PDA

View Full Version : How often do you walk your dog?

*LabLoverKEB*
10-06-2001, 05:25 PM
I walk Sadie about once or twice a day, sometimes even more! Poor Sadie.... she hasen't been walked very much lately... I've been soooo busy with school! Have you ever walked 2 or more dogs at once? I have, and it can be very difficult!! One dog wants to go that way, one wants to go this way, one wants to sniff something, the other one has to take a "potty" break.... it's very hard! Thanks!

LabLover & Sadie :)

KayAnn
10-06-2001, 06:01 PM
Simba gets 2-3 walks a day, normally its just around the block, but sometimes(atleast once a week) we go for a BIG walk like all around the neighborhood! Ive walked like 3 dogs at the smae time, there was Simba, a pit bull named Kovie and a schnauzer names Simon, they acted and behaved well caus they looked up to Simba, they would follow him on the walk and i was on rollar blades.. :eek: i dont walk dogs that much any more cause its soooooo hot! but me kovie, sim and simon used to go for walks everyday and i didnt even charge the owner because i loved doing it! ill do anything to be around a pit bull!!!!!

aly
10-06-2001, 06:35 PM
I take my dogs for short walks about 4 times a day. I always walk them both at once and since they're both great on a leash, its easy as pie. However, I have walked two or more dogs at a time at the shelter who weren't good on a leash. I don't do it very often, but there are times when I need to. Let me tell you, it is absolutely insane trying to walk two 80+ pound shelter dogs who are so happy to get out of the kennel, they want to run to China.

kobieeli
10-06-2001, 07:20 PM
K & E get one fairly long morning walk, and then one strenuous "activity" in the evening: for instance, a run with us on rollerblades/bikes, a trip to a park for off-leash fetch and play, or some time at my in-laws' house romping in their one-acre yard with dogs and horses. Our pooches sleep pretty well at night after having fun like that! :D

[ October 06, 2001: Message edited by: kobieeli ]

*LabLoverKEB*
10-06-2001, 07:33 PM
WoW!!!!! :D I just posted this topic like, ten minutes ago, and there are already 3 posts!!! :eek: :eek: Thank you! KayAnn, if you go to "Dog General" there are 2 topics just for you! :) Enjoy! And, aren't Kovie and Simon, Love_4_Pits' dogs? I remember her, she is a member here at Pet Talk, I wonder where she is?? :confused: I haven't seen her post in a looooog time! Well, thanks everybody, I'm going to take my Sadie girl for her afternoon walk now! :)

KayAnn
10-06-2001, 07:58 PM
yes they are now, its a really long story, and she has told me shes been haveing computer troubles :(

K9karen
10-06-2001, 10:01 PM
There goes Aly......on her way to China! :D :D I remember those days all tooooo well!!! Cody is used to one long walk at night, for some reason he rarely likes to walk in the daytime, he'd rather sit on the porch and watch the world go by. I probably trained him that way, getting home late from work etc, and didn't realize it. He is very territorial and will deviate on 2 specific routes, but our blocks are fairly long so he gets a lot of good sniffing in ( :D) and definitely leaves his mark to let all the other dog intruders know he was there first!Thank God I'm to the point I can hold his leash with one finger or even around my neck and he's pretty good at stopping to a dead halt if I say "car coming, stay" or crossing a street, but I still would never trust him off lead. I remember when he was around 2 and it had snoed a foot and he pulled me to run, I slipped and we did an idotitron down the street, tore my pants at the knees and had 2 huge boo-boos that were very attractive, and yes, I burst out in tears from embarassment ("look at that girl who can't control her dog")and pain. Sorry for the boring story! :rolleyes:

Daisy's Mom
10-06-2001, 11:24 PM
My mom takes Daisy for a 4 mile walk every few days, and I take her about once a day if I have time. I live in a huge field and all my neighbors are my realtives, so we are lucky enough to be able to let Daisy outside to do her own thing. She takes her own walks sometimes and visits everyone! :)

3-greys-and-a-mutt
10-07-2001, 11:45 AM
We take ours for long walks a few times a week. We have a fenced-in backyard, so they play alot and wear themselves out right at home. Pup often doesn't get to go on walks though, because, with her hip dyplasia, she would be sore for days afterward.
We often walk two or three of the greyhounds together, and they are easy to manage. Some people we know who have 16 greyhounds will often walk 6 a piece.

carrie
10-07-2001, 05:48 PM
Karen, not boring, but I have to admit to a tiny giggle as I imagined it! I am ashamed and guilty about it and beg forgiveness....oh shoot! there was another one!!!!!

