PDA

View Full Version : Puppy Mill Pics

shais_mom
10-05-2001, 12:32 PM
I was looking for puppy pics on the net and I clicked on these.
Some of the pics don't load, but when you use the backdoor method, and use the back button they load onto the page.
There are some goldens, huskies, weimereiners (?), and maybe a OE sheepdog.
So Sad, I just wanna go get them. http://www.darkrose-bds.com/kennel/milpics.htm

Dixieland Dancer
10-05-2001, 12:40 PM
Extremely upsetting. :mad:

purrley
10-05-2001, 12:46 PM
I don't dare look at this :(

kobieeli
10-05-2001, 12:51 PM
I looked, and wished I hadn't. Heartbreaking.

DoggiesAreTheBest
10-05-2001, 01:42 PM
kobieeli, I too wish I hadn't looked. It broke my heart too those pups in such horrible living conditions.

Mills should be illegal. Breeders should have a license to breed and there should be some sort of regulations. Those pics were so inhumane!

Dixieland Dancer
10-05-2001, 02:20 PM
Actually Souraya there is a court case that is pending appeal. For more information go to http://www.akc.org/love/dip/legislat/usda_ddal_case.cfm

The controversy over this right now is that it is so extreme it would probably eliminate reputable breeders of Top quality pure bred dogs and allow your average puppy mill to continue operation but under supposedly tigher regulations. I think we all know what happens to stricter government regulations eventually. Nothing! :mad:

Basically there are laws and regulations that are to be followed in breeding animals now but they are not enforced. If they were we wouldn't see pictures like the ones this post refers too! Why do we need more laws on the books? Why can't we just get the ones we have to work the way they were written too? :confused:

I am torn over this since I breed quality puppies occasionally. I stand behind every one of the puppies that I help bring into the world for the entire life of the pup. I do not think all breeders should be penalized because of some real sick people in this world but that seems to be the case! :(

Dixie Belle
10-05-2001, 02:46 PM
Dixieland Dancer, I agree with you. The people we got Belle from are like you. She even took off work to help care for the puppies in Belle's litter. I remember the last thing she said to us was if we ever got into a problem, and we couldn't get Belle, to please, please bring her back to them. Now why should people like that be punished? I feel that all puppy mills should be shut down.

carrie
10-05-2001, 06:35 PM
Oh, gosh, blimey!!! Not the pictures....they were pretty distressing but didn't show "typical" conditions at all! Usually it is much, much worse.

The "gosh and blimey" stuff goes to Candi....we agree....AGAIN!!!!
Laws seem to be put into the legal system to shut people up and make them think their concerns have been addressed. The sad fact is they are no use at all unless they are taken by authorities as important and are enforced.

In this country you have to have a license, by law, if you have more than two breeding bitches in your ownership. Think for two minutes and you will see how stupid this is in the first place!! Two breeding bitches could be interpreted to mean two bitches with puppies at any one time, two bitches at a time in pup....almost anything.
In reality you could have two bitches waiting for their next season, two bitches with weaning pups, two bitches with new borns and two bitches pregnant and not need any inspection of your facilities. If questioned you would "get away with it" because you are not breaking the law. Nobody is aware of the law so nobody reports violations. Nobody keeps an eye on suspects or inspects randomly and if someone is caught out they claim a mismating.
Puppy farming is more likely to be prosecuted when the evidence is shocking and disgusting in the extreme. This leaves thousands of people with very healthy bank balances in this country alone to continue hiding their dogs in mobile homes, cellars, garages, utility rooms, out houses and farm buildings. In many of these cases once the bitch is pregnant she is put into the chosen area, often with two or three other bitches, to get on with it. These animals are then forced to compete for what food is available and what space they can get. The only contact with humans many have is when their pups are taken from them at between four and ten weeks to go to the pet shop. Many young bitches are killed after their second or third litter as they become too aggressive toward the owner. All of this, remember is within the law as it is enforced. There is no need to even take your dog to the vet to kill it. You can do it yourself as long as you do it in a way that is designed not to cause undue suffering. Basically, you can hit it over the head with a shovel. If this causes suffering and you say that you have done it many times before with no suffering you are within the law. For a nation that are celebrated as animal lovers these laws, even if they were enforced, are barbaric and, surely, way outside current understanding of animal behaviour and psychology.

As Dixieland Dancer says there are some really good people out there breeding quality pups that go to quality homes. These people need to step back a bit and let the scraping of the scum take place. (We have different points of view on very few issues, it is our reasons for taking our point of view that differ, more often than not.)

Puppy farms need a new definition, new penalties, new enforcers and a new understanding in the general public. More than that, laws need to be enforced and be seen to be enforced in a much more general way - not just the most disgusting, most distressing or most horrible. Everyday cases need to start hitting headlines, make people think and care.
Any breeder who worries about this is doing things they don't want "us" to know about.
Dixieland Dancer should be applauded, not only for her morality and humanity, but for her honesty and real care.

*LabLoverKEB*
10-05-2001, 07:30 PM
That just makes me sooooooooooooooooo mad and upset :mad: :( , that people would do that to those poor, innocient, little doggies. :( :mad: i just wish I could do something about it! :mad: :( Hopefully those poor puppies will find a home with a caring, and loving person! :)

Daisy's Mom
10-05-2001, 08:17 PM
How disgusting! Something really needs to be done. How can someone to that? Look at those sweet, innocent little faces! Things like this really make my blood boil :mad:

lizbud
10-05-2001, 09:00 PM
Anyone old enough to vote can "do something
about it"!!
I invite everyone who cares to visit
http://www.idausa.org/index.shtml or
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ida-alerts/message/74
We the people elect the officials who make
the laws, by our votes.All people who truly
care about these animals need to not only
"Talk the talk, but also walk the walk"!!!
anyway we can.

