PDA

View Full Version : how do you catch them?

marysmerrycats
02-10-2003, 01:41 AM
the black kitty was back earlier tonight. out there just crying. I don't quite know what he/she wants. well I thought he was gone, hadn't seen him for over a week. after I heard him, or her, I brought out water and canned food. the cat looks fat, but I can't get close enough to see him that well, oh no, what if its a pregnant female? the kitty seems to like coming here, but runs from me when I go outside. he/she hesitated when it was jumping over the fence to the next yard, so it makes me wonder if this kitty is going to be a mommy? that might sound odd, but I can't get that close, I can just see its big.
so, is it a pregnant stray, or a fat cat that belongs to someone else?
any suggestions, , should I try to catch it? just keep feeding it and talking to it? I can't afford any more cats, and right now I don't want any more. but I can't let the poor thing be cold and hungry. tomorrow I am going to fix it up an even better shelter, in case it is expecting. I will try to get a pic of it if I see it tomorrow and I bet I will since I fed it canned food!(oh no, Im weakening)

aly
02-10-2003, 02:34 AM
Can you rent a live trap from a local feral rescue group or shelter? They work well for catching the feral or shy kitties.

moosmom
02-10-2003, 09:25 AM
Mary,

See if you can get a "Have-A-Heart" trap from your local shelter or Humane Society.

It is possible that the cat is pregnant. If you can see, look to see if the nipples are pink and enlarged. If they are then yes, she's probably pregnant.

Don't feed her. Get a can of sardines and dribble some juice leading to the trap. Put a tiny piece at the entrance to the trap. Then put the rest on a paper plate in the farthest corner of the trap. Cover the trap with an old sheet or blanket and just wait. If she's hungry enough, she'll go for it. Don't leave the trap unattended. Once she's in it, keep it covered as it will calm her down.

If you're going to set up a shelter, get a 20 gal rubbermaid tub. Cut a hole in it, flip it over so the cover is on the bottom and line it with newspaper, a blanket and straw. At least if she HAS to stay outside, she'll have some kind of shelter to keep her from the elements.

Call me if you need me and keep me posted. Whatever you do, if this cat is feral, DO NOT let it out of the trap. You will need to get a small cage or something to contain her in so she can have her babies in peace.

Good luck, honey. It's a huge undertaking but well worth it. Damn those irresponsible pet owners :mad: :mad: :mad:

marysmerrycats
02-10-2003, 06:43 PM
I should be seeing the kitty anytime, in the next few hours. but I put a big box and blankets and its food dishes out there, on the side of the house where it is private.
I will check into the traps, and I have one of those storage things you mentioned, not sure if its 20 gallon, but its pretty big.
if I get this cat into the trap, then what? what are the traps like, the cat goes in there, and then the trap comes down over it?
then I supose I have to grab this cat and cage it? :eek: :(
I better get some thik gloves. do you just grab the cat by the scruff?
how do I know if this cat belongs to someone?
I will look for the kitty, I want it to be taken care of.
Jen, are you laughing? haha, mom of 6 cats, 7, now 12, hahaha
:eek: :eek:

moosmom
02-11-2003, 08:11 AM
Mary,

Once the cat is in the trap, providing you have a cage for it to go in (which would be wise, as they are fairly inexpensive), just put the trap into the cage door and open the door to the trap. I can guarantee you she'll go in. Make sure you have fresh water, a litterbox, food and, and if there's enough room, a small box lined with plastic and old towels (in case she IS pregnant). Then just leave her be. She's going to be scared, but if you put a nightlight and radio with classical music. Give her time to calm down and get acclamated. Do you have a spare room to put her in away from your cats??? If so, that would be best. After about 48 hours, go and sit in the room and talk softly to her her, slowly blinking your eyes to let her know everything is okay. If she comes up to you in the cage and wants to be petted, then she's not feral, she is obviously someone's pet (yours????? :D). Keep me posted.

Randi
02-11-2003, 09:40 AM
Mary, I agree with moosmom, but if the cat is as wild as Fister was, then I would leave it in the first trap. You may be able to get the cat to go into the next cage - but remember, it has to be a strong one! If you try to grab the cat and it's a wild one, you may not succeed and you will not be able to trap that cat again for a long time!!

Have you got a picture of the traps you have in mind??

Is there perhaps some organisation you can call to help with the trapping and then have the cat fixed later?

Good luck!! :)

Please keep us posted!

marysmerrycats
02-11-2003, 10:53 AM
I don't have ANY traps in mind, I will have to call around today.
I am going to try to help the kitty. I just hope this is not for nothing, I mean if it is someones pet aroound here, and they let him out at night... I might take him?her? anyway! they should keep their cat inside at least at night.

I hope I don't seem cold hearted, just that I might have to take Muffin and Callie back here, and they were getting along so well together, but Muffin is scratching the furniture and Callie is peeing on the carpet. I think they need more attention... it's always something.

and I am still in a mess in this not -so -new -anymore- house!LOL
oh well

moosmom
02-12-2003, 08:02 AM
Mary,

Like I told you last night, if the cat is as feral as Fister was, the best thing you could do for him is just set up a shelter and feeding area for him. At least you know he'll be taken care of. You could trap him and bring him to a vet to be fixed and then him out when you get back home. That'll be one less cat making babies.

Good luck, hon. If you need me, just give me a call.

(((hugs)))

wolfsoul
02-13-2003, 07:43 PM
maybe while u r trying to catch the cat u could ask some neighbors if they know who might own it, or if theyve ever seen it...u could get a better idea on if its a stray or not ;)