PDA

View Full Version : my mini horse flare

babybunz
02-04-2003, 06:58 PM
I got flare from a farm that was getting rid of all the minis because their owner was in a nursing home. Flare never had much ineraction with humans till we got her about 6 months ago. She trust us now and comes to us when we call her but i cant seem to get her to let me pick up her hoof to clean it with the pick or touch around her ears. The ear thing is ok because some animals dont like to be touched there but i dont want her to be walking with stones and dried mud packed in her hooves if itz hurting her. :( any tips on what to do??

tikeyas_mom
02-26-2003, 12:49 PM
just try to be pateint she probibly had an abusive past and she is nerviouse around humans.. She doesnt know you mean know harm. I personally dont own a horse but I know that getting a pet that has been abused can be hard to get them to be your friend.. Just be pateint ok .. :) shell eventully let you .. Try distracting her with a sugar cube or an jucy apple :D maybe shell be to busy eating to notes you cleaning her feet out.. Be careful around her back feet as well because you dont want a kick in the head.. :) good luck with you new horse..

Desert Arabian
03-23-2003, 11:12 PM
I have had to put up with a lot of stubborn hoof-pickers. The trick I use, and works 97% of the time is: run your hand fully down the leg and squeeze with your thumb and index finger between the fetlock and the hoof. I rest the leg on my leg, so the horse has something to lean on, instead of balancing on three legs. I tend to lean into the horse a tad bit too, especially when I am trying to get its hoof up. It works for me all the time. Meanwhile, I have a buddy up in front praising and distracting the horse with some yummy treats. When I get done, I praise the horse many times and give it another treat myself. Remember, be careful of the frog, for it is very sensitive.

Be sure to get any and all pebbles and stones out of the hooves, its hurts them pretty bad.

Desert Arabian
03-25-2003, 04:51 PM
Oh yes, one other smart tip. When you clean out the back hooves, walk the back leg out a couple of steps...it makes it harder for the horse to pull its hoof/leg out of your hand. :)

Equinebehaviorist
03-26-2003, 06:54 PM
babybuns, how is it going with Flare? I have over 25 years professional experience with horses, especially feral and "problem" horses, but the large ones. Minis are equines, but their stature makes something of a difference in what will work. How tall is she? What are your plans for her? You will need to conqure the hoof issue because of needed farrier care as well as regular maintanence and prevention of thrush, whiteline disease and injury.

As for the ear issues, it could possibly be a health problem, as in mites, no seeum infestation, sarciods, and others, so it would be good to rule these possibilities out before you just let the ears go. Besides, if you want a true and deep bonding with her, you should address it, since head and ear shying is a trust issue when it is not a medical one.

PM me if you want for help.

Desert Arabian
03-26-2003, 06:57 PM
Maybe your horse has a bot problem in its ear? That can be solved by getting them out with a copper dish scrubber.

Equinebehaviorist
03-26-2003, 07:37 PM
Being dewormed with Ivermectin would most likely be WAY less painful. I sure wouldn't want a copper pot scrubber rubbing around in my ears. :eek:

Desert Arabian
03-29-2003, 11:02 AM
Both are just as effective. Babybuns, did you try any of our tips at all??

countrycowgirl
12-16-2003, 11:12 PM
babybuns i had a horse that didn't like its hooves to be picked up i took it slow and gave her lots of praise try touching her feet with sticks and things just get her to where she doesn't mind things touching her feet then gradually move on up and get to pick her feet up gain her rescept i hope this helps