PDA

View Full Version : Ok, let's try this again...what's your favorite book?

mugsy
02-02-2003, 11:30 AM
I'm going to try a thread about books again, even though I haven't read much of anything in recent years. I enjoy talking about authors.

My favorite books of all time are "Far From the Madding Crowd" by Thomas Hardy (and that's the only one I've read) and "To Kill a Mockingbird" by Harper Lee....how about the rest of you?

Desert Arabian
02-02-2003, 11:32 AM
My #1 favorite book is the Lord of the Rings trilogy. ;) :D ;) :D :p

mugsy
02-02-2003, 11:38 AM
You know, I could never get into those books when I was your age, but I may try now since I've seen one of the movies and was intrigued.

iceyshiver21
02-02-2003, 11:43 AM
My Fav. Book is Gary Paulson's "My Life in Dog Years"

babolaypo65
02-02-2003, 12:02 PM
"A prayer for owen meany", by john irving. without a doubt. love it so much i named my dog owen meany.

second favorite.... hmm...might be microserfs by douglas coupland.
or maybe the fifth business by robertson davies (part of the deptford trilogy)

Cincy'sMom
02-02-2003, 12:12 PM
I'm not sure I could pick a favorite. I read way too much!!! Most recently I have been reading Iris Johannsen and Susan Conant. My mom got me a lotsof new books for my birthday, all dog mysteries, so I have alot of new authors to try!

personally, I couldn't get into the Lord of the Rings books. I read the Hobbit, but the language is so hard to follow, and honestly I'm just not intereted enough to try :) I enjoyed the movie, once got oer not wanting to :)

tomkatzid
02-02-2003, 01:48 PM
One book I liked alot was "The Secret Lives of Dogs", written by Jana Murphy.....tom

mugsy
02-02-2003, 01:48 PM
Geez Amy, that's exactly how I felt about the Hobbit!!

Cincy'sMom
02-02-2003, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by mugsy
Geez Amy, that's exactly how I felt about the Hobbit!!

Great minds think alike :)

mugsy
02-02-2003, 01:52 PM
Maybe that's why we get along so well!! lol

Nomilynn
02-02-2003, 05:25 PM
I couldn't say what my favourite book is, because I read so many. My favourite author is Judy Blume.. I love everything written by her. I just finished reading a book called "Once in a House on Fire" by Andrea Ashworth.. it totally blew me away.. I would highly recommend that one.

mugsy
02-02-2003, 05:29 PM
What's it about?

Nomilynn
02-02-2003, 05:31 PM
It's about a girl who lives in an abusive home, but it's the way it's written that is amazing. I read the first chapter, and I was like, "wow.. this is incredible" so I flipped to the back of the book to see if there was a bio on the author, and the first line read, "This is a work of non-fiction" I nearly dropped the book. It made the book that much better. It's like she's made a horrible life into a beautiful blessing that has made her the person she is with her writing. Totally amazing book. I'll see if I can find a abstract on it or something.

This site has some pretty good reviews:

http://hallhealth.com/mental_health/416.shtml

mugsy
02-02-2003, 05:35 PM
Hmmm....that sounds really interesting. I think I will go to Borders or Barnes and Noble and look it up. Thanks for the idea!

primabella
02-02-2003, 05:36 PM
i'm not much of a reader, but i have liked some of the books i've read with my class. "island of the blue dolphins" and "of mice and men" were okay. i didn't really mind reading them.

i love the "captain underpants" collection. :D my brother reads them and he got me into them. lol, i know i'm weird but i just find them funny and cute. :D:D

mugsy
02-02-2003, 06:02 PM
Now I am here to tell you that I can not STAND Steinbeck....he's so depressing and weird. I have a friend who is married to Steinbeck's nephew and she said that he was just as weird as his books! lol

RockyRoad
02-02-2003, 06:35 PM
I don't read much, I just wait for the books to be made into movies.:p But I really liked LOTR1, I've watched it 6 times since I got it last Friday.:rolleyes: I would try the book, but I'm banned from getting books for the rest of the month, after my mom spent $45 on an Edgar Allan Poe book.:rolleyes: People do say that the LOTR books have "hard" or "big" words in it that I would not understand, but I think that if I read E.A.P., I would be able to "handle" reading it.
BTW~Sorry I keep mentioning Edgar Allan Poe..:o

My favorite books are; Brought to you in Living Color(NBC book, it has all the shows they have ever had on NBC in it), Complete Tales & Poems of Edgar Allan Poe, Edgar Allan Poe, His Life and Legacy, and all the Chicken Soup books, even the ones for moms and stuff, because I enjoy the stories so much.

primabella
02-02-2003, 07:06 PM
Now I am here to tell you that I can not STAND Steinbeck....he's so depressing and weird. I have a friend who is married to Steinbeck's nephew and she said that he was just as weird as his books! lol

i don't care much for the author. just the story and i liked it. that's cool though, how your family knows a world-famous author. :cool:

mugsy
02-02-2003, 07:29 PM
nope, not the family, just a friend whose family is Steinbeck. I tried to like him, I've read quite a few of his books and I just can't deal with him. Just like Hemingway...I don't like him either.

Crikit
02-02-2003, 07:37 PM
You realize this could be a long list don't you. I always think I've got my fave books picked out and then wham I look on the shelves at work and find a new...oh the curses of working at a book store right now on my desk I have over a hundred dollars worth of books that I want to buy and that doesn't include the stuffed animals that we get for the gift section :o

Anyhoo my fave book by a Canadian Author would have to Obasan by Joy Kogawa. It's about a third generation Japanese Canadian who returns to her child home and reminces about her childhood during world war II and the Japanese internment during said time. I read it for a Canadian novel study in grade 11 and had to rush out and buy a copy for my own when I was done with the one from the library.

I also love the Susan Conant dog mystery series, have read and own them all except for the last one to come out...I waiting for it to come out in paperback. There's also the Murder She Wrote series but I won't go in to to much depth about those ones because it's sort of embarassing :D

My fave book though would have to be Kitchen by Banana Yoshimoto...I don't know how to explain it really, let's just say it's a little different just like the rest of her books...er, not as different as NP mind you but still different.

Kfamr
02-02-2003, 07:40 PM
we're reading to kill a mocking bird in school... although i've missed like 3 chapters because of my cold. :( My altime fav book is Shiloh.

Nomilynn
02-02-2003, 07:56 PM
I just bought Kitchen for my Young Adult Lit class.. I haven't read it though :)

I LOOOOVE Mice and Men.. but I've never read anything else by Steinbeck. I really "got" that book and had an awesome teacher to guide me, so that probably has something to do with it.

I just started "Age of Innocence" last night. I'm not liking it so far, but I have to read it if I want to pass my course in modern American Lit. :rolleyes: Sigh.. I know it's good for me to have a well rounded library but I hate when I have to read a book that is really boring (to me).

The Cat Factory
02-02-2003, 09:58 PM
My favorite books are the LOTR Trilogy and The Hobbit. I'd like to read The Vampire Chronicles by Anne Rice :)

shais_mom
02-02-2003, 10:06 PM
My all time favorite audiobooks would be by Dean Koontz "Fear Nothing" and "Seize the Night". I haven't read the actual books yet, but I do have them. I have listened to the audiobooks a couple times. Love em.
But I like Iris Johansen, and Jonathon Kellerman,and Sandra Brown, I am really not picky, as long as its good! I am not much of a Grisham fan, mostly have listened to his books and not read them, but am reading "The Summons" right now, and can't get enough of it!! Can hardly put it down!! I just read "Paradise County" by I think Karen Robards, and I really couldn't put that one down!!!

Desert Arabian
02-03-2003, 12:07 AM
You know, I could never get into those books when I was your age, but I may try now since I've seen one of the movies and was intrigued.

Same here, once I saw the movie I was intrigued. Before the movie came out- I never heard of J.R.R. Tolkein or Lord of the Rings. When I saw the movie previews I thought it looked like the dummest movie in the world. My dad asked me to go with him to see it, I was preparing myself for the 3 hour boring-ness during the car ride to the theater. 10 minutes into the movie, I was hooked. :D :D :p :D

Now I'm obsessed. :rolleyes: :D

Edwina's Secretary
02-03-2003, 01:35 PM
Well Mugsy...that's asking alot to narrow my selection down to one. I dwelt on this for 24 hours and still can't do it....so here's some favorites....

White Mischief....a true story of a murder during WWII. The murder took place in the English expatriate community in Kenya.

ANYTHING by Patrick Dennis --- Auntie Mame, Around the World with Auntie Mame, Genius,etc. Funny, funny, funny -- LOL funny. Sometimes under his real name of Edward Tanner -- his biorgraphy was interesting too btw.

The six volumes (!) that make up the Jewel in the Crown series. About the British Raj during WWII (do we have a theme going here?) There is a 7th book -- Staying On -- clever but.... This is also available on video and it is also wonderful (and has the most gorgeous man on the face of the earth in it.)

Herman Wouk's Winds of War. FORGET the tv. movie. Wouk is not good at drawing women characters -- they tend to be stereotypical -- saintly madonna, shrill harpie, beautiful tramp. His men are much more three dimensional. But one of the most important things that drove Pugh Henry was his short stature -- and they cast Robert Mitchum (six foot plus!) One of the few strong women -- they miscast Ali MacGraw!

Straight on to Morning -- about Beryl Markham -- a pioneering avitrix.....

mugsy
02-03-2003, 08:44 PM
Dang Sara, you just narrowed it down to a small library! hehehhe

Edwina's Secretary
02-03-2003, 08:48 PM
Mugsy....

Don't you want to know who the most gorgeous man on the face of the earth is?

mugsy
02-04-2003, 04:34 PM
SURE!!!

Nomilynn
02-04-2003, 04:35 PM
I want to know too! ;)