I used to walk four to six dogs at a time (Greyhounds) and my sister came to visit for a few days I thought nothing of giving her three - oooops! They turned into dervishes!! The Beagle behind the French doors that always greeted our passing by bringing itself to the very edge of a coronary and had always been ignored with haughty disdain was suddenly, apparently, a bunny that needed to be brought down at all costs! My poor sister found herself being dragged on her stomach up and down the lawn of our only neighbours for miles around. The neighbours, very helpfully, thought this was the funniest thing they had ever seen and called more and more family members to the windows so they could enjoy it too. The four dogs I had, meanwhile, refused to have any part of it and stood as if all was well with the world. I, to my shame, stood with them, trying to work out why this had happened as my sister continued her, very fast, trips up and down the French windows. It was only stopped when the owner of the house came out to help as he was worried about the mud slide developing on his lawn. My sister was fine, just a few scratches on her tummy from twigs on the ground and some rather deeper scratches on her back where the dogs had to run over her. Several years later she even began to speak to me again. (I was about fifteen at the time and nothing like that has ever happened again because of what I learned that day. It was one of those Eureka!! moments.) She never let go of the dogs because she says all she could think of was how angry and upset I would be if she let go!!! Awwwwwww!

Paddy gets what I call "real dog time" at least every other day. I hate this as it should be every day. When Foot and Mouth hit us we were very restricted on free running space for dogs ( and people). Our part of the Country is open again and he has at least two hours at a time where his only constraint is that I know where he is and several recalls - other than that he is free to do his own thing. He also has a short reinforcement of basics and goes for a quick run in the woods every day. I groom him myself every day too.

Rottie
10-08-2001, 11:01 AM
I never walk my dogs. For exercise, I go outside and play with them, and sometimes we'll will walk out to the back field, but I never really consider that a "walk". We do go out quite a bit to dog shows, parades, training classes, whatever, where they sometimes have to walk a bit, but other than that we don't go for walks. :) Kind of strange, huh?

Dixieland Dancer
10-08-2001, 11:14 AM
I don't walk my dogs either! Our backyard is almost a acre of ground and borders the woods so we have lots of running area. I take the dogs out several times a day and play frisbee and tennis ball catch with them. Dixie just loves frisbee and Dusty likes anything mama has in her mouth as long as he can wrestle it away from her.

When I do have to walk them, I take both of them at the same time. They are trained to walk on a loose leash so it's never a problem. :D

karen israel
10-08-2001, 02:21 PM
Yuk! Yuk! Yuk! Carrie!! Who's laughing NOW? The vision of your sister being trampled and not letting go and being pulled as more of the family looks out (at her expense) made me just about pee myself!! Beats MY meager iditotran by a mile!!! I can just picture you just standing there in total control! Way TOO funny!!!!! I would have been cryin-laughin til my ribs ached!! :D :D :D

joycenalex
10-08-2001, 08:22 PM
carrie, my mental picture of your poor sister, the frenzied dogs and you standing statue still made me giggle, alot! poor sis!
hehehe...
since i live in an apartment, i try very hard to take alex for daily walks of at least 45-60 minutes. i don't have a yard, merely a tie-out, and i won't/don't leave him out there unsupervised for more then 5 minutes. on the weekends or other off days, we go for a longer walk or a park for some serious sniffing, running and marking. there are a couple of large flat parks near here where we practice off leash recalls and he runs around sniffing everything. i'm planning on buying a house in the near future and as part of the neighborhood check, we'll walk the neighborhood first!