PDA

View Full Version : Extremly Exiting News!

Aspen and Misty
02-03-2003, 11:07 AM
I am going to be doing a program at my school on how to properly care for your animals. Alot of people at my school tie there dogs to dog houses and forget to feed them (Molly) just because they shed and don't want fur in there house. Or they are getting ride of there old dog because they didn't train it and it is out of controlle and are going to be getting a New puppy. So I feel my school needs to be better educated on how to care for animals.

Well anyway! Chewy will be there to help me educate about dogs. And for small animals The rats and Jilly will be there. Jilyl will be kept in a small animal pen on oneside of the stage till I am ready for her. The rats will be in my hood so when I need them they will be right there. Chewy will be up on stage with me following me aroudn and doing tricks. I can't wait!

If anyone has any thing they feel I need to talk about please post it! I will includ Puppy mills in my speech.

Ash

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

primabella
02-03-2003, 11:11 AM
congratulations ash! i am very happy for you! this sounds like a lot of fun. wish i could see it :( its great to have your pets right there with you. congrats again and good luck! :)

ps - maybe you could talk about reasons why people give up their animals. i read an article in the newpaper and they mentionned a few of those reasons was because:
-it was too big/small for them
-the dog was white and the furniture was black. it clashed :mad: (i'm serious this was a reason)
-they weren't home for it
-don't feed them, they shed too much (like you mentionned for molly)
-the dog was a barker (well, d'uh. they do bark :confused: )
-because people buy dogs like aussies when they live in tiny apartments

micki76
02-03-2003, 11:42 AM
What a neat thing for you to be able to do!! On behalf of all pets everywhere, THANK YOU!!:D And bravo to your school, too.

Tina
02-03-2003, 12:04 PM
Congrats! That is a neat program your school is allowing you to do. I wish we would had them kind of programs back in school.

tatsxxx11
02-03-2003, 12:09 PM
Congrats Ash!! What a thoughtful idea and so worthwhile! I'd definitely encourage them to please do their homework, researching the breed, their needs, personality, etc. before making that finally decision. And PLEASE make sure you have the time and finances to commit to this living being who hopefully will be with them for a long time! He or she is nothing less than a family member!! A pet of any kind should never be bought, adopted, on a whim!! Good luck, and keep us up to date before the big day! Won't Chewy have fun!!!:D

ChrisH
02-03-2003, 01:01 PM
Ash, I couldn`t think of anyone better than you to do such a program. Your pets, especially Chewy, are living proof of what a good pet mom is and can achieve.
Good luck and please keep us posted on how it goes.

Chris

Albea
02-03-2003, 01:19 PM
What a terrific project and what a great opportunity to educate the kids on the responsibilities of having a pet
Probably the most important fact they, and their families, should understand is that this is a commitment for the life-time of the dog (which is never long enough for the people who love them). In the last issue of the Yankee Golden Retriver Rescue newsletter there were some statistics that made me so mad.:mad: Between September and November 2002, 58 Goldens were adopted from YGRR, most of them turned to YGRR by their owners. In some cases there were legitimate reasons why people could not keep the dogs: illness, divorce, death, etc. But many of them were totaly irresponsible: "owner travels a lot," didn't he/she know that was his/her lifestyle? Another one: "she has six kids and it was too much to manage," well, didn't she know how much work it is to take care of so many children? The stories go on, and on, and on.
And these Goldens who end up at YGRR are the lucky ones because no matter how old or how sick they are, they are taken care of until a forever home is found for them.
Tell the kids of the millions of dogs who are put to sleep every year because they end up in a kill shelter, surrendered by owners who didn't live up to their responsibilities.
On behalf of all the pups who will have a better life because of your efforts, thank you!

RockyRoad
02-03-2003, 01:45 PM
Ash, you just gave me a wonderful idea! People in my school are just like that, tying a dog up and things like that. Maybe if I sent an anonymus letter to the school sugesting they have a program about animals like you do...

