PDA

View Full Version : 13,413.60 before taxes

RICHARD
02-10-2003, 03:18 PM
This Airman’s response to the Washington Times should be printed in all newspapers across America. Especially now when the President is calling up more Reserves and National Guardsmen. Get this response out to everyone you know. It’s time the Jane Fonda’s &Sean Penn’s of this country wise up and support the troops that defend them.

Military pay article
On 12 Nov, Ms Cindy Williams (from Laverne and Shirley TV show) wrote a piece for the Washington Times, denouncing the pay raise(s) coming servicemembers’ way this year—citing that the stated 13% wage was more than they deserve.
A young airman from Hill AFB responds to her article below. He ought to get a bonus for this!
“Ms Williams:
I just had the pleasure of reading your column, “Our GIs earn enough” and I am a bit confused. Frankly, I’m wondering where this vaunted overpayment is going, because as far as I can tell, it disappears every month between DFAS (The Defense Finance and Accounting Service) and my bank account. Checking my latest earnings statement I see that I make $1,117.80 before taxes. After taxes, I take home $874.20. When I run that through the calculator, I come up with an annual salary of $13,413.60 before taxes, and $10,490.40 after.
I work in the Air Force Network Control Center where I am part of the team responsible for a 5,000-host computer network. I am involved with infrastructure segments, specifically with Cisco Systems equipment. A quick check under jobs for Network Technicians in the Washington, D.C. area reveals a position in my career field, requiring three years experience with my job. Amazingly, this job does NOT pay $13,413.60 a year. No, this job is being offered at $70,000 to $80,000 per annum. I’m sure you can draw the obvious conclusions.

Given the tenor of your column, I would assume that you have NEVER had the pleasure of serving your country in her armed forces. Before you take it upon yourself to once more castigate congressional and DOD leadership for attempting to get the families in the military’s lowest pay brackets off of WIC, and food stamps, I suggest that you join a group of deploying soldiers headed for AFGHANISTAN, I leave the choice of service branch up to you. Whatever choice you make, though, opt for the SIX month rotation: it will guarantee you the longest possible time away from your family and friends, thus giving you full “deployment experience.”
As your group prepares to board the plane, make sure to note the spouses and children who are saying good-bye to their loved ones. Also take care to note that several families are still unsure of how they’ll be able to make ends meet while the primary breadwinner is gone—obviously they’ve been squandering the “vast” piles of cash the government has been giving them.
Try to deploy over a major holiday; Christmas and Thanksgiving are perennial favorites.
And when you’re actually over there, sitting in a foxhole, shivering against the cold desert night; and the flight sergeant tells you that there aren’t enough people on shift to relieve you for chow, remember this: trade whatever MRE (meal-ready-to-eat) you manage to get for the tuna noodle casserole or cheese tortellini, and add Tabasco to everything. This gives some flavor.
Talk to your loved ones as often as you are permitted; it won’t nearly be long enough or often enough, but take what you can get and be thankful for it. You may have picked up on the fact that I disagree with most of the points you present in your op-ed piece.
But, tomorrow from KABUL, I will defend to the death your right to say it.
You see, I am an American fighting man, a guarantor of your First Amendment rights and every other right you cherish. On a daily basis, my brother and sister soldiers worldwide ensure that you and people like you can thumb your collective nose at us, all on a salary that is nothing short of pitiful and under conditions that would make most people cringe.
We hemorrhage our best and brightest into the private sector because we can’t offer the stability and pay of civilian companies. And you, Ms Williams, have the gall to say that we make more than we deserve?
Rubbish!

-----------------------------------------------------

I'll save all the people who want to say,"no one told them to join"
the breath......

They do it because they have something that some of us don't, a sense of pride and wanting to give back to the country.

this country was built on the bones and blood of these kids.....
we owe them a little bit of respect.

mugsy
02-10-2003, 03:32 PM
Well said!!! I read it to Mike and he laughed hysterically when I read the part about the Tabasco. He also agreed with everything the kid said in his letter. He writes very well and puts those bleeding heart liberals right where they belong. You know, Mike tells me I'M bleeding heart, but I don't think so....at least I hope not if those people are the in that camp!

RICHARD
02-10-2003, 03:40 PM
thanks mike, for the time you put in for us sods that are too old to go........btw, do you still use tabasco????

;)

one feel good story from last year was PAT TILLMAN/ARIZONA
CARDINALS......

RICHARD
02-10-2003, 04:06 PM
and you thought that the bars next to the toilet bowl
were for the handicapped..........

.8 ounces....let's see....that's ah............
um................way too much!!!!!!

what was the first place prize?

RICHARD
02-10-2003, 04:15 PM
FORT BENNING, Ga. -- Former NFL player Pat Tillman is used to pushing his body to the limit with grueling training in the summer heat. This summer, though, he will be sweating it out as an Army recruit.

Pat Tillman played four seasons with the Arizona Cardinals.

Tillman, the 25-year-old starting safety for the Arizona Cardinals, turned down a $3.6 million contract for $18,000 a year and an uncertain quest to become an Army Ranger.

Tillman, who has rejected all interview requests to talk about his decision, began basic training Monday at this base in southwest Georgia, joining his younger brother, who enlisted with him.

"In Pat Tillman's view of the world, football is a part of it, but there are a lot of other things that are important to him," said Lyle Setencich, Tillman's linebacker coach at Arizona State.

Money doesn't seem to be important to him at all. Last year, he turned down a $9 million, five-year offer from the Super Bowl champion St. Louis Rams so he could stay with the perennial losing Cardinals for less money. This year, he turned down the Cardinals three-year, $3.6 million contract to join the Army.

"He said there were personal reasons he didn't want to divulge to me, and I didn't press him on it," Cardinals coach Dave McGinnis said. "I respect his decision. I think it's honorable."

Observers questioned his sanity, but that's nothing new for Tillman, who used to meditate atop a 200-foot light tower above Arizona State's stadium.

"If you don't know Pat, then you would think he's crazy," said Phil Snow, who coached Tillman as Arizona State's defensive coordinator. "The planes flew so close to him that he could damn near reach out and touch them. He's just fearless."

lovemyshiba
02-10-2003, 04:30 PM
I really liked the letter--they do deserve more. Maybe all of those Hollywood celebs--or has beens, like Ms. Williams--could chip in some of their millions to help feed our brave men and women--as well as their families.
Mike--that is a LOT of tabasco!!! WOW!!! Thank you for serving our country.

by the way, was she Laverne or Shirley?

RICHARD
02-10-2003, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by lovemyshiba

by the way, was she Laverne or Shirley?

she was shirley, not too bright, kinda dumb, you felt sorry for her
because she couldn't carry a thought in a basket------HEY, art imitates life!!:)

Soledad
02-10-2003, 07:21 PM
Mugsy, what on earth did that have to do with "bleeding heart liberals". You have a lot of rhetoric, but little information.

mugsy
02-10-2003, 07:56 PM
That doesn't even deserve a response. You seem to always be in search of an argument and I'm not in the mood to play the game tonight. You know exactly what I mean, and you always have to be so superior, and so all knowing, so, tonight, I'll just let you.

I think that Pat Tillman is awesome!!! How dedicated is he to his country. Cudos to him. Not many people (in fact I don't know anyone) would do what he's doing. I guess there was another football player berating him on the Jim Rome show and he got nailed for being so stupid. It was a breath of fresh air to hear the people of this country rally around the people who are willing to put their lives on the line so that we can sit here and post on Pet Talk.

Soledad
02-10-2003, 08:38 PM
I'm in New Zealand, and I don't think that US soldiers are defending my right to sit in NZ and type on Pet Talk. I think they have more pressing matters.

