PDA

View Full Version : I've had an epiphany!

Nomilynn
02-04-2003, 12:35 AM
As some of you know, I've said before that I wanted to go into an education program and become a teacher. Well, for at least the past year, I've really been having second thoughts. I decided today that I'm going to take at least a year off and take some time for me, and perhaps get a couple of computer certificates to improve my job propects. I've never had a real job - the only job I've had is working for my parents. I really feel like I don't have enough life experience to walk into a classroom and be a teacher at this point. I feel like if I go with the way I feel now, I will regret it because I will miss out on the enjoyment of the experience and program. I'm just totally burnt out as far as being a student is concerned - I'm 22 years old and it's ALL I've done!!

Since I made this decision, I've been so happy and relieved! I'm actually excited about my graduation ceremony in June now - before I didn't see it as important because I wasn't done, but for now, I'm going to be done and I can't wait! I will have an English degree - how cool is that!

My boyfriend has also said I'm "acting different" because I'm not moody and sullen, I'm just happy and laid back. A change for the better!! LOL :D

Just wanted to share this news with my PT friends! I'm so excited - I GRADUATE UNIVERSITY IN APRIL!!!! WOOOHOOO!! :D :D

Fuzzy317
02-04-2003, 01:50 AM
Congratulations !!! :):):) English was always my worse subject. :(

Taking time off and doing stuff for "you" is good. I haven't done that very often, :( but I am happy with myself, and there isn't much more you need. :)

02-04-2003, 02:10 AM
I am happy for you , Naomi ! Studying is very hard work and takes all of your energy . A degree for English , that is fantastic !! Congrats !!!

neko1
02-04-2003, 05:55 AM
Congratulations on your upcoming graduation!

moosmom
02-04-2003, 07:04 AM
Naomi,

Congratulations on your upcoming graduation! Sometimes it's best to take a couple of steps back and re-evaluate things. You did the right thing! I'm happy for you.

Logan
02-04-2003, 11:26 AM
Congratulations to you, Naomi!!! I think epiphanies come at the exact right time in our lives and lead us in the right direction. I had one of a different sort in the spring of last year which opened my mind and my heart. Two months later I met Scott and look what happened to me!! And I am so much happier than I had been in the previous 10 years (even more, actually) !!!! You just never know when something, the right thing, will strike you, and life will take a positive turn.

Best of luck to you!!

Logan :)

lovemyshiba
02-04-2003, 12:08 PM
Congratulations on your upcoming graduation!!!
Taking time off for yourself is a good thing--you don't want to burn out too easily!!!

Nomilynn
02-04-2003, 04:44 PM
Thanks everyone! I'm hoping that I will be able to find a decent job for the summer. Maybe something seasonal, and then with experience I can pick something up in October when all the students have gone back to school :D It's scary AND exciting! :)

mugsy
02-04-2003, 04:58 PM
Congrats!! And coming from a teacher, I'm here to tell you that I started teaching (as a sub) at 27 and didn't have any life experience either and it didn't bother me at all

Nomilynn
02-04-2003, 04:59 PM
I don't think I "need" life experience, but I feel like I want it. And I know that if I'm in a classroom and I'm hating it, the kids will know and it's not fair to them or me, and I think they deserve better than that. So I'm gonna wait and see :)

mugsy
02-04-2003, 05:29 PM
I think that's a brilliant move....always be as sure as possible

Chinadoll
02-05-2003, 12:06 AM
Congrats!!! I too graduate this spring and I can't wait. I know how you feel. I've been a secreatry all through college part time and full time. And while that pays the rent and bills, I don't want to do that forever. Everyone keeps asking me what I'll be doing now, but I have no idea. I've only ever been a secreatry...no experience with anything else. *sigh* Too bad nonprofit animal shelters don't pay publicists....that would be my dream job.

Nomilynn
02-05-2003, 01:06 AM
Originally posted by mugsy
I think that's a brilliant move....always be as sure as possible

Wow.. that's a really great compliment! Never had one of my moves called brilliant before!! :o :D Thanks!

It's funny, Chinadoll that you don't want to be a secretary anymore.. that's the exact kind of job I would like to have for a while! Something where there isn't any kind of homework :p :D

mugsy
02-05-2003, 09:15 AM
Well, I would say it's a deserved compliment (I don't generally hand out insincere compliments. :) ). Very few people have the forethought to realize that teaching may not be the right profession for them and just forge ahead and then they are either 1. miserable, or 2. crappy teachers

HayleyRosie
02-05-2003, 10:55 AM
Congratulations on your upcoming graduation. Time flies so June will be here in no time.