PDA

View Full Version : Northern Lights!!!

AdoreMyDogs
11-05-2001, 09:22 PM
Sorry folks, I know this is the dog board but I wanted to share with you an amazing thing happening now in Michigan...

I was coming home from picking Graham up at my moms house after seeing the movie K-PAX and I stop because there is something rather creepy going on in the sky. I watch it thinking, "oh my gosh, there must have been a big star that exploded and it is shooting debris into our atmosphere because there are these streaks of pink/orange and white going down, instead of the usual horizontal coulds...these strange clouds were going vertical, almost like it was raining clouds. I watched for quite awhile and I felt that it was very beautiful but I had never seen anything like it before. I called my mom (she is south of me) and she saw just a little bit of strange looking pinkish color but not the intense pink/orange and horizontal white clouds that I saw...and with every second it seemed to change. I called the local news station (wkrk Fox 2 news) for the first time ever...I barely got a word out and the gentelman asked me if I was calling about the lights in the sky....I said yes and he said that I was seeing THE NORTHERN LIGHTS!!!!

I sat outside until my toes felt went numb from the cold! I shivered and stood on my balcony and watched the lights in awe, and watched them change form and color. It is worth trying to see them if you can...you may not be able to see them where you are at, but my goodness if you are reading this now, take a walk outside and look up just in case you will be able to see this. It's amazing.

My gosh, how cool that I just came home from the movie K-PAX and here I am seeing the sky in a whole new way :)

Sorry to post on the dog board again...I just really hope at least someone reads this tonight and walks outside and can see what I have seen :)

[ November 06, 2001: Message edited by: AdoreMyDogs ]

Logan
11-05-2001, 09:38 PM
I just finished chatting with a friend in Missouri.....and she asked me if I was looking at the Northern Lights!! I am so envious, Leslie. I am a bit too far south to see them, but I'm living it through you. Thanks!! :D

Daisy's Mom
11-05-2001, 10:06 PM
I am jealous too! It sounds so beautiful! Thanks for sharing your story ;)

11-05-2001, 10:07 PM
OMG!! Leslie I am truly truly jealous... and too far south to see them I'm sure - hence the name "Northern Lights" I suppose. But, I feel lucky at the same time because I did get to see the "Aurora Borealis" as a kid when I lived in Minnesota. It has got to be one of the most spectacular phenomenon anyone could witness.

Enjoy it Leslie and don't apologize for posting here. We all get off the main subject once in awhile... I don't mind! Hope no one else does.... I'm sure this topic is more interesting to everyone than my World Series topic :D!

Sudilar
11-05-2001, 10:58 PM
I'm going out in the yard with the dogs now, so I'll check for the lights. I'll bet it was awsome!!!

Nope, just stars!

[ November 06, 2001: Message edited by: Sudilar ]

sammi
11-05-2001, 11:38 PM
It is a beautiful site to see. Thats one thing we are lucky about living way up north.

crow_noir
11-06-2001, 01:39 AM
*whine* i just went outside to try to see them ...the dreaded evil street light that always ruins everything for me is there :( it's no fair!!! ...and i have never seen the NL in my whole life. ...and i live more north than you.

how was K-Pax? s.o. and i want to see it, but havn't yet? Monsters Inc. was really cute.

AdoreMyDogs
11-06-2001, 06:02 AM
Originally posted by crow_noir:
<STRONG>*whine* i just went outside to try to see them ...the dreaded evil street light that always ruins everything for me is there :( it's no fair!!! ...and i have never seen the NL in my whole life. ...and i live more north than you.</STRONG>

I am sorry about that streetlight...I wanted to share this with someone from here. It is on the news this morning though if you get this message. They showed a shot of it. My husband said it was one of the local channels, not sure which one, and they said that it should be going on tonight also. Maybe worth taking a drive to a nearby field or lake or something :)

how was K-Pax? s.o. and i want to see it, but havn't yet? Monsters Inc. was really cute.[/QB]

K-PAX was very good. I absolutely love Keven Spacey, anything with him in it is excellent, as far as I'm concerned :cool:

[ November 06, 2001: Message edited by: AdoreMyDogs ]

Logan
11-06-2001, 07:21 AM
Guess what I heard the weatherman say this morning?? At about 2 am, the Northern Lights were visible from here too!! :( Of course, at 2 am, I was sleeping....but I would have loved to have seen the spectacular view.

purrley
11-06-2001, 07:25 AM
No lights here - but I wouldn't know anyway - I'm sleeping at that time - whats with this - they're so many night owls out there :D :D

Dixieland Dancer
11-06-2001, 07:54 AM
Leslie, You actually got to see the ribbon color lights! :eek: We were in Canada a couple years ago and I just got the white of the Northern Lights. But I did get to see the colored ribbons when I was a teenager. It is a memory I will always cherish and it is very spectacular. Your post brought it all back to me again! Thanks for sharing and don't apolagize. It's nice getting off the subject once and a while.

mugsy
11-06-2001, 08:10 AM
WOW!! This must be some solar storm. the Auroras don't usually come this far south. I know when we spent our summers up in northern Wisconsin we could see them all the time....truly awesome aren't they? One time it looked like ghosts running across the sky.

ramanth
11-06-2001, 09:09 AM
I missed them but heard on the radio this morning that you could see them from Lansing too. :)

They also said there is a good chance we'll get to see them tonight. So I'll be looking!!

You're lucky to have seen such a sight AdoreMyDogs. :)

~Kimmy

AdoreMyDogs
11-06-2001, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by Kim S.:
<STRONG>I missed them but heard on the radio this morning that you could see them from Lansing too. :)

They also said there is a good chance we'll get to see them tonight. So I'll be looking!!

You're lucky to have seen such a sight AdoreMyDogs. :)

~Kimmy</STRONG>

I feel that yesterday was such a wonderful day. It was my 2 year anniversary with my wonderful hubby, I took Graham to my moms house at lunch so I would not have to leave him home alone while we went to dinner and a movie, dinner was great, movie was amazing...then I saw the northern lights :) It was a blessing, maybe Gods way of wishing Dan and I a happy anniversary :)

sammi
11-06-2001, 11:42 AM
AdoreMyDogs, HAPPY HAPPY BELATED ANNIVERSARY!!!!!!! :cool:

kobieeli
11-06-2001, 12:07 PM
Leslie wisely uttered:

K-PAX was very good. I absolutely love Keven Spacey, anything with him in it is excellent, as far as I'm concerned I'm with you on that one, girl! :D

Being in California, I have nothing to say about those northern lights, but I will definitely wish you a Happy Anniversary! :)

3-greys-and-a-mutt
11-06-2001, 01:00 PM
Yay Leslie - Happy Belated Anniversary!
(Strange world - I am the same age as you, and I will also be celebrating my 2-year anniversary three weeks from today! Yahoo for 1999!)

I wonder if the Northern Lights linger on for a few days? I missed them! :( :( :(

DoggiesAreTheBest
11-06-2001, 01:09 PM
I missed them too :( I am sure I would have missed them even if I didn't live deep in the South. Work wears me out and I am usually knocked out by 9:30 (at the latest)

I did however see the last Solar Eclipse of the Millenium when I was in the Middle East in August 1999. It was awesome!

jackiesdaisy1935
11-06-2001, 04:19 PM
That had to be a spectacular sight!!! What a wonderful way to spend an Anniversary, this is one you will never forget and a
VERY HAPPY ANNIVERSARY
Jackