PDA

View Full Version : WhaleRider

Soledad
02-05-2003, 11:59 PM
My husband and I just saw a great movie called Whale Rider. It's a New Zealand film that has been winning awards like mad. It cleaned up at Sundance, and it's really worth the watch.

It's a great story about a young Maori girl that will definitely touch you. I recommend that you take the opportunity to see it. Although, it will most likely not show at mainstream theaters. Check some of the 'alternative theaters' around to see if they're showing it. It's worth the extra effort.

It also made me very proud of NZ.

Barbara
02-06-2003, 04:47 AM
Sounds good. Unfortunately many NZ movies don't make it to Europe (with the exception of the Piano). I have friends there who sometimes give me a video cassette :)

02-06-2003, 04:57 AM
I love the sceney in the "Lord of the rings"-movies !! Everything is filmed in New Zealand ! Makes me wanna go there ...;:D

Soledad
02-06-2003, 05:12 AM
Yes, New Zealand is very beautiful. I've become sort of used to it after the years, but every now and then I catch myself sucking in my breath it's so extraordinary.

There are moments here that are so magical, that when I call home they seem mythic. Like the time five hundred dolphins came into the city's harbour. People were gathered around and ran into the ocean to play with them. It lasted for hours.

Sometimes I get homesick and miss the plain, flat, sparse beauty of the Midwest with its spectacular sunsets...but I know that when I return I will miss the great hills, vast oceans and surreal beauty of NZ.

It's a great place with very good people. I think the movie does a good job in showing that.

Edwina's Secretary
02-06-2003, 09:22 AM
Years ago my father went to New Zealand on business. He was so taken with it he and my mother went back there on vacation. They loved it so much they even spoke of retiring there. They liked the landscape, the sparseness of the population and -- my mother especially -- the sheep. They still correspond with people they met there.

I will have to tell them about this movie. Is it one that 80 year olds would enjoy?

lizbud
02-06-2003, 12:10 PM
I read press releases & a little about the book the movie was
based on at;

http://www.whaleriderthemovie.com

It has a flash site with movie trailers & music.Sounds like a
great picture & story. It received rave reviews & awards.

Logan
02-06-2003, 01:07 PM
Now I want to see it too!!! I hope that somehow it will be available in the US. In our town, there are no theaters that show the movies that aren't "hits". In fact, there are two HUGE popular theaters, all the others have gone out of business, and two religious theaters (they took over the ones that went out of business) whose only showings are religiously based. We have not tried those at this point.

Paul
02-06-2003, 01:51 PM
   It looks like an interesting movie. Soledad, does the whale rider star have a New Zealand accent? From the trailer she sounds Australian to my untrained ear. The New Zealanders I have met have had a different accent that I can only roughly describe as 80% British (of a type I do not know a word for) and 20% Australian. How would you describe New Zealand accents?

Paul

Soledad
02-06-2003, 02:27 PM
I don't know if I can describe a New Zealand accent. Having lived here for several years, it's sort of become 'the norm'. To my own ears, it is far less harsh than the Australian accent, though they are similar. Example: the word fish
NZ accent: Fush
Aus accent: Feesh

I prefer the softness of the 'u' to the harshness of the 'eee' sound that many Australians seem to have. But like in all places, there are variations. My own husband has very little twang to his accent, and is often mistaken for being British.

The girl and everyone in the movie is a New Zealander with New Zealand accents. But you must take into account that they are Maori, which alters their accent. Much like the way that a Mexican or African American person have varied American accents.

Yes, Edwina'sSecretary, it is totally appropriate for eighty year olds, as well as youngins. It's a great family movie.

Miss Meow
02-06-2003, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by Soledad
... I prefer the softness of the 'u' to the harshness of the 'eee' sound that many Australians seem to have

Ya've been watchin' too much Croc-ah-doyle Man, MAAAAAATE! :)

I like the Maori accent, it's very sing song and pleasant to listen to. The movie sounds fantastic, I'll keep an eye out for it when it hits our shores. Then we'll distribute it around the world and try to lay claim that it's Oz-tray-lee-an, like we do with Russell Crowe, Collette Dinnigan, The Piano etc :)

Soledad
02-06-2003, 03:14 PM
Eeeehhh...I was SO worried when I was typing that post that you'd be miffed. Good to know you're an Aussie with understanding.

One of my university professors over here was from Oz and I swear I just could not stand to listen to her voice. To make things worse, her name was Kim. Not Kim, really, but KEEEEEM.

*Shudder*

I know, not all Aussies are like that. My friend Kate sounds quite British, but there are quite a few of you who have that very harsh 'eeee' sound. There are some Aussie shows that I just cannot watch for long because it grates.

Also, it's so funny how Oz tries to take credit for NZ things. Funny and a little mean, really.

Miss Meow
02-07-2003, 01:03 AM
Originally posted by Soledad
... Also, it's so funny how Oz tries to take credit for NZ things. Funny and a little mean, really.

I forgot to say we also stole Nil Funn, sorry, Neil Finn :)

Soledad
02-07-2003, 02:38 AM
Hehe....

Although, you can have him. He's been majorly overexposed round here.

Nil Funn. Hehe. Perfect.