PDA

View Full Version : This is getting scary...

Tanya&Fritz
02-07-2003, 10:21 AM
U.S. to raise threat level

For only the second time ever, President Bush plans to raise the national terror threat level from "elevated" to "high" -- "yellow" to "orange" on the government's warning system. A news conference with Attorney General John Ashcroft and Homeland Security Secretary Tom Ridge is set for 1 p.m. EST.

aly
02-07-2003, 10:52 AM
I am very scared. Did you see Bush's statement yesterday evening? It was scary stuff..

Tanya&Fritz
02-07-2003, 10:55 AM
And where the heck have you been? Did you sign up for the gift exchange? Fritz would love to buy Reece a little toy.

Dixieland Dancer
02-07-2003, 11:08 AM
It is very scarey indeed. Our son called this morning from Japan and said their batallions plans were changed in the last few days. They were originally going into the middle east region but now are being deployed to Korea! :eek: Just one more thing to scare me! :eek: I am sure glad I have my younger son and the puppers to hug when I get home!

Tanya&Fritz
02-07-2003, 11:13 AM
It must be so scary having your son involved in this. If a war breaks out, a lot of my friends will have to go too. I just have such an awful feeling about all of this today.

Albea
02-07-2003, 11:38 AM
If this is happening today, can you imagine what will be the consequences of a war? When the terrorists bring the war to us, we, unlike Vice- President Cheney, will not have "an undisclosed location" to hide. I wish I could say "I don't want to think about it," but I have hardly though about anything else lately.

Pam
02-07-2003, 11:42 AM
Tanya it is on the TV now. I can't ever remember a time like this. My stomach is in a constant knot. :(

lovemyshiba
02-07-2003, 12:38 PM
I agree--I just saw it on the news, and it is scary. The worst part is, we can't do anything about it.
My stepmother and 2 sisters are in Florida right now, I was so worried about them until they called to say they were in their hotels.
My husband and I were discussing having children the other day, and neither one of us wants to until we see whats going on in the world. Very scary.

NoahsMommy
02-07-2003, 02:00 PM
Is IS scary, but you can't let "them" do this to you. If "they" see fear, they've won.

Don't allow a possibility to worry you, worry is unconstructive. Concentrate on your loved ones and furkids. Make where you live a better place.

I know its hard, but we are bigger and better than anything anyone can throw at us. By "we", I mean each person, not just those in the U.S.

Take care, pray, love each other and stand tall.

God Bless!

Dixieland Dancer,
You must be so scared for your son. He and all that are with him are heros in my eyes. Know that I'll be praying for a safe return home.

mugsy
02-07-2003, 03:42 PM
I have heard reports that it could be under control in as little as 24 hours after it starts. We are so much more technologically advanced it's not even funny. My only fear would be the biological crap, IF he could get it out of the country. From the way it sounds Powell made a pretty powerful argument for war, swaying just about all except the French and the Germans.

Dakota's Mommy
02-07-2003, 03:55 PM
My only fear would be the biological crap
You and me both Mugsy! Especially for all of our soldiers who are overseas. And I know how you feel Dixieland Dancer, I'm so scared of where Brian, my husband, will end up in the next few months and what he will be doing.

One thing is for sure, I am a supporter of all of our troops and proud of what they do for our country, no matter what happens in the next few months. They just do what their told and fight for our rights! Dixieland, please do me a favor and let your son know that we are proud of what they do for us and I understand what it's like to be apart from the family to do these things. I don't know, however, what it's like to be over there in the actual situation, but my husband will all too soon for me!

RICHARD
02-07-2003, 05:34 PM
just to set your fears at rest.

the amounts of chemical/biological materials needed to kill thousands of people are pretty immense.

in order to 'pollute' a water supply the amounts of any substance
are so large it would be futile to even bother.
for example: if one ounce of a material is needed to kill one person, you'd need 16 ounces to kill 16 people, by dumping that material into a water supply-should you get a ton of the stuff-
you dilute the chemical into parts per million-you would have better luck asking people to line up to be poisoned.

there are some chems that you need to come into contact with, actually touching them in order to become ill or die.

also the handling of any chem or nuke material is difficult due to the specific effects of either material. Moving any nuke materials
depends of what kind and how much shielding is needed to keep
the radiation from killing the people handling it. same thing with chem and bio materials. the utmost care is needed to keep the
materials in a 'safe' state.

the worse effect of any kind of attack is the reaction of the people afterwards.

they call it terror for a reason........they scare the living bejesus out of you in order to keep you from doing the normal things that you do each day...Of course there is a possibility of ANY kind of
terrorist attack, but by hiding out and not participating in the
normal things we do, they win.

remember the halloween scare??? everytime the terrorists make a threat against our financial structure they weaken the base of our country-we don't shop, make purchases....

there is no guarantee the we will always be safe.

but we can make sure that we keep vigilant-the government cannot protect each and everyone of us-at that point we
watch out for each other, we have done it before we will continue to do so in the future.

one way to keep from being scared or agitated is to find the
idea that scares you the most and get as much info as you
can about it. read and understand. ask questions.
know what to be aware of. be aware of your surroundings.

we are afraid of what is behind the door because we refuse to see what lays beyond.

CountryWolf07
02-07-2003, 09:24 PM
Here's my two cents.. I think it's the Government's fault of what's going on in the world right now. Before 9/11 attacks, the Government knew about it, but didn't "increase" security or whatever else.. what I'm saying is, they ALLOWED it to happen, and look where we're at now, two years later.. ugh this is just scary.. I don't know what to think.. I hope we won't go to war..

mugsy
02-07-2003, 11:50 PM
I would say the chances of that are slim to none and Slim's packing his bags. I just hope that it's quick without the loss of too many lives.