You are such a knee-jerk conservative it's amazing. I do not know of any "bleeding heart liberal" who disagrees with paying soldiers more. They disagree with massive defense budgets that go to big toys, not to paying out their deserving workers. If liberal are for ANYTHING they are for workers' rights. Regardless of if they're soldiers, janitors, etc.

You've got convictions all you need is information.

mugsy
02-10-2003, 08:58 PM
DO NOT CONDESCEND TO ME! You are way too arrogant for yourself. Liz is right, it seems all you want to do on Pet Talk is stir arguments and anger people by talking down to them in your oh so superior tone.

Soledad
02-10-2003, 09:37 PM
Or, perhaps you can't stand me because I call you out on all of your assumptions. Particularly since you claim you love debate so much, yet shirk from nearly every point I make. Guess it's not as easy when it's not with children.

mugsy
02-11-2003, 04:36 AM
You sure do like to use the phrase with me. I do like to debate, with people who use a credible line of defense and don't rely on rhetoric to back their stuff up and use personal attacks when they're backed into a corner and won't address the issue at hand (which in this case is the fact that our service people are grossly underpaid for putting their lives on the line so people like you can protest anything and everything that strikes your fancy).

Hey Richard, your description of Cindy Williams somehow reminds me of the Don Henley line...."the bubbleheaded bleach blonde comes on at five, tells you about the plane crash with a gleam? in her eye." I think that would describe most of Hollywood however.
:D ;)

nsweezie
02-11-2003, 05:57 AM
Hello!
I hate to be the one to point this out, but this letter was NOT written by Cindy Williams of Laverne and Shirley, rather it was written by Cindy Williams of Massachusetts Institute of Technology .
Please see http://www.snopes.com/military/gipay.htm for further clarification.
We all have to be so careful with the internet, it is really easy to read something and automatically assume it is true just because it is written somewhere on the internet. I read an interview with Cindy Williams of Laverne and Shirley, and she is apparantly very upset that people are attributing this to her.

mugsy
02-11-2003, 06:53 AM
Thanks for the clarification, you're right, you do need to be careful.

DoggiesAreTheBest
02-11-2003, 07:27 AM
Thank you for sharing the article. Regardless of who wrote it, the nerve of the person who wrote it!

According to my husband, the raise was 4% and not 13%. My husband makes a decent salary in the Army because he is an officer. But he could be making a lot more with his skills and training in the real world. But chooses to serve his country.

lovemyshiba
02-11-2003, 09:18 AM
I can see why she would be upset!! Either way, whoever wrote it was not thinking clearly, or just doesn't care.

Dakota's Mommy
02-11-2003, 10:14 AM
I got this email and loved it too! Just like Mike, Brian agreed with everything and also laughed about the MRE's. I know I've heard him tell me that in the past too.

RICHARD
02-11-2003, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by mugsy
That doesn't even deserve a response. You seem to always be in search of an argument and I'm not in the mood to play the game tonight. You know exactly what I mean, and you always have to be so superior, and so all knowing, so, tonight, I'll just let you.

I think that Pat Tillman is awesome!!! How dedicated is he to his country. Cudos to him. Not many people (in fact I don't know anyone) would do what he's doing. I guess there was another football player berating him on the Jim Rome show and he got nailed for being so stupid. It was a breath of fresh air to hear the people of this country rally around the people who are willing to put their lives on the line so that we can sit here and post on Pet Talk.

mugsy,
it's interesting when people die give us dirty laundry.....

yeah, what about the facts??
you can't argue with someone who cannot answer a question
with any kind of sense. that's a fact.
talk about rhetoric....i haven't seen a good fact coming outta the southern hemisphere yet......ask a question and you get a defense....hmmmmmm, sounds like we don't have any thing to argue about except how uninformed we are..

people are like parrots, they repeat one line over and over again....they never change and they become very irritating unless
the line they learn is cute............check it out -toss out a question and you'll get some 'look what i learned/know!' just some tidbit aped across the internet..........oh, i'll say it again, all the antiwar protesters from the 60's turned out to be the biggest sell outs
ever..........just wait a few years.....

i do not base likes and dislikes on anything exept the fact that
anyone can type and opinions are like rectal orifices, everyone has one......

by the way i posted the letter, sorry about that...
mea culpa.....
.......sorry cindy williams the actress....i still don't care for you.....

