PDA

View Full Version : Freaking Out

DoggiesAreTheBest
11-06-2001, 12:49 PM
I went home today for lunch. I don't normally do that, but I hadn't played with Drake this morning nor gone on our usual run, so I missed him.

I openned my front door and to my horror, I saw chocolate wrappers all over the floor. Drake had gotten into the chocolate jar. I have had that jar since before I had Drake and he has never been able to open it. Well, today he had. There were 8 wrappers on the floor. I freaked out. I immediately called the vet. He said Drake was big enough to where it couldnt poison him, but it was a good idea to get it out of him. He instructed me to give Drake a table spoon of salt. This should make him vomit.

I hate to have Draker vomit, but I would rather him get all that chocolate out of his system. Why did I even put chocolate in that jar? Neither Andrew nor I eat sweets. I put them out for my guests.

Oh, I am freaking out. I hate feeling like this.

purrley
11-06-2001, 12:56 PM
Oh my Gosh - what a panic - I swear these babies are worse than the skin type when it comes to getting into taboo stuff. Just get Drake to vomit it up - poor guy :(

aly
11-06-2001, 01:00 PM
Don't worry, Drake will be okay. Someone else went through this several months ago and it turned out just fine. They gave something else besides salt though. I wanna say rubbing alcohol, but don't quote me on that. I'm sure they'll see this topic and post about it. Sorry about my awful memory.

Reece got ahold of a hershey kiss before and I went crazy. I'm so glad you decided to go home for lunch today.

Rottie
11-06-2001, 01:03 PM
Poor Drake. I hope he'll be okay!

tatsxxx11
11-06-2001, 01:05 PM
Oh Souraya!! First, how is Drake? Did you give him the salt? Did he vomit it up?? Oh, I know how scared you're feeling. You just have to trust the vet that it isn't a toxic "serving!" They say for large dogs, it really does take quite a bit to make them ill. And the dark, baker's type choc. is the worst. That is my biggest fear; getting at choc.! My lab Star can get ANYTHING off the counter, and even higher. I so fear her getting at it that I put anything chocolate, even a choc. chip cookie, locked in an upper cabinet above the refrigerator. She once even pulled a bakery box with a choc. cake in it, ogg of the bottom shelf of the refrig. and I had to tackle her for it. It just causes to much worry to have it around that I rarely buy any at all. Please don't blame yourself. He hadn't touched it ever before, and you had no reason to think he would now. It wasn't a coincidence that you came home today, of all days. Someone was looking out for Drake. Poor baby, and poor you, have been through so much lately. Please let us know how he's doing. Oh, how frightening!! And don't hesitate to call the vet back if you think he's not feeling well...Lots of prayers and love to you Drake.

tatsxxx11
11-06-2001, 01:06 PM
Aly, I was thinking the same thing....But, I think it was hydrogen peroxide. :confused:

3-greys-and-a-mutt
11-06-2001, 01:06 PM
If the vet is confident that Drake will be okay, then all should be well. (After he gets it out of his system, at least!)

Don't feel bad about the chocolate! You took the precaution of putting it in a sealed jar, and Drake found a way! We can't predict what are dogs are going to get into. You could put the food in a high cupboard, and he still could have found a way - anything's possiblie! Look at Angel's Maddie, who escaped her pen a few weeks ago and ran rampant through the house, chewing on the toaster and turning the stove on! 20/20 hindsight, they say... you just can't prevent every calamity!

Dixieland Dancer
11-06-2001, 01:07 PM
Did the salt work in getting him to bring the chocolate back up? I hate to think of poor Drake going through this after just getting into a fight with the neighbors dog.

Don't beat yourself up over this though. You could not have know he would attack the chocolate jar. I will be praying Drake is okay. Give us an update when you can.

DoggiesAreTheBest
11-06-2001, 01:19 PM
If you have a big dog, you know that they can reach anything. I do not keep anything that Drake could get into on my counters or tables. No food, nothing valuable, no books. Not even plants. I have come home to find planting soil scattered all over my house! he can reach anything!

I gave him the salt at 12:30 and left the house at 1:00. He still hadn't vomitted. I had to be back at work, so I had to leave. I will check the yard when I get back. I had to put him outside so he wouldn't vomit in the house. He has a runner in the back yard that I put him on. That will make my search alot easier as well.

I am so worried about him even though the vet said he would be OK. I can't help it. You guys know how it is. I am having a hard time concentrating on my work.

You had to see the look on his face. I think he sensed that I was upset and freaking out. He was looking at me like he was saying he was sorry for worrying me.

His wounds have completely healed. We are going in tomorrow to remove the staples.

Thanks everyone for the reassurance. It has helped me a whole lot.

tatsxxx11
11-06-2001, 01:51 PM
I don't blame you for worrying!!! If I were closer, I would go check on him for you!! I'm sure he will be OK...But, if you know how much and what type of choc. he ate, you can also call the ASPCA poison hotline and they maybe can reassure you. I know the hours till you get home will be torture. TRY not to worry. Maybe you can go home at little early? Let us know how he's doing when you get home. We all love beautiful Drake! And you're a wonderful furmom. These things just happen sometimes, no matter how hard we try to "child proof" their surroundings. Maybe this clip from a veterinary "site" might make you feel better. These dogs are TINY compared to Drake and ate a lot more chocolate!

