PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone knowledgeable in computers help me

jenluckenbach
02-11-2003, 05:44 AM
Sorry about this, but I do not know who to ask. I received this e-mail about a virus in my mail today, but I do not want to just delete some unknown program. I have heard of scams that make you delete things that you NEED. Here is the bulk of the letter:

The Virus (called jdbgmgr.exe) is NOT detected by Norton or McAfee Anti-virus systems. The virus, allegedly, sits quietly for 14 days before damaging the system. It is sent automatically by messenger and by the address book, WHETHER OR NOT you sent e-mails to your contacts. To infect, no action was needed by me or by you. I
received the following message be! low and had to remove a file from my computer. I followed the directions below and erased the virus easily. Please take two minutes to
search your computer as described below. Here's how to check for the virus and how to get rid of it.
YOU MUST DO THIS
1) Go to Start, Find or Search option
2) In the file/folders option, type the name:
jdbgmgr.exe
3) Be sure you search your C:drive and all subfolders
and any other drives
you may have
4) Click "find now"
5) The Virus has a teddy bear icon with the name
jdbgmgr.exe DO NOT OPEN IT
6) Go to Edit (on the menu bar), choose "select all"
to highlight the file
without opening it
7) Now go to File (on the menu bar) and select delete.
It will then go to
the Recycle Bin
8) Go to the Recycle Bin and delete it there as well

IF YOU FIND THE VIRUS, YOU MUST CONTACT ALL THE PEOPLE
IN YOUR ADDRESS BOOK,
SO THEY CAN ERADICATE IT IN THEIR
OWN ADDRESS BOOKS

To do this:
a) Open a new email message
b) Click the icon of the address book next to the "to"
c) Highlight every name and add to "BCC"
d) Copy this message...enter subject...paste to
email...send.

Does anyone know about this. Thanks in advance for any help.

Ann
02-11-2003, 05:55 AM
It's a hoax; don't delete the file.

jdbgmgr.exe is Microsoft's debugger registrar for Java and is a fully normal Windows system file.

If you had deleted it you normally wouldn't need to restore it unless you use Microsoft Visual J++ 1.1 to develop Java programs on Windows XP, Windows NT 4.0, Windows 98 Second Edition, Windows 98, or Windows 95. It's however available for download on Microsoft's website if you do need it.

Besides, with such a cute little icon it just can't be bad http://www.peachkin.com/pics/bear-smiley.gif

tatsxxx11
02-11-2003, 05:56 AM
This was a hoax going around a few months ago. All of those in the "know" (including my Norton Anti-Virus) warned people NOT to delete any files and ignore the email. Unfortunately, I had already deleted the file:(

jenluckenbach
02-11-2003, 05:57 AM
thank you. I has a sneaking suspicion. Thank you again.