Albea
02-08-2003, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by mugsy
I have heard reports that it could be under control in as little as 24 hours after it starts. We are so much more technologically advanced it's not even funny.
When World War I and World War II started, both in summer time, the people were assured that "the boys will be back by Christmas." Well, we know what happened.
It's true the "art" of war is so much technologically advanced now. That means that more people can be killed in a shorter period of time.

Cookiebaker
02-08-2003, 10:49 AM
I hate all of this. I just want to live my life in peace...I don't watch or hear the news anymore. It scares me.

COCatMama
02-08-2003, 12:00 PM
cheeta: Gee I dunno, planes crashing into buildings, anthrax in the mail, every crazed freak on the face of the earth gunning for America, ring a bell?!?!?!
And now North Korea doing that crazy stuff with nukes?? I tell ya the world is going to H E double L in a handbasket.

Dixieland Dancer
02-08-2003, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by Lalania
cheeta: Gee I dunno, planes crashing into buildings, anthrax in the mail, every crazed freak on the face of the earth gunning for America, ring a bell?!?!?!
And now North Korea doing that crazy stuff with nukes?? I tell ya the world is going to H E double L in a handbasket.

I am totally shocked by the last statement of the world going to H E double L in a handbasket. I didn't think athiests believed in heaven or hell or an after life for that matter! :confused:

Sorry guys... I just couldn't stop myself. I just finished reading another post and it kind of had my thoughts flowing in this direction. :(

momoffuzzyfaces
02-08-2003, 05:06 PM
This reminds me of the late 1950s and early 60s when lots of people had bomb shelters and at school we were taught to 'duck and cover'. Duck under our desks and cover our heads. Like that would save us from a nuke attack. We were given the illusion of safety but it was a joke.

I think the media has a lot of blame on their heads. They keep things stirred up so they can get ratings. I try not to watch the news any more than possible. I do have a cousin in the reserves whose unit has been called up.

Soledad
02-08-2003, 05:10 PM
Dixie - I think she was just using a phrase, not meaning it literally. Jeez.

Personally, I think this whole thing has been orchestrated by the government to scare the crap out of the American public. If everyone's scared enough, they'll go along with anything the President wants.

COCatMama
02-08-2003, 05:13 PM
Soledad : correct, i was using a phrase not LITERALLY meaning we're going to hell as i don't *believe* in hell
I *DO* believe if some things do not change in a hurry we are headed towards certain disaster.

COCatMama
02-08-2003, 05:58 PM
I'm not all that scared anymore, if it happens, it happens *shrug* but then again, I don't live in a big US city.....

COCatMama
02-08-2003, 06:07 PM
yeah they call them 'terror-ists' for a reason :) don't let the jerks win!!!!!

lovemyshiba
02-08-2003, 07:06 PM
I know I already replied and said it was scary, but it's like the day after you hear about something (like a warning), you forget all about it. We could have it much much worse. We are very lucky to be here.
Popcornbird--I understood exactly what your cousin was saying--her English is very good--that's part of the reason I realized that we can be silly sometimes.
Yes, we need to be vigilant, but seriously, what are we going to do. Personally, there's nothing I can do, we just have to have faith that those who do have the power, will make the right decisions. And we have to pray for and thank our men and women who are serving in the military.

mugsy
02-08-2003, 07:31 PM
You're so right Lalania! Just get the evil moron out of power, help the country get back on its feet and move on!

Soledad
02-09-2003, 03:19 AM
I fail to see how that will address the issue of terrorism. Take out Saddam, and there's still Bin Laden and Al Qaeda. Not to mention North Korea. :rolleyes:

COCatMama
02-09-2003, 03:22 AM
I think somebody needs to give ole so dang insane some cement shoes, if ya know what I mean, and heck if they could find Osama "Garbage" Bin Laden, I'd slap him around myself :D
as for that nut in North Korea, oy!!!! ship him off to Siberia or something!

mugsy
02-09-2003, 04:23 AM
Oh yeah, get rid of the idiotic moron in Korea too! And while they're at it get rid of OBL too (if he's still alive). And it's a start getting rid of Saddam. :rolleyes:

lovemyshiba
02-09-2003, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by cheetahgirl

It is? :confused: Thanks! :D I don't think so though. I have no courage to "talk" in English. Only type.

yes, it's fine--I haven't had any trouble with any of your posts, and I am a pain about misspellings and bad English--keep on posting, I enjoy hearing from someone so far away!!

RICHARD
02-09-2003, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by mugsy
Oh yeah, get rid of the idiotic moron in Korea too! And while they're at it get rid of OBL too (if he's still alive). And it's a start getting rid of Saddam. :rolleyes:

didn't we clean up the world in another thread???
lmmfao....

mugsy
02-09-2003, 12:57 PM
Well, I thought I'd just say it again....lol It's a teacher thing.

COCatMama
02-09-2003, 12:59 PM
I HATE it when people type 'your' when it should be 'you're'

aly
02-09-2003, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by Tanya&Fritz
And where the heck have you been? Did you sign up for the gift exchange? Fritz would love to buy Reece a little toy.

I've been pretty busy. Reece snuck on the computer last week to update everyone on where we've been - http://64.246.0.213/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20522

I missed the whole gift exchange thread I think. I'm still trying to play catch up.

Reece says to say hi to his buddy Fritz!

Jessica12345
02-09-2003, 01:33 PM
oh dear:( :( :( :(