PDA

View Full Version : Okay, call me a whistle blower, but I DON'T CARE!!!

moosmom
02-02-2003, 09:27 AM
I was dog sitting for my SIL this weekend. Normally she lets Ashley (a golden mix who resembles a pot bellied pig) go pee and poop out on their deck (eeeeeeeewwwwwwww!!! that repulses me). I decided that since I'm responsible for her this weekend, I'd take her for walks. Afterall, we can BOTH use the exercise.

While on our walk, I heard a dog howling. I walked around to where the sound was coming from and there, behind one of the houses, was a sweet little golden form of some kind of dog, chained to a fence. The fence was no longer than 4 1/2 feet. No food, no water. Ashley and I walked up to her and her tail started wagging a mile a minute. She was the sweetest thing I'd ever laid eyes on. She and Ashley wanted to play so bad but sadly that wasn't possible. I went to pet her and she cowered, which is a definite indication of some kind of abuse.

I walked around one more time to make sure I wasn't making a mountain out of a mole hill. I wasn't. When I got back to the funeral home (yeah, my BIL is a funeral director) I called the police and reported it. No animal should be kept outside like that with no food or water, or even shelter. Yeah, she had a dog house, but it was so small and the chain wouldn't even have allowed her to seek refuge should it rain or snow.

I hate people who have pets but think that it's only a matter of putting it outside to do it's thing. UGH!!!!!!!!:mad: :mad: :mad:

Do I regret calling the police??? Hell no!!

Ann
02-02-2003, 09:36 AM
That's awful! What bastards could do that to such a sweet creature?!

Will the police contact you and let you know what will happen to the poor dog?

Kudos to you for being brave enough to call the cops!

RockyRoad
02-02-2003, 09:40 AM
I'm so glad you called the police. Hopefully the dog will get a better home, for the owner obviously does not know how to take care of his/her dog if they tied her up outside with nothing to eat or drink. I feel bad for the poor puppy. I hope she can get a home where she can have equal access to outdoors and indoors, lots of yummy food, and of course not be tied/chained up outside. :(
I can't believe someone could do that!!:eek::mad:

mugsy
02-02-2003, 09:46 AM
Good for you Donna...you'll be rewarded. I hope the poor girl is going to be ok and that the shelter doesn't just put her down or the owners are jerks and won't pay the fine, etc etc etc....I've heard those stories way too often.

moosmom
02-02-2003, 09:53 AM
I'm an avid fan of Animal Cops on Animal Planet. And I've seen the kind of animal abuse that is rampant in Detroit. This poor sweet dog deserves a good home. I might call the cops later to find out what happened. If I didn't have my cats, I'd adopt her myself. She definitely stole my heart. (psssssst....don't let my furkids hear me, they may cause a mutiny :eek: )

mugsy
02-02-2003, 09:59 AM
Hmmmm....let me know what happens. Maybe Pet Refuge could take her if nothing else works out.

Randi
02-02-2003, 10:33 AM
Well done, Donna! ;) I'll never understand why people like that would want a dog in the first place! Perhaps it would be a good idea to have everyone who want a pet go through a test to see if they know what it's all about!

I hope the dog will be taken away from these people and get a home with someone who has a clue what it's about!! Please let us know what happens. :)

Cincy'sMom
02-02-2003, 12:17 PM
Way to go Donna! I don't think you'll find anyone here who can understand how people can get pets and then just chain them up in the backyard, without food, water or shelter...yet it happens way too often! Let us know if you find out anything more.

NoahsMommy
02-02-2003, 02:34 PM
Great job!!!! That poor thing doesn't derserve that horrible treatment!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

People are idoits! :mad: :mad: :mad:

moosmom
02-02-2003, 03:06 PM
I drove by their back yard an hour ago and the dog was not there. I just hope they don't abuse it because the police paid them a visit.

Soledad
02-02-2003, 03:08 PM
You did the right thing. People need to be alert and speak out for animals, as they have no voice of their own.

zippy-kat
02-02-2003, 03:12 PM
Good for you Donna!

jenluckenbach
02-02-2003, 06:31 PM
BRAVO!

mom of 6 cats
02-02-2003, 10:21 PM
good for you!! and lucky for the dog you happend by.
I don't believe animals should be chained, they should be in a fenced yard, with enough room, but not chained. and should be able to reach the shelter!! as for the no food or water, I don't know if the dishes were just empty or not there at all? sometimes my cats dishes are empty or spilled and I don't notice, then wonder how long they were like that. but they have more than one food and water dish, so they are not without. especially water, that's important to them to have access to 24 hours a day!

so, I wonder what will happen to the dog now, if the owner got a warning, will they check back on the dog?

ramanth
02-03-2003, 10:59 AM
Good for you Donna!! *hugs*

Let us know if you find out if the police did take the dog. Who knows! You're case might end up on Animal Cops. :)

Fett
02-03-2003, 01:55 PM
Bad Boys, Bad Boys whatcha gonna do? Whatcha gonna do when they come for you...... ;)

Yeah Donna, you need to adopt that dog if they get rid of it.