Group in the show last night.

RubyMutt
02-11-2003, 12:30 PM
Yeah, they are such funny little dogs. I usually don't find them to be very attractive, but there was something about that one last night that I thought was adorable. I was kinda glad he took the toy group :)

Pam
02-11-2003, 02:59 PM
I love the Toy Group and several of my favorite breeds are in that group. Even though I don't see myself ever owning a Peke I thought the one last night was awesome. I thought he had the sweetest face and he had two thin little dark streaks of fur running down either side of his face (very symmetrical) and that added to his charm. It's gotta be so hard to be a judge!

primabella
02-11-2003, 07:36 PM
my fave group is the herding. after i see that group, i don't really stick around until best in show...unless i am not busy ;) i wish i could watch the show but my parents don't want to. can someone please tell me how they organized the show and why it is playing two nights? :) thx

lovemyshiba
02-11-2003, 10:09 PM
Primabella--it takes them 2 nights to do all of the groups. Last night, there were 4, and tonight 3, and the announcement of Best In Show. Last night was--Toy, Terrier, Non-Sporting, and ........darn it I can't remember. Tonight was Hound, Herding, and the other one (man, where is my brain).

Twisterdog
02-12-2003, 09:55 PM
You have to remember, the judging at Westminster is not comparing the Pekingese to the chihuahua to the papillion, etc. It is comparing that particular Pekingese to the breed standard for the Pekingese breed, that particular chihuahua to the breed standard for the chihuahua breed, etc. Of course, style, personality and showmanship come into the equation also ... but the Pekingese won because it was the dog that was the most excellent example of its own breed standard in the ring.

As a groomer, I can tell you, that is far and away the most awesome Pekingese I have ever seen, by a long shot. Whether or not the judges, or anyone else, personally likes the breed, or how cute it is, etc. is (or at least should be) irrelevant ... Westminster is a conformation show, based on conformation to the breed standard.

lovemyshiba
02-13-2003, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by Twisterdog

As a groomer, I can tell you, that is far and away the most awesome Pekingese I have ever seen, by a long shot.

You're right. I actually have never seen a Peke in person, only pictures of Kimmy Sue (RB), my husband's grandmother's dog.