PDA

View Full Version : This is why I am an atheist..

COCatMama
02-08-2003, 12:09 PM
watching CNN (prolly shouldn't do that) but the US Government had to issue a warning to jews about possible terrorist acts against 'Jewish' businesses etc.
Ridiculous, to attack someone based on their faith but that's the way the world has been since people discovered religion, and I don't think it's gonna change until We move past the need for religion, or at least the need to prove one religion is better than another. I am sooooo sick and tired of the whole 'oh XYZ religion is the infidel/inferior blah blah blah'
I don't believe in God but I couldn't believe in anyone that allowed the kind of evil that is constantly going on this planet.

shais_mom
02-08-2003, 12:38 PM
You know, it's a free world, and I respect that so, more power to you but why do WE have to keep hearing about it? It seems like whenever we get over the turmoil of the athesist posts and non religion posts here we go again. Do you like to keep things stirred up?

Cookiebaker
02-08-2003, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by shais_mom
You know, it's a free world, and I respect that so, more power to you but why do WE have to keep hearing about it? It seems like whenever we get over the turmoil of the athesist posts and non religion posts here we go again. Do you like to keep things stirred up?

Well said, Shai's Mom! Pettalk isn't supposed to be a contraversial website, and that's why I enjoy it so much. It's not that I am closing my eyes to the fact that there are controversial subjects in this world, but why bring them to a neutral meeting ground?????

COCatMama
02-08-2003, 12:42 PM
not trying to 'stir #$% up' just disgusted with the world, tired of the constant 'terrorist' alerts and the stupid things people start wars over.

zippy-kat
02-08-2003, 01:27 PM
I'm glad we have the religious diversity here on pettalk but I am sick and tired of posts (not just your's Lalania, there are many others) that turn into religious debates.

Posts with such a strong title are sure to raise hackles on each side. But knowing such, I'm not certain why athiests post and expect not to get a word or so of Christian advice... and on the flip side, I'm not sure why the Christians post and expect not to get an "un-religious" or "differing religious" point of view.

I think religion is one of those topics that is hard to discuss in a grown up manner. As we have proven, time and time again people are passionate in what they belive (thank goodness for that) and there are going to be deferences of opinion (thank goodness for that!) but often the discussion takes a brupt turn into name calling, slander... you name it. And that's not a bit constructive.

Lalania, I'm sorry to have chosen your post to rant in. Nothing personal, just bottled up feelings.

COCatMama
02-08-2003, 01:29 PM
that's alright Zips
but like I said, it's all this terrorist alert garbage directed at one group of people merely because of their religious affiliation that bothers me. Doesn't really matter what religion you have or do not have we're all flawed human beings and it's a dumb bloody reason to target someone for war or otherwise :mad:

zippy-kat
02-08-2003, 01:33 PM
with people being people, they'd just find something else to go to war about.

COCatMama
02-08-2003, 01:52 PM
truuuuue if it's not one dumb reason, it's another eh? ;)

momoffuzzyfaces
02-08-2003, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by zippy-kat
with people being people, they'd just find something else to go to war about.
Seems like our country fought a war because one group wanted to keep another group as slaves. No religion involved. I have two ancestors who where Native American. Ran off their land; way of life destroied. No religion involved. The point being: some people being the greedy souls they sometimes are, are afraid someone else is going to have things better than they do or more. So if they can't have what the other one has, they destroy. Sometimes people are just bullies.
Lots of religious groups are at least trying to make life better for people.

I can't understand why the elevated alert in the US would bother people in other countries. It doesn't bother me and I live here. Just wondering.

COCatMama
02-08-2003, 02:36 PM
ah but some of that was related to 'religion' because the euros thought the natives were 'savages' for not being christians, and tried to convert as many as they could (or just kill them)

momoffuzzyfaces
02-08-2003, 02:51 PM
Not really. That was just an excuse used by people who weren't really religious to take the land away from the rightful owners. Sometimes people claim to be religious when it meets their purposes but they really aren't. Someone who really loves God and wants to do His will, tries to do what He would want and He wants us to love each other and get along.