GO PAT TILLMAN.

RICHARD
02-11-2003, 12:22 PM
mugsy,

another great d henley line.....

as you wander in the wilderness you will hear your own small voice......

mugsy
02-11-2003, 12:29 PM
Ok, I'm claiming ignorance....which Henley song is that from?

RICHARD
02-11-2003, 01:00 PM
little tin god.

i truncated the line

"A new age is dawning
On fewer than expected
Business is usual"
That's how the headline read
Some shaky modern saviors
Have now been resurrected
In all this excitement
You may have been misled
People want a miracle
They say "Oh Lord, can't you see us?
We're tryin' to make a livin' down here
And keep the children fed"
But, from little dark motel rooms
to "Six Flags Over Jesus"
"How are the mighty fallen"
So the Bible said
You don't have to pray to a little tin god
Step out of the way for a little tin god
You might fear the reaper, you might fear the rod
But you never have to get down on your knees
You don't have to holler, "please, please"
No, you never have to get down on your knees
For a little tin god
The cowboy's name was "Jingo"
And he knew that there was trouble
So in a blaze of glory
He rode out of the west
No one was ever certain
What it was that he was sayin'
But they loved it when he told them
They were better than the rest
But you don't have to pray for a little tin god
You might hate to system, hate the job
For a little tin god
Throw down a rope from heaven
And lead the flock to water
The man in the middle would have you think
That you have no other choice
But to wander in the wilderness
Of all the upturned faces
If you stop and listen long enough
You will hear your own small voice
But you don't have to pray to a little tin god
You might fear the reaper, fear the rod
You never have to get down on your knees
For a little tin god

Dixieland Dancer
02-11-2003, 01:06 PM
My son is a Sargeant in the Marines and gets paid very little. It is more than when he was lower ranking but it is still not enough to support a family on. His job..... Combat Engineer.... His duty....he is first line support to land somewhere and defuse landmines before the next batallion arrives!

Anyone who has a problem with giving these boys a raise needs to take a step in his shoes! Your next step could be your last and for what??? One simple thing... to preserve the rights we all enjoy as American Citizens. My guess is it's the anti war rhetoric group that is making the biggest noise about them getting a deserved raise! Do you honestly think these boys want to die???? But yet if they are ordered to so that our precious way of life can be preserved, they do it!!! Give them thanks...not grief! And give me a break too! My son is risking his this very day for all Americans. Even those who oppose him doing so just so they can have the right to oppose him! Think about that for a few minutes and then hang your head in shame for begrudging him and the rest of the military a measly little pay raise!

mugsy
02-11-2003, 01:49 PM
Sorry Candy, but the anti-war protesters will never hang their heads in shame, they think they have a divine providence or something to get their message out.

I stand up and salute your son for putting his butt on the line so that I can live my life the way I have grown accustomed. I salute all the men and women in the military who put it on the line everyday for the rest of us sitting here at home.

Soledad
02-11-2003, 02:06 PM
I didn't have time to do all the research on this I would have liked, but the fact remains, Mugsy has provided none of us with an example of liberals who oppose paying those in the armed forces more money. All she has done is accused "bleeding heart liberals" of being embarrassed by this information. I don't see why anyone WOULD'NT be embarrassed by it, liberal or conservative. I did see others make a leap of judgment that if one is opposed to war, one must be opposed to increased salaries for the armed forces. I would like more than just your hunch as to how this is correct.

I have found that at least one Democratic Senator has supported special tax cuts for Military members.

Democratic Senator Supports Special Military Tax Cuts (http://rockefeller.senate.gov/2002/pr091202.html)

This is called information, not rhetoric or sloganeering. If you can give me actual evidence rather than "I heard blah blah blah" or "I bet those dirty hippies don't want to pay them anything", I'd be happy to discuss.

I find it amusing and perplexing that the two members of PetTalk who consistently supply no information to back up their claims say that *I* do not prove anything. At least I can back up my sources.

mugsy
02-11-2003, 02:11 PM
So put your money where your mouth is...I have seen no souces or proof from you either, so I don't put much merit in your statements against Richard and me since you show no proof for your rhetoric

Soledad
02-11-2003, 02:15 PM
You know what's funny? When people who get accused of something (like, say, spouting rhetoric) fight back by calling the other person the same thing. Very schoolyard, Mugsy.

Did you go to the link I provided? Or could your synapses not make the connection?

mugsy
02-11-2003, 02:24 PM
Soledad, you are an evil meanhearted person who has nothing better to do than to get on here and make yourself feel better by belittling people. You are a bitter person who feels better only by trying to make others look bad. Well Babe....you are NOT going to make me feel stupid or inferior, because I know I'm an intelligent human being with much to give. You NEVER post about your animals and all you want to do is stir crap and make people angry. This is PET talk...yes, this is general, but, this is the only place you ever go with no mention of your animals EVER. I, for one, am happy that you are in New Zealand and hope you stay there forever because we don't need any more anti-American citizens here. The oh poor me and oh poor minority crap has gotten entirely too old for me. Normally I would have sent a PM, but I would like everyone to know where I stand.

Soledad
02-11-2003, 02:29 PM
Mugsy - While we're shooting insults (not started by me), maybe I could take a stab at your life?

You are most likely an intelligent person, but you think you are far smarter and accomplished than you actually are. You beat your schoolkids in arguments and get some sort of pleasure out of it, thinking you are smart for outsmarting 12 year olds. You then take that "debating prowess" to Pettalk, and when confronted with actual facts and real debating tactics you cower and crumble and realise how limited your abilities really are. Stick to your sad Midwestern existence with your fifteen dogs. Stick with your sad little arguments that have little proof to back them up, but make you feel good. Stick with your easy answers and your easy life because when you think about it too much you realise it might all be crap.

I am sick and tired of being told I am anti-American because I do not agree with you. Get a real argument.

Ann
02-11-2003, 03:21 PM
I haven't been following these threads really since I am sick of bothering, but I do feel the need to reply to one thing.

the anti-war protesters will never hang their heads in shame, they think they have a divine providence or something to get their message out.

From what I've noticed it's mainly the pro-war people who think they have divine providence. You know, all the stuff about "God bless the USA" or "God is on our side" and so on. Never really seen it the other way around actually.

ChrisH
02-11-2003, 03:31 PM
.......I stand up and salute your son for putting his butt on the line so that I can live my life the way I have grown accustomed. I salute all the men and women in the military who put it on the line everyday for the rest of us sitting here at home.
Well said Molly, I salute them too, both of your country and of mine.

Chris

Soledad
02-11-2003, 03:35 PM
As do I. I hope our soldiers start getting the pay they deserve, though no one can every truly compensate them with money for the huge job that they do.

Dixieland Dancer
02-11-2003, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by Soledad
As do I. I hope our soldiers start getting the pay they deserve, though no one can every truly compensate them with money for the huge job that they do.

Agreed!!

Nomilynn
02-11-2003, 03:54 PM
Soledad - I'm not here to make a comment about anything other than you might want to edit your post and remove the profanity. This is a site that young children use, as well as people who find that language offensive.

Logan
02-11-2003, 03:54 PM
Mugsy - While we're shooting insults (not started by me), maybe I could take a stab at your life?