Q: Dr. Mike, My friend has three Shih Tzus (one adult male, one adult female, and a 3 month old male) and they just managed to gobble up one and a half chocolate bars while we weren't watching. My friend is pretty worried and claims that chocolate will kill them. I've never heard this before. Assuming they live, can you tell me how serious this could be if they do it again, and what actions can we take to help them? Mike

A: Mike- I'm sure the dogs are fine by now. Milk chocolate rarely contains enough chocolate to pose a serious threat to dogs from chocolate toxicity. A lot of dogs get pretty good cases of diarrhea after eating chocolate treats in large quantities, though. Baker's chocolate is concentrated enough to pose a threat to dogs and they can die from chocolate toxicity. So your friend is right about the possibility of chocolate toxicity but it is just not likely with milk chocolate ingestion, except in very large quantities.

Mike Richards, DVM

[ November 06, 2001: Message edited by: tatsxxx11 ]

kobieeli
11-06-2001, 02:12 PM
Try not to worry too much--dogs have a strange way of being okay when you think the worst, and then getting themselves into bigger trouble when you don't even expect it! My parents' Great Dane ate an entire 2lb. box of See's assorted candy (even the wrappers--at least Drake left those alone ;) ) and is still around to boast of it. And just a month or two ago K & E got into the garbage and ate about a pound of cooked chicken drumstick bones :eek: --on a Sunday afternoon when only emergency vets are on duty. We were absolute basketcases about it, but no harm came to them, thank goodness.

Think positive! I'm sure Drake will barf it up and you'll wonder why you worried all day...

aly
11-06-2001, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by tatsxxx11:
<STRONG>Aly, I was thinking the same thing....But, I think it was hydrogen peroxide. :confused:</STRONG>

YES! That was it! Knew I was off on that one. Now who was it who got the chocolate? Bella?

jackiesdaisy1935
11-06-2001, 02:47 PM
Souraya, I know how worried you must be, but you gotta trust that the Vet knows what he is talking about. Hopefully by the time you get home he will have upchucked. He is a big dog, so it probably might not affect his system.
Please let us know how he is doing and give him a hug from all of us.
Jackie

JoAnn
11-06-2001, 03:31 PM
awwwwwwww poor drake hoping he will be fine once he gets the chocolate out of his system.

JoAnn
11-06-2001, 03:33 PM
awwwwwwww poor drake hoping he will be fine once he gets the chocolate out of his system.

DoggiesAreTheBest
11-06-2001, 03:43 PM
I am home now. Left Work early!

Drake is fine, Thank God! He has already thrown up and seems to be OK. I have to clean up the mess though.

Once Again, thanks for your reassuarance everyone!

Daisy's Mom
11-06-2001, 04:41 PM
How scary! Please don't worry, I am sure he will be fine. He is a big boy and he didn't eat too much. Daisy ate a whole box of Oreos once that she stole from the lunch box of one of the neighbors and she was fine :)

mugsy
11-06-2001, 05:17 PM
One of our dogs ate chocolate one time and the vet said not to worry about it because it takes 1 pound of chocolate to even harm a 50 pound dog. He also said that baking chocolate is worse than dark chocolate which is worse than milk chocolate. And yeppers Aly, he always tells us to make them vomit by using H2O3.

I hope Drake is feeling better. Give him a hug from our menagerie.

Pam
11-06-2001, 05:29 PM
No Aly it wasn't Bella that ate chocolate but I think I might have posted something about my toy poodle, Pumpkin, eating chocolate many years ago. I had a 1 lb. box of chocolate covered salt water taffy on the coffee table inside a box. He never went near it and it never occurred to me that he would because he was pretty small and I frankly didn't think he'd be able to reach it. Well, one day I got home from work and the entire living room carpet was sparkling. These taffys are wrapped in different color foils and I have to tell you there was foil everywhere WITH NO CANDY LEFT INSIDE! :eek: As I walked around I saw lots and lots of piles of chocolate throw-up so thank God it came up! He was fine but I was sure shaking. I'm so glad that Drake is going to be OK. You have to have eyes in the back of your head sometimes!!!!

Golden Smiles
11-06-2001, 09:05 PM
Oh Drake you poor baby! :( Here you thought you were just sneaking a snack and YUCK!!!! Hope all is well!! XOXO

AmberLee
11-06-2001, 09:42 PM
Oh Souraya!

So sorry you and Drake had a miserable afternoon. Fur-babies can really make the heart pound in more ways than one. I had a scare recently with my cat and some cut flowers that turned out to be poisonous and can really empathize with you. So glad it's going better for you both now, and thrilled that all's well with Drake (chocolate) and Cassy (flowers). What will they get into next? :rolleyes:

*LabLoverKEB*
11-06-2001, 09:58 PM
Oh, how scary! Poor sweet Drake! I hope he's alright!

Sadie once got into a few dove chocolates... but, thank gosh she was alright!

Feel better, Drake! :)
Sarah & Sadie*

Sudilar
11-06-2001, 10:05 PM
Glad to hear that Drake is ok now. My first GSD, Wolf, ate a one pound box of Mint Meltaways from Fannie Mae and only got the runs from it. :)

RachelJ
11-07-2001, 07:33 AM
Thank goodness Drake had the sense to unwrap the candy. Before Tucker came to live with us, he had an obstruction that necessitated surgery. One of the things found inside of him was the wrappers of a Reeces Peanut Butter Cup along with some dental floss.

I'm glad Drake is going to be okay.

Dixieland Dancer
11-07-2001, 09:19 AM
I am so glad that Drake is okay! :D

Rottie
11-07-2001, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by Souraya:
<STRONG>I am home now. Left Work early!

Drake is fine, Thank God! He has already thrown up and seems to be OK. I have to clean up the mess though.

Once Again, thanks for your reassuarance everyone!</STRONG>

Glad to hear the good news! :)

KYS
11-08-2001, 05:52 PM
Glad Drake is OK. :)
I am sorry I did not write sooner,
but I have on going computer problems. :(