[ October 05, 2001: Message edited by: lizbud ]

lizbud
10-05-2001, 09:23 PM
Dixieland Dancer, I appreciate your & Carrie's comments on this issue.It is not
the popular thing to discuss in 'polite
society'.It's horrible and disgusting that
human beings treat sentient beings like
another 'crop'. To them it's all about the
money..they don't care about the individual
animal or the breed's betterment.They just
want to make a buck. Everyone who buys a
puppy from a pet store contributes unwittingly to puppy millers coffers.

[ October 05, 2001: Message edited by: lizbud ]

Buddy2101
10-05-2001, 11:00 PM
Personally, I think we need to svae the pet shop dogs. I think we shoudl buy them. I know this will provoc them to sell more but what do they do with the dogs who aren't sold? What fait do they have........

Golden Smiles
10-10-2001, 04:19 PM
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: I can't stand those people! I think they should have to live like that and endure that disgusting treatment. What the *^$@#! is wrong with them??

ownerof3dogs
10-10-2001, 05:09 PM
I don't know how people can live with themselves. This teatment of animals is just WRONG :mad:

shais_mom
10-11-2001, 12:50 AM
I agree, we need to save the petshop dogs. If we don't who will. Tho I would not pay the horribly inflated prices they have for even the mixes.
Out local petland has signs up everywhere saying they do not use puppy mills their puppies come from local people. That is all well and good but I guess I am to darn cheap to pay $350-400 for mixed puppy (or anything for that matter -- I am CHEAP!! :D :D :D :D )
I wouldn't pay that much for any puppy unless it came from a breed rescue. Then I would feel like I am doing some good, it would be going to the rescue people for what they are doing. But not into a corporate pocket.

lizbud
10-12-2001, 11:43 AM
Shais_mom,
You posted that your local petland store
has signs to the effect"their dogs don't come
from 'puppy mills'.That's true!; they come
from Brokers, who purchase them from the puppy mills!!
Found two very good sites for more info:
http://www.igrescue.org/addie.html

This organization is supported by Westie Rescue,Brussels Griffon Rescue,Addies Safe House(Italian Greyhound Rescue),Maltese Rescue,Papillon Rescue,among others.

Also worth checking out is;
http://www.nopuppymills.com

for lists of AKC suspensions ,fines by USDA,
etc.Also info on Brokers/and Breeders.

carrie
10-12-2001, 05:56 PM
"Saving puppies from pet shops," it sounds like a great idea!
The sad reality is that for every puppy that is saved there is another waiting to take it's place. As long as people are buying from pet stores puppies will be bred in disgusting and uncontrolled environments to satisfy the "demand".
As far as the person buying is concerned they have done a good deed, saved a pup. In reality they have proved yet again that there is a market for pups.
The only way to stop the puppy mills is to stop buying from pet stores and individuals that refuse to show you the mother with the pups and give exact details of the sire.
This is hard, it means leaving unhappy, cute, distressed and more often than not underfed and genetically inferior puppies in a bad situation at the pet store. It will, however, leave no openings for new puppies to be brought into the pet store and no market for the puppy farms. Tough love.
If you want to stop the trade stop the "rescue" that perpetuates it.

lizbud
10-12-2001, 07:45 PM
Carrie, AMEN TO THAT !!!

Buying from a pet store is not a 'rescue',
but an incentive to the millers to keep on
with their disgusting trade!

lizbud
10-12-2001, 08:14 PM
Oh, I forgot to post that everything is
not always "gloom and Doom" at Rescue sites!
If you visit the IG site, be sure to check
out the Chinese Crested named Maude who lives at Addie's Safe House..Read Maudie's
Mom Speaks Out..It is very,very funny!!!

jackiesdaisy1935
10-13-2001, 04:45 PM
I can't look at those pictures, I already know what they will look like without actually seeing them and it makes me sick.
The solution is if enough people would write to their elected officials in large numbers demanding laws to outlaw the puppy mills in every state it could happen. Until the pressure is put on them it will be put on the back burner. What about petitions targeting one state at a time?
Jackie

carrie
10-13-2001, 06:00 PM
Jackie, how are you and Don?

Great idea! The people on this board could make such a difference with their contacts.

Choose a state and, instead of emailing, have it in good, old fashioned, writing!

lizbud
10-13-2001, 08:14 PM
Jackie,
PLEASE don't be afraid to check the Italian
Greyhound site...There are no distressing pictures; only Positive stories of IG's who
were rescuced from the Mill life & now have
people who love & care about them.Very
uplifting really!!Also gen info that can link
us all to people already organized and actively involved: how we can make a difference for All the different breeds..
Carrie, I agree 'old fashioned 'letters
are important and might carry a little more weight with some officals, but e-mails are
also a very effective way of relaying our
concerns to policy makers..I work in the IT
world,where e-mails(which can be hardcopied)
are considered just as valid..
Also Jackie, Please check in on Maudie's
rowdy behavior at Addies Safe House!!!!

P.S. Missed you & am glad you're back!!!

lizbud
10-13-2001, 09:08 PM
SpencerTheLion,
I've always knew you were a animal lover
but now I must say you are also a man of honor!! You show the 'typical' traits of all
us programmers in that we want to 'check out'
all the facts before we reach a logical
determination...
Thanks for the included 'link'in your
message..I've always agreed with their objectives, but honestly winced at their
methods of presenting the issues..
People For The Ethical Treatment Of Animals
has made people aware of conditions that
Companion Animals face everyday,and remind
us of all of the other animals who deserve
ethical, humane treatment by people.