You are most likely an intelligent person, but you think you are far smarter and accomplished than you actually are. You beat your schoolkids in arguments and get some sort of pleasure out of it, thinking you are smart for outsmarting 12 year olds. You then take that "debating prowess" to Pettalk, and when confronted with actual facts and real debating tactics you cower and crumble and realise how limited your abilities really are. Stick to your sad Midwestern existence with your fifteen dogs. Stick with your sad little arguments that have little proof to back them up, but make you feel good. Stick with your easy answers and your easy life because when you think about it too much you realise it might all be shit.

I am sick and tired of being told I am anti-American because I do not agree with you. Get a real argument.

I think it is a sad day when members of this community resort to namecalling and pointing out of specific members for what they do and how they do it. You can make all the arguments you want to about political issues or religion and I will keep out of it, but I think that this forum, for all the good it does, does not need someone like you, Soledad, coming in and trashing it's members for their lifestyle, profession or where they live. I know you will have a comeback to offer up on this one, and I suppose I am ready since I have finally responded to one of your attacks, but leave the personal things out of your arguments and you will gain a lot more respect in this community, even from those of us who choose to stay out of the fray.

Dakota's Mommy
02-11-2003, 03:55 PM
As a military wife, I completely agree with you Dixieland Dancer. I personally felt this way before my husband took that oath and joined up, but now that he's in, I am around the military and see more and more of what this letter is about. It's pretty bad when our military is on food stamps, WIC, etc. just to feed their family when they are risking their lives for our rights. As as for the spouces to work, not around these areas, at least not the one I'm in now. So many of these people want to go out and get jobs, but they'd be losing money by trying to go out and work. The daycare (not free) costs more for one of their kids than they can get paid. So even if you only have 1, you're losing more money on daycare than you can make by working and sending them to that daycare. It's just not worth it.

Military life is a hard way of life! And I personally feel that our soldiers deserve to get more money not just because of what they do, but because their pay is crazy to try to live off of! I know, we tried to do it for a few month when we first got her. Luckily, I was able to get a job!

Soledad
02-11-2003, 03:57 PM
What about the things that Mugsy said?

I am very willing to take responsibility for what I said to Mugsy, but I think it has to be pointed out that she has been calling me "smug" "arrogant" and "anti-American" for a while now. I feel very offended by the things she says to me, yet no one calls her out on her accusations and insults.

Soledad, you are an evil meanhearted person who has nothing better to do than to get on here and make yourself feel better by belittling people. You are a bitter person who feels better only by trying to make others look bad.

RICHARD
02-11-2003, 04:08 PM
What about the things that Mugsy said?

I am very willing to take responsibility for what I said to Mugsy, but I think it has to be pointed out that she has been calling me "smug" "arrogant" and "anti-American" for a while now. I feel very offended by the things she says to me, yet no one calls her out on her accusations and insults.

MUGSY, SORRY OLD GAL, I'M CALLING YOU OUT, DARLING...

YOU FORGOT.... SHAMELESSY UNABLE TO DEFEND A POINT,
the inability to discuss said points, rude to the point of boredom, and willing to talk without saying anything.

oh, and loves to hear the sound of her own voice.

en espanol, soledad means alone......hmmmmmmmm

Soledad
02-11-2003, 04:12 PM
Richard, Soledad means solitude. And Richard can be shortened to Dick.

Your point?

mugsy
02-11-2003, 04:20 PM
Richard....are you calling me OLD!! lol I happen to be only 41 years old (and as John Adams says in 1776....I still have my virility...well....lets not go there!! lol) Now, understand that many members on here make me FEEL old!! hehehehe

nsweezie
02-11-2003, 04:35 PM
I wonder if this thread could perhaps be pulled by Karen.
I really hate to read some of the posts, the language has gone too far in my opinion, as another poster mentioned there are many children who read these posts.

RICHARD
02-11-2003, 04:36 PM
Richard, Soledad means solitude. And Richard can be shortened to Dick.

