PDA

View Full Version : Typical of a Nursing Home?

ramanth
02-05-2003, 10:42 AM
Before my Great Aunt Francis passed away on Feb. 1st, she was living in a nursing home and guess what! She was allowed to take her terrier mix, Foxy with her.

I wondered aloud what was going to happen to Foxy, now that Aunt Fran was gone.

Mom told me that the nursing home loves the little pooch and agreed to Fran's dying wishes that the dog stay with them.

:)

How nice!

DoggiesAreTheBest
02-05-2003, 10:53 AM
I am sorry to hear of your aunt's passing. My most sincere sympathies to you and your family.

It was very nice of the home to want to keep Foxy!

ramanth
02-05-2003, 11:07 AM
Thanks Souraya.

We were sad to see her go, but she was 90, and while her mind was intact, her body was not and she was ready to go. I'm happy she's no longer in pain.

I feel really bad for my dad. His high school buddy died the same day as my Aunt and his funeral was on the 3rd which is also my dad's birthday. Then we had my Aunt's funeral yesterday. Then my dad finds out that his boss was in an auto accident and is in a coma. :( Now my grandma (his mom) is in the hospital.

Dad hasn't been getting much sleep.

But seeing Kia cheers him up, so she's currently staying at their house. :)

Cinder & Smoke
02-05-2003, 12:04 PM
Kim ~ So sorry for the loss of your Aunt
and the illness of you Granma. :(

As for Pets being welcome in Nursing Homes...
Sadly, the Pets are not welcome as permanent residents in most older citizens' Homes. My Mom lived in a huge Retirement Village - hundreds of full-sized apartments with common dining and recreational areas, a couple dozen seperate duplex homes, and a 100 bed nursing home wing. Pets of any size and description were strictly forbidden to be in any of the apartments, homes, or common areas - even as transient visitors! Reasons cited: some folks alergic; possibility of noise; liability if someone scratched or bitten; possible odors; etc, etc...

The pleasant departure was that Pets of any description Were Welcome to *visit* in the nursing home wing - at any hour of the day or night! Cinder & Smokey (and several other FurKids) were welcome to visit anyone in the Health Center - the only restriction was *not* in the dining room or kitchen. We'd visit with Mom and then take her with us on *rounds* - visiting with all the other residents who enjoyed seeing and petting a Furry Four-Legger :).

Whenever I raised the idea of the Health Center adopting and providing a permanent Home for even a Kitten/Cat - the excuses of why it wouldn't work... would fill a book :mad:.
Granted - it would take some effort on the part of the staff to insure the well being of a FurKid good will ambassador - someone would wind up being *paid* for pet-sitting for part of each shift... I gave up arguing... :rolleyes:

But I have heard that many of the smaller Nursing Homes have started to allow a facility-sponsored small Dog or a couple of Kitten/Cats to move in - with good reports of the residents perking up whenever the FurKid stops by to say hello! Hopefully this change in attitude will expand and become a common feature of the *typical* Nursing Home - rather than the exception! :D

lovemyshiba
02-05-2003, 12:28 PM
Sorry to hear of your loss. My prayers are with your father during this difficult time for him, and with your family also. How wonderful that Kia cheers him up!!
My husband's grandmother had surgery last year in March, and wasn't out of the hospital until August. The only thing she was worried about was her little Lucy (chi). She has since decided to move back up north to be closer to the family (she is currently in Florida), and she will only stay at a facility where Lucy is allowed to be with her. She found one, and she will be moving some time next year.

Phred, that's so great that Cinder and Smoke could help bring a smile to people's faces--what great dogs!!

moosmom
02-05-2003, 01:05 PM
Kimmy,

I'm sorry to hear about your aunt and your Grandma. But I'm glad the nursing home has decided to let her dog stay.

If anyone can cheer up your Dad, it's Kia. She's a clown in dog's clothing :D.

Hang in there.

primabella
02-05-2003, 02:41 PM
sorry about your aunt and that your father is going through a tough time. :( but i am glad everything worked out for foxy! :)

ramanth
02-05-2003, 03:10 PM
Thanks everyone. :)

mugsy
02-05-2003, 04:36 PM
Kimmy I just saw the thread, I'm sorry about your aunt. Tell your dad that you and he will be in our thoughts. You're right that is very cool that they are going to keep the dog and love it.

captain
02-05-2003, 04:54 PM
Condolences on your recent losses. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

FANTASTIC that they want to keep Foxy - how truly amazing!

Funny how only SOME aged care places realise the therapeutic value of pets ........

Dixieland Dancer
02-05-2003, 04:56 PM
Kimmy, I offer my sympathy on the passing of your Aunt too. I personally think all nursing homes should have resident pets of some sort. It is a well known fact that animals are very theraputic to the elderly in nursing homes. that is why so many people volunteer to do pet therapy. It is wonderful to see the faces of so many light up when they can just pet a dog! I really think all the excuses are just that - excuses. :( :(

Karen
02-05-2003, 05:51 PM
It is, as Phred stated, uncommon for nursing homes to allow pets. Your Great Aunt was very lucky to find such a place. We could bring pets to *visit* my Great Aunt, and then my mom, when they were in the nursing home, but they couldn't have pets stay with them.

One of the saddest things was taking the Sheltie from my office to visit my Great Aunt's nursing home one day. He was terrified of everyone, scared of wheelchairs, and wouldn't go near any of the people who sooooo wanted to pet the cute little doggie ...

... until we got to Aunt Bertha, for whom he "sat" and "stayed" and was a "good boy" while I fetched something from her room for her. SHE could pet him, and he obeyed HER, he wouldn't go near anyone else!

It was quite traumatic for him (he's skittish anyway) and we never attempted a return visit.

Pam
02-05-2003, 05:57 PM
There is a nursing home down near where my mom lives. They had a resident tuxedo kitty for several years. I had been in there a couple of times and thought it was so neat to see him strolling along the halls and the residents all had a big hello for him, as they passed him in wheelchairs and walkers, which caused his tail to head straight up into the air with great pride! :) Unfortunately he went to the RB about a year or so ago and I haven't been in there since so I don't know if he has been replaced. Personally I think it's a TERRIFIC idea! :)

momoffuzzyfaces
02-05-2003, 06:09 PM
So Sorry about your aunt.
About animals in nursing homes: At my Dad's nursing home, there was a cat who lived in the neighborhood and was allowed to come visit but didn't live there plus my step-mother was able to take their dog to visit Dad. Dad was there for 4 years. When he first moved in there, there was a dog that came with one of the residents and lived there. Sadly, one of the other residents beat it with his cane and they weren't able to save it. The dog was a big old sweetheart and loved everyone and didn't bark or even growl. That ended the allowing animals to live there. This was an Alzheimers unit so the resident who beat the dog may not have even been aware of what he was doing. I have no idea what the staff was doing while this happened. I think the dog wondered into his room and he beat it. Personally, I think it's best not to let animals live there unless they are surpervised when near the residents because of this. (at least not in the Alzheimers units).:(

captain
02-05-2003, 06:24 PM
How terrible!

.... but yes, I agree. Whilst I feel all aged care facilities should allow pets for the therapeutic value, they should be supervised.

sabies
02-05-2003, 10:06 PM
Sorry about your Aunt and the tough time your Dad is going thru.

When my mom was in a nursing home I brought Sadie to see her. I never asked and was never kicked out so I guess it was ok. I think it's awesome that your Aunt's home is keeping her dog - sounds like a good place especially since you rarely hear anything nice about nursing homes!