LoudLou
02-08-2003, 02:59 PM
I never told my own religion nor scrutinized that of another. I never attempted to make a convert, nor wished to change another's creed. I am satisfied that yours must be an excellent religion to have produced a life of such exemplary virtue and correctness. For it is in our lives, and not from our words, that our religion must be judged. -------

Thomas Jefferson
1816, in a letter to Mrs. H. Harrison Smith

popcornbird
02-08-2003, 04:32 PM
Its a free world. You don't have to believe in God. Its your choice, and its my choice to have full faith in God and I am proud of that. I don't believe all the crap going on in the world is because of religion. That is just being used as an excuse. If it wasn't religion, it would be something else. It could be wealth. It could be poverty. It could be rainforests. It could be gold. That's the way humans are. They will always find some reason to spoil the world. We never told you that disbelief in God and lack of faith is the cause lack of moral values/distruption is society, and I wish that we wouldn't be told religion is the cause either.

Dixieland Dancer
02-08-2003, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by shais_mom

I agree with Staci! You do like to stir up the religion theme and debate it on Pet Talk. Actually I think you like to start "war" with the Christians of Pet Talk by your threads that announce "you are an athiest". I guess I could post a similar kind of thread stating "I am a Christian" but I don't! This is a very scary and uncertain time in our history and we don't need a professed athiest adding to the issues. These kind of war starting threads are better off never keyed on the keyboard!

Oh by the way.... when you die you will find out one way or the other. Either you are right or I am right. Let's just agree to wait until that happens to find out! There are many other bulletin boards that would welcome this kind of thread but I don't think Pet Talk is one of them!

popcornbird
02-08-2003, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by Dixieland Dancer

I agree with Staci! You do like to stir up the religion theme and debate it on Pet Talk. Actually I think you like to start "war" with the Christians of Pet Talk by your threads that announce "you are an athiest". I guess I could post a similar kind of thread stating "I am a Christian" but I don't! This is a very scary and uncertain time in our history and we don't need a professed athiest adding to the issues. These kind of war starting threads are better off never keyed on the keyboard!

Oh by the way.... when you die you will find out one way or the other. Either you are right or I am right. Let's just agree to wait until that happens to find out! There are many other bulletin boards that would welcome this kind of thread but I don't think Pet Talk is one of them!

Agreed! You'll find out when you die. But then it will be too late.

mugsy
02-08-2003, 07:42 PM
I see your point Lalania. Somehow religion does seem to creep into just about all wars. The Crusades come to mind. The fighting in Northern Ireland, the Islamic Jihad (sorry if I misspelled that), just to name a couple. I just wish everyone would let everyone worship (or not) the way they choose and leave it alone. It's like the door to door missionaries....just leave me alone to decide as I please. I have heard that the end of the world will come with fighting in the Middle East, but, it's gone on for so long, who knows. You know, all this talk of war is so tired that it makes me tired thinking about it!

AdoreMyDogs
02-08-2003, 09:55 PM
Perfectlly said, Staci. Couldn't have said it any better myself. This post is a prime example of why I have not been coming to PT much any more. I guess I just don't have the tolerence as some people may have, but I find subject's like "This is why I am an atheist" to be insulting and completely unnecessary.

It's posts like this that spoil it for me.

Aspen and Misty
02-08-2003, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by AdoreMyDogs
Perfectlly said, Staci. Couldn't have said it any better myself. This post is a prime example of why I have not been coming to PT much any more. I guess I just don't have the tolerence as some people may have, but I find subject's like "This is why I am an atheist" to be insulting and completely unnecessary.

It's posts like this that spoil it for me.

Ya, I've been noticing you havn't been posting latly. You could just hang out in the dog and cat places. I know the genrals normally don't have anything about religions :D

Ash

Twisterdog
02-08-2003, 11:24 PM
To everyone who is offended by religious/atheist/controversial posts on this site or any other site I would like to suggest ... then don't open the post. If it offends you, or if you don't want to debate or read something contrary to your views ... then just don't read it! No one is forcing anyone to read anything here or anywhere else. It is indeed a free country.

I think this post is perfectly acceptable here ... it is the "General" catergory, afterall.

Don't like the subject? Don't read the post!

Just MHO.

Kfamr
02-09-2003, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by Twisterdog

Don't like the subject? Don't read the post!

I couldn't agree anymore.
The reason I don't posts about pit bull attacks; I don't like them.

I'm atheist. I just don't beleive in the things other beleive in and i can't beleive in something unless I see it. Who's ever saw "God", does he actually exist, does someone know he's actually up there? If that's what you beleive in, and you thinks he's up there okie doke, but that doesn't mean I HAVE to.