Your point?

oh, my feelings........
i'll be a dick all my life......

try again, darling......

see dick type, type dick type.
see dick make a point. see dick argue his point.
see dick score points, see dick raise the hackles on evil.
see dick laugh, laugh dick laugh.

see dick having a grand old time..........alone!
see dick once again slam evil....
laugh dick laugh.

see dick enjoy himself...

oh mugsy,
don't be so smug, intelligent women are sexy......(don't tell you hubby he's libel to tobey k me..............

laugh some more dick- there's still daylight left

mugsy
02-11-2003, 04:59 PM
Too late....he read it!! <EG>

Miss Meow
02-11-2003, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by RICHARD

... talk about rhetoric....i haven't seen a good fact coming outta the southern hemisphere yet......

Has this forum turned in a place where we can generally insult people??? :( I'm sure you didn't mean anything by it Richard, but ouch.

Upsidedown and a tad sensitive ...

RICHARD
02-11-2003, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by Miss Meow

Has this forum turned in a place where we can generally insult people??? :( I'm sure you didn't mean anything by it Richard, but ouch.

Upsidedown and a tad sensitive ...

I'd like to apologize for that one, people in lost angeles seem to
(no not you gini;)) tend to generalize and lose our minds when
we get rolling....again, I hope you look at the comment for what it is.......another whacked out comment made by a foolish, addled,
from the land of fruits and nuts kinda guy.

I hope you accept my apology.

or how's about this? you can let me swim in the GBR with 10 kilos of raw steak stapled to my back......

Miss Meow
02-12-2003, 02:41 AM
Don't worry about the steak as you may be chased by sharks during your swim. You can do the dishes at my dinner party instead ;)

Cataholic
02-12-2003, 09:59 AM
Don't worry about the steak as you may be chased by sharks during your swim. You can do the dishes at my dinner party instead ;)

WHAT?? I better go right home and check my mail. I do NOT remember seeing an invite.....boo hoo hoo....and I haven't EVER been to Australia (that's a different place than Austria, right?)

mugsy
02-12-2003, 10:06 AM
Gee Jo, do you think there might be a reason for that??? hehehehe <EG> j/k

RICHARD
02-12-2003, 12:52 PM

i also do windows......thanks!

Miss Meow
02-12-2003, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by Cataholic

WHAT?? I better go right home and check my mail. I do NOT remember seeing an invite.....boo hoo hoo....and I haven't EVER been to Australia (that's a different place than Austria, right?)

He he he, I have missed you the last few days :) Good to see you're back. I'm having a problem locating some of my guests so you and the herd are more than welcome. Just look for the house with the Californian out the front washing the windows :D

Jo, who are you inviting to your party?

Ann
02-12-2003, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by nsweezie
I really hate to read some of the posts, the language has gone too far in my opinion.

No offence, but if you hate reading the posts so much why do you? I doubt anyone's forcing you...

RICHARD
02-12-2003, 03:29 PM

Just look for the house with the Californian out the front washing the windows :D

thank god i didn't mention being able do to roofing, some plumbing, drywall, some wood work, gardening, electrical
and cooking.

mugsy
02-12-2003, 03:39 PM
You have now! lol

Cataholic
02-12-2003, 03:43 PM
Ah, HAH! Someone diiiddddd notice my absence, thank you Nicole! I will look for the silly Californian outfront doing miscellaneous yard duties, and I will be looking forward to some yummy native food...what do you people eat over there? Do you have stoves? Really, what would be a 'native' Australian dish?

I am inviting no one to my party, as I am not going to have one. My house is only big enough for six tuxies, one hooman, and an occasional....he he he..

Soledad
02-12-2003, 03:46 PM
Actually Australia and New Zealand don't have stoves. In fact, we don't even have running water.

I don't know how I'm able to get on the internet with my mud computer, either.;)

Miss Meow
02-12-2003, 05:43 PM
Actually Australia and New Zealand don't have stoves. In fact, we don't even have running water.

