PDA

View Full Version : I actually had to mow my lawn today...

Nomilynn
02-06-2003, 06:52 PM
In the middle of FEBRUARY!!!!! :eek: How nutty! It's so warm here, I was wearing a t-shirt all day as I did my outside chores! I hope this weather sticks around!! :D

Kfamr
02-06-2003, 07:03 PM
it's been so hot a humid around here, i hope it goes away! I love the cool weather!

slleipnir
02-06-2003, 07:42 PM
Ahh! Your so lucky (beside the lawn mowing :rolleyes: ) I can't wait till summer!

neko1
02-06-2003, 07:44 PM
It would be impossible for anyone to mow my lawn since I haven't seen it in months now. The white stuff will never go away!!! I'm beginning to think that grass is white!:p :o :( ;)

Cookiebaker
02-06-2003, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by neko1
It would be impossible for anyone to mow my lawn since I haven't seen it in months now. The white stuff will never go away!!! I'm beginning to think that grass is white!:p :o :( ;)

I'm with you on this one. We still have a lot of snow that has turned into solid ice now. :eek: You can't even walk on this stuff without hurting your feet. Spring soon???

Nomilynn
02-06-2003, 10:09 PM
We haven't had any snow so far (CROSS FINGERS) and this warm stretch is supposed to last a week or so. Fun!!! :)

COCatMama
02-06-2003, 10:19 PM
Nom: didja stumble across any JUNKIES hiding in that long grass? i saw on VILAND news today about the baaaaaad junkie probs in downtown Vic, sucks!!! I used to live there and i walked all over the downtown core without having to worry :mad:

Nomilynn
02-06-2003, 10:39 PM
I don't actually live in Victoria.. I live in Sidney. And no, I'm very fortunate to live in a safe area of town.

COCatMama
02-06-2003, 10:43 PM
sidney is nice :) but I find it shocking how bad the downtown bit has gotten grrrrr i hate heroin junkies!!!!! I used to go to college right near pigeon park in Vancouver which is a crime-ridden little area with all sorts of nasty people who used to come into our college and shoot up in our bathrooms, EWWW!!

Nomilynn
02-06-2003, 10:46 PM
There are areas of Victoria that you shouldn't walk alone in at night - same as any other city. A big difference here is I see the mayor actually making an attempt to fix it and listening to the residents that live here. I would walk around downtown Victoria alone over Vancouver any day!

COCatMama
02-06-2003, 10:49 PM
same here, vancouver is sccccaaaaaryyyyyyyyyy

neko1
02-07-2003, 05:37 AM
Originally posted by Cookiebaker

I'm with you on this one. We still have a lot of snow that has turned into solid ice now. :eek: You can't even walk on this stuff without hurting your feet. Spring soon???

Sure doesn't seen like spring is coming any time now. It just snowed again last night:mad:

lovemyshiba
02-07-2003, 09:18 AM
:( more snow here :(

I think my husband likes it though--we don't have a yard, but he has to do his mom's for her;)

Nomilynn
02-07-2003, 01:43 PM
Today it's all cloudy again... BUT - I have a HUGE flock of robins in the tree outside, and they are singing beautifully! Nutmeg is really enjoying this show! :)

Dixieland Dancer
02-07-2003, 02:06 PM
Our lawn is white too! Haven't seen green since mid December! Unfortunately we had a few warm days that turned the snow to slush and then it rained and rained and rained ( I swear it would of been a foot or more if it would of been snow). The ground was sooooo saturated that it just turned my front yard into a pond. Then the weather turned colder and it froze. My son was actually skating on my lawn!!! :eek:

I want to go straight into summer and forget spring this year. I know I'm going to deal with muddy dog paws when it thaws for months getting everything back to normal! ;)

NoahsMommy
02-07-2003, 02:11 PM
Ready for a dumb question?

Does your grass die under all the snow? And then re-grow in the Spring?

Sorry, born and bred Southern Californian... ;)

Logan
02-07-2003, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by NoahsMommy
Ready for a dumb question?

Does your grass die under all the snow? And then re-grow in the Spring?

Sorry, born and bred Southern Californian... ;)

Snow or not, that is exactly what happens! We rarely have snow that lasts, but our grass dies and comes back beautifully in the spring. My muddy dogs and I are ready for that too!!! :D

Dixieland Dancer
02-07-2003, 02:22 PM
Actually it doesn't die but goes into a dormant stage. With all the wet from rain and snow and walking over dormant grass it just gets to be a mess. It springs back to life though in the late spring! :D

catland
02-07-2003, 02:35 PM
We must be part of the same weather front Nomylynn, because we're having beautiful sunny weather all week, which is very refreshing considering that last week we were experiencing flooding due to all of the rain.

Of course, we're going to pay for it this summer since we look like we're headed for a water shortage.

Paul
02-07-2003, 04:37 PM
   Today, we have received 14" (35.5 cm) of fluffy snow so far. It's still snowing! Miss Hoppy hates fluffy snow most of all otherwise I would try to take her picture sinking into the snow. Last week we received about 4" on top of our old icy snow pack.

It's the most snow I have ever shoveled in my life.

Paul

http://Petoftheday.com/online/paul/snow1.jpg

neko1
02-07-2003, 04:51 PM
We just got 8 inches. No roads were plowed this morning when I went to work. My car is a p.o.s. in the snow (pontiac sunfire- really really awful in the snow in case anyone wants to know!!!)And of course all our appointments cancelled. So basically I got paid to sit there all day.

Truzz
02-07-2003, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by Nomilynn
In the middle of FEBRUARY!!!!! :eek: How nutty! It's so warm here, I was wearing a t-shirt all day as I did my outside chores! I hope this weather sticks around!! :D

Thats weird how you have that kind of temperature and you are just a few provinces away while us Quebeckers are geting the -10-20s! Anyone know the reason for that? Pollution, maybe?

Nomilynn
02-07-2003, 07:12 PM
it just has to do with the jet stream and being so close to the water. I'm right on the coast. However, it's usually cold here during the winter with a lot of rain. It has nothing to do with polution :p We are just on the lucky side of the mountains, and also we are right at sea level rather than freezing elevations.

Kelly - my grass never died or STOPPED growing! :) When I cut it yesterday it was at least five - six inches long. I actually needed to cut it in December but never got around to it. This is unusual even for here - these warmer temps are breaking some records :)

popcornbird
02-07-2003, 07:21 PM
The grass is green here but it stopped growing in the winter, so I don't have to cut it. I wish it wouldn't stop growing in the winter though, because it gets so thin and ugly, even with me fertilizing it, and feeding it. It is so nice and think and green in the summer, but right now its just thin, ugly, green grass. The last time I cut it was in November. It needs to be cut now, but its so thin yo can't tell. The neighbors have thick nice grass. I don't know what's wrong with ours. :rolleyes: