PDA

View Full Version : Found kitty questions...

boscibo
02-01-2003, 06:15 PM
I didn't find it, but a friend of mine found a kitten while walking his dogs last night. He said it tried to come in his house, he put it inside his garage.

He asked me if we can take it, but from the description it sounds like it might be someone's cat. It might be a little skinny, but clear eyes and ears, and he says it looks cared for. I haven't seen the cat yet, but he says it's still a kitten.

He has agreed to keep it in his garage and feed it until Monday, I said I would help him find the owners (if the kitten has owners), or possibly take it in myself.

My question, how should I go about this? Call animal control, and the county shelter, but what else? Newspaper ads, but the town only has a small weekly paper, it won't be too timely. I'd feel bad about taking someone's cat if it did belong to someone, i'd like to find the owners.

Russian Blue
02-01-2003, 06:58 PM
Think of the places where most people frequent. Post an ad at the local grocery store, post office,etc. Post a couple of flyers in the neighbourhood where your friend found the cat.

Hope that helps.

;)

jenluckenbach
02-01-2003, 08:44 PM
people around here usually will call the police to report lost or found pet, as well as the shelters. And also, local vet's might be pput on alert for a lost animal. You could also post signs. JUst because a kitten seems well fed, doesn't mean it has a permanent home. People could be feeing it or more likely, it was part of a litter that was not wanted and now is in need of a new place to live. Good luck with it. Even if it needs to go to a shelter and have the owners retrieve it there, is better than being on the streets

Nomilynn
02-02-2003, 01:09 AM
If you do decide to post an add, make sure it's "call to identify".. that way you know whoever owns the kitty is the caller, and it isn't just someone taking the chance to scoop a new cat.

moosmom
02-02-2003, 10:58 AM
Boscibo,

I'd go door to door asking if someone has lost a kitten and then have them describe it. Also, post flyers around the neighborhood. Give it a week. If no one claims it, keep it. Anyone jerk that lets a kitten that young out into the streets doesn't deserve a pet.

boscibo
02-02-2003, 01:04 PM
Thanks for all the advice - I don't live in the same town, it's about 25 miles from here. The problem is, I don't know how far this guy is willing to go to look for the owners, he's going through a rough divorce right now and other things are taking up his time/priorities. That is why I'd like to get the kitty to my house, but then I know I'll want to keep it. And it will be harder for me to find the owner - if there is one.

boscibo
02-03-2003, 02:38 PM
Update:

My friend's sister-in-law took the cat - she was afraid it would get cold in the garage. She is going to put up flyers and the like, and look for the owners. I don't know if she's planning on keeping it if she can't find the owners, but I think she has other cats too - so she might keep it.

I know if it would have came here I would have wanted to keep it, and I could probably take another cat, but adding Hanna last fall was somewhat stressful for my other two cats.

Hopefully this kitten will get a forever home soon. :)

moosmom
02-03-2003, 02:45 PM
Boscibo,

Your heart was in the right place. Let's hope your friend's SIL decides to keep the kitty. She deserves a loving home.