PDA

View Full Version : I HATE HUNTING SEASON !!!!!

ilovehounds
11-06-2001, 03:58 PM
Oh Im sooooo MAD right now !!
I almost lost Hannah to some hunters today.

I was out putting away the agility obstacles for the winter, I was bent down taking a jump apart when I heard someone saying "come here pup" I looked around but didn't see anything Hannah was playing around so I went back to taking the jump apart when I heard it again. This time Hannah starting howiling and she came running over to me. I looked around but didn't see anyone so I figured it must be a hunter across the creek and his voice was carring. So again I went back to work and did he not call "come on pup" a third time, this time I stood up and took a look around and then I heard "oh is that your beagle pup ??" I spun around and there was two hunters park just behind some trees on the road. They had spotted Hannah playing around so they pulled over and tried to call her over to them. :mad: :mad: I said yes this is my beagle why do you ask, they then stuttered well.. umm.. well.. we lost two beagles and we thought it was ours. Then they took off :mad:

I couldn't believe it, I always tie my hounds up during hunting season because I don't want them catching a trail and taking off on me. But I was out doing some clean up and Hannah really wanted to play around so I thought no harm in it, when Im outside she always stays in a distance that she can see me. But if Hannah wasn't shy like she is they could have had her and have been gone before I could do anything. :mad: I was shaking I grabbed Hannah and went into the house. I took Copper from the front yard to the back yard where he wouldn't be seen from the road. AHHH I HATE THIS TIME OF YEAR !!!

Right now at 10 minutes to 5:00 I can hear at least three different dogs howling, it will be dark in 20 min. are these hounds going to get home tonight ??? or be left in the dark and hope to be found in the morning ?? :mad:

Ok ok Im going to try and calm down now :(
I'll post some pics to take my mind of it.

http://wsphotofews.excite.com/005/jS/ko/Yn/NF61280.jpg hannah loves to go for rides whether its in the truck, lawn mower, tractor .... this is her waiting on my dads tractor. (sorry its a little dark)

http://wsphotofews.excite.com/005/jS/ko/Yn/NJ23470.jpg
and this is Hannah showing off that she can still squeeze into her harness (just barley...lol)

Oh I don't know what I would do if I ever lost her.

[ November 06, 2001: Message edited by: ilovehounds ]

DoggiesAreTheBest
11-06-2001, 04:02 PM
I am sorry to hear about what happened. I have never had to deal with hunting season, but I can understand your concern. It will be frustrating, but you have to keep a very close eye on your babies.

Good Luck and I am glad that you were out there to stop whatever could have happened.

Your pictures didn't post. I couldn't see them :(

aly
11-06-2001, 04:04 PM
Thats awful :( :mad: I can't even imagine the nerve of those men! I feel like taking their guns and hitting them over their heads with them! Too bad Copper doesn't really like to go indoors. I'm going to be worrying about him but I know you'll be watching him like a hawk.

jackiesdaisy1935
11-06-2001, 04:10 PM
That's terrible, some people have no concept of right or wrong, I can imagine how scared you were, I would have been frantic. Do you live that close to the hunting? I would be so afraid there would be some stray bullets. Thanks goodness your dogs are home and O.K.
Jackie

Logan
11-06-2001, 04:16 PM
Only once in my life did I have to deal with deer hunters who used Beagles to "drive" the deer......and it was a sad, sad situation. If they lost one, "so what"...as they just let them inbreed and reproduce to their heart's content. The dogs stayed outdoors always, in a pen, and occasionally, they would just let them loose to run, no matter what dangers were out there.

Be careful......and keep those precious babies close to you. You can already tell, the hunters don't know one from another. I'm so glad your Hannah is so smart!

Daisy's Mom
11-06-2001, 04:56 PM
I hate hunting season too! No offense to any hunters here but I think it is heartless and unnecessary, and the fact that it puts in danger the lives of innocent people and dogs... it's just stupid. Keep Hannah and Copper safe! I love those two!

mugsy
11-06-2001, 05:26 PM
I, too, hate hunting season. We live in the city, so we don't have the hunters around. But I remember what happened when we would go to Wisconsin for Thanksgiving when we had our Weimaraner when I was growing up. We always had to keep a close eye on her, because the stupid hunters that shoot at anything that moves, would shoot her. I have a real problem with people who do things like that with any animal. My question is, if you have dogs chase down the deer or use a deer stand (since deer don't have any natural enemies in the trees, so therefore don't look up) where is the sport? Unless the people need the meat or that's the meat they use for the winter, I feel the same way Daisy's Mom...there is no point.

AdoreMyDogs
11-06-2001, 06:34 PM
I am so sorry that that happened to Hannah. I hate to think what would have happened if Hannah were not shy.

As for hunting, I have known some great people who hunted and they knew I was not pro hunting so they were really good about refraining from talking to me about anything hunting related.

I had met some jerk with a lovely yellow lab at a dog park last year, and I did post this last year, and he was a monster of a man that said if he saw a dog chasing the deer that he was trying to shoot, he'd stoot the dog to prevent it from chasing off his hunt! I was sickened by that jerk. He also told me that he had shot dogs before that were ruining his hunt :( I told him that I find that disgusting and I just walked away...but what he said really did a number on me. I have not been able to forget that I heard that. I wish I could :(

Always watch your dogs extra carefully during hunting season...because unfortunately, if a man could kill something as beautiful and peaceful as a duck or a deer, then he is quite capable of killing a dog :( I am sure that monster that i met in the dog park last year was not the only jerk who has shot a dog who was chasing off the game animal!

ilovehounds
11-06-2001, 07:20 PM
Oh I have kept a close eye on them today thats for sure. I never let then out of my sight.

I can't bring Copper in the house :( I really wish I could but I know it would only upset him and he would just pace all night. I tried brining him in earlier and he just huddled at the front door and peed ????? I don't know what happened to him.

The last time I put him in the barn he jumped through a window, so I brought his bedding into the garage so he can stay in there thats where the german shepherd sleeps (she finds the house to hot and pants and pases wanting out, we don't like her out alone at night so we let her sleep in the garage) its heated but still a little cooler then the house. Hopefully all will go well.

I have nothing against hunters, my dad hunts and alot of his friends do to, but there are some "bad ones" that I don't care for. We have hunters all over the place here, I can go out and look into our back field where our property line meets with the neighbors and you can see all the bright colored clothing. I bet I've heard at least 25-30 gun shots today, ya the con for living in the boonies. I don't take my dogs for walks during hunting season, and I don't venture any further then the mailbox ..lol..

Golden Smiles
11-06-2001, 08:56 PM
:mad: What a bunch of jerks! I can't believe they would try and steal your baby! OOOOOO that makes me mad! Do you have NO TRESSPASSING signs you could staple to their foreheads, oops, I mean trees!

*LabLoverKEB*
11-06-2001, 10:18 PM
Oh my goodness! That's sooo scary! :eek: :( That makes me soo mad :mad: , that people would do such a thing, try to take a poor pup! I'm soooo glad that they didn't even touch her, though!
Give all your babies a big hug from me and Sadie! ;)

Sarah & Sadie*

sammi
11-06-2001, 10:34 PM
So glade your baby is safe. I've grown up with hunters also. But you really need to becareful during hunting season as some get real careless (or don't care) and will shot at anything that moves. To some its a good time to party.

shais_mom
11-06-2001, 11:49 PM
I think in OH its illegal to run deer with dogs.
I always watched Shaianne like a hawk when she was out at my parents house as she was the color of a deer. Of course, she was never off leash, but she was tied to the tree and I was afraid the idiots would think she was a deer.
One time when I was in High School my dad and I were driving down the road and there was a deer hunter driving in front of us on a country road. And he wasn't paying attention and saw a deer in the woods and pulled a U turn right in the middle of the road! :eek:
:mad:
We drove into a field and he hit us right in the front headlight! Noone was hurt. But my dad was sooooo madddd! The bad thing was he had handpainted it the week before, totally changed the color and had just drove it out of the shed to go the school and pick me up and we were driving to town and that's when we were hit! It had only been out of the shed for 10 min!!
Some hunters use their heads and are decent people. Others are not.
My uncle was deer hunting several years ago and he shot the deer and by the time he had tracked it, someone had gotten there first, gutted the dear and as they were driving away they beeped their horn!! Of course he was in the woods so he didn't see what they were driving. Its the assinine people that do this kinda stuff and the kind that Angie encountered who give hunting a bad name.

Rottie
11-07-2001, 02:30 PM
Wow! That's scary and upsetting. :mad: I'm so glad you didn't let her go to those people!

11-07-2001, 03:17 PM
Angie I would have lost my mind if I were you! Those hunters would have gotten a lot more of my thoughts then they could have imagined!

We were camping a couple years back and I saw first hand how cruel hunters are with their hounds. We would hear them running throughout the night and howling. The hunters just let them go and hoped that the dogs will tree a bear during the night and then all they have to do is shoot it. They don't take care of the dogs at all! We even found a poor hound dog that was skin and bones the next day. We thought he had been lost and was alone in the woods for days. But, that was not the case. We fed him and he went crazy eating! Then his owner drove up and said that was his dog and took off with him! I WANTED TO KILL THAT MAN! How could he neglect an animal like that? So, naturally I burst into tears and my mom told me to just keep my mouth shut.

Not all hunters are like this... but there has to be the bad seed in every bunch.

In regards to hunting though, forgive me if you already know this but the reasons for hunting are population control. At least I hope that is the reason. I know in AZ you can't just go and shoot an animal - you can't do that anywhere. You have to be "drawn" for it after you submit an application and pay the fees. It's like a lottery. My husband is beyond excitement right now because he got drawn for elk and takes off next week for the big hunt. BUT, my family is great about it. We also use all of the meat too. Elk is very yummy!

As for my thoughts on hunting, I could really do without it. I just avoid the subject if possible but at the same time I have to try not to rain on hubby's parade. He is so cute with how excited he is! I just don't want to be there or see anything. It is very sad to me but I know it does serve a purpose (Unless you are some careless hunter or poacher and just do it for the hell of it).

Anyway, protect those babies of yours and the hunters of the world that are cruel and use dogs like throw away objects YOU BETTER WISE UP AND LEARN RESPECT AND SOME HUMANITY!!!!!

purrley
11-08-2001, 02:11 PM
I also think it's illegal to run deer with dogs here in Utah - people do hunt on horseback. Anyway a couple years ago my son in law shot a trophy deer, its head is now mounted on the wall in their house. I don't like it!!!! Its a beautiful deer but, I just don't like taxidermy. I tease him occasionally when he teases me about it - I tell him his head would look better up there - it's just a joke.