I don't know how I'm able to get on the internet with my mud computer, either.;)

You've got a mud computer - GET OUT! There's a two year waiting list here for one of those! I have to send my carrier pigeon to Japan with my messages, and have someone there log in as me and post them!

Jo, our native food includes witchetty grubs (sp), goanna, snake and vegemite to name but a few. Needless to say, you won't be getting that at my place!

Soledad
02-12-2003, 05:52 PM
You forgot Tim Tams, Miss Meow. Food of the GODS!!

Yeah, I got a mud computer fairly easily. Must be cause I'm American and they want to impress us with their flash new technology.

It's still a pain in the neck to have to heat up water in kangaroo pouches, though. ;)

RICHARD
02-12-2003, 05:55 PM

Jo, our native food includes witchetty grubs (sp), goanna, snake and vegemite to name but a few. Needless to say, you won't be getting that at my place!

i'll gladly eat anything off of a 'roo guard......but it has to be fresh....i've seen what vegemite looks like......axle grease!!!!

mugsy
02-12-2003, 07:37 PM
Gee now THERE'S an appetizing thought! lol

Cincy'sMom
02-12-2003, 08:04 PM

thank god i didn't mention being able do to roofing, some plumbing, drywall, some wood work, gardening, electrical
and cooking.

And when did you want to visit Ohio?

Cataholic
02-13-2003, 09:36 AM
Vegemite??? That is what the song refers to by Down Under...and a vegemite sandwhich??? I just came to that realization, and after all these years. What IS a vegemite sandwhich?

And, what are those other things you named?

RICHARD
02-13-2003, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by Cincy'sMom

And when did you want to visit Ohio?

ummmm......when the snow melts?

:)

the funniest thing about california is seeing who the out of towners are. when you see people walking down the street, in shorts, when the weather gets chilly-chances are they are visiting!

Cinder & Smoke
02-13-2003, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by Cataholic
Vegemite???
... What IS a vegemite sandwhich?

Vegemite...
An Australian Legend :rolleyes:
-or-
Possibly ~ an Australian Bad Dream...? :p

Page from the Vegemite Site (http://www.vegemite.com.au/bornbread.asp?area=6)

A "First Taste" review of Vegemite (http://www.sierratimes.com/02/04/05/dorothy.htm)

:p :D

Cincy'sMom
02-13-2003, 03:52 PM

ummmm......when the snow melts?

:)

the funniest thing about california is seeing who the out of towners are. when you see people walking down the street, in shorts, when the weather gets chilly-chances are they are visiting!

I was one of those weirdo's when I lived in AZ for one winter! 60 degrees is NOT chilly!!!

And Ralph and I would keep you busy enough replumbing the bathroom, drywalling the basement and upstiars, you wouldn't een have time to notice the snow :)

mugsy
02-13-2003, 04:54 PM
He can help Mike with the bathroom and putting the floor down! He can stop in Indiana on the way to Ohio.

Miss Meow
02-13-2003, 05:14 PM
Vegemite is a concentrated spread made from yeast extract. To be specific, it's the leftover dregs of yeast used in the beer brewing process (I used to work at Kraft Foods and got the whole factory visit!) It's black and sludgy and looks like something you'd use to patch up potholes in the road. Getting hungry? It smells like a mix of rotting shoes and salt. It's one of those things you either hate or love. I am firmly in the hate category. I'd rather spread my car oil on toast than that stuff :)

Witchetty grubs are kind of like a big centipede without the legs, but fatter and yellow and white in colour. Apparently you throw them on the campfire and eat them whole. It's more of a protein food for Aboriginals who are still on the land and intrepid travellers. Luckily we have those supermarket things :) Isn't it amazing how we grow up with food biases?

Soledad
02-13-2003, 05:27 PM
Vegemite and Marmite....absolutely revolting. Majorly shocking for me when I first came here. Yikes!

But then I heard about the great "super-market" I rode my emu to the nearest one! Too bad you have to pack all your goods on your back for the ride home. If only we had cars....

;)