Anyway, that's wonderful news! I really can't suggest much that other people have not said already! I wish more schools had that kind of program. Then maybe it could help lower the amount of animal abuse (maybe..).:D Good for you Ash!!

lovemyshiba
02-03-2003, 02:46 PM
What a cool thing to do!! Congrats to your school for seeing the need for a program like this, and best of luck to you for doing the program. I'm sure it will be so much fun!!!

captain
02-03-2003, 04:31 PM
Ash,

Congratulations!!! What a fantastic project!!

I wish I could be there to see it too! I am sure you will be great, and lets hope you teach them alot.

I have Dalmatians, and YES they are cute, and spotty, and wonderful .............. BUT they are hard work, and demanding (like all dogs!). Make sure they understand the LIFELONG commitment of having a dog ... and that they should ALWAYS be part of the family, NOT part of the garden outside!

Go get 'em!

Let us know how it goes

wolf_Q
02-04-2003, 12:25 AM
Ash, this is amazing!!! Wow! Are you doing it all by yourself? I hope all of your pets will be good...and I'm sure they will! :D

Please let us know how it goes! I'd love to do something like that, but I'm afraid I'm too much of a wuss! There's no way I could talk in front of people like that! I have a feeling Nebo would be a butt too...:rolleyes:

Please make sure you inform people to research the breed of dog before they get them...too many people get dogs for entirely wrong reasons, and even if it's for the right reasons...they end up with the wrong dog! It is so sad...I see so many people who *seriously* think they love and take care of the dog...when the dog is chained up in the backyard....

Tell them that the pet should visit the vet regularly, and tell them of the grooming needs. A dog needs to be brushed, nails clipped, ears cleaned, etc.! Nobody knows how to do this! lol

Nomilynn
02-04-2003, 02:17 AM
Maybe another thing to mention is to do lots of research before getting a pet, to make sure lifestyles mesh. Also - it's a great chance to explain how important adopting from shelters are, as well as not buying dogs as "gifts" like at Christmas and stuff without researching first!

This sounds like great fun! Way to go!!!! :D

anna_66
02-04-2003, 06:13 AM
That is a wonderful idea that you have, it sounds like it will be alot of fun too!
The only other thing I could think of to add would be to make sure your dogs & cats are spayed or neutured, otherwise I think most of the others have the bases covered.
I hope all the animals are good for you. I did a speech when I was in 7th grade about grooming & had our poodle there, poor thing got so scared, she pooped right in front of the whole class:eek: Needless to say, I was really embarrased, I hope things go better for you than they did for me:D

moosmom
02-04-2003, 06:26 AM
Congratulations Ash! I know you'll do a great job. And I'm sure Chewey would LOVE being in the limelight. He's a beautiful dog and I know will be a hit among the students.

Dixieland Dancer
02-04-2003, 09:12 AM
WOW - what a wonderful project! Way to go Ash and Chewy!!! :D :D :D

Aspen and Misty
02-04-2003, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by wolf_Q
Please let us know how it goes! I'd love to do something like that, but I'm afraid I'm too much of a wuss! There's no way I could talk in front of people like that! I have a feeling Nebo would be a butt too...:rolleyes:

o don't worry I'm worried alot to. I'm thinking about reconsidering this. LOL. But I'll go threw with it. I just hope Chewy is good and does all of his tricks perfecty :D.

Originally posted by anna_66
I did a speech when I was in 7th grade about grooming & had our poodle there, poor thing got so scared, she pooped right in front of the whole class:eek: Needless to say, I was really embarrased, I hope things go better for you than they did for me:D

Thanx for that boost of confidence :p .

Thanx everyone! You gusy have giving me soem GREAT ideas. I totally forgot about spaying and nuetering your pets stupid me, lol. I hope I do good. I will give you all an update of when it is and allow you gusy to read over my speech so you can tell me how bad it is. LOL. I'm gonna have my Launge Arts (sp) teacher read over it and she can tell me what she thinks, but I know you pet talkers will tell me what I forgot and stuff, hee hee! Again thankyou!

Ash

robinh
02-04-2003, 01:22 PM
You'll do great! Its a subject you are interested in and that interest will come out in your speech. :D

Someone told me once the secret to speaking in front of an group is to act like you know more about the subject than anyone in the audience. It can also give you confidence knowing that if you can help or change one persons point of view - you've done a good job and accomplished the task you set out to do.

Break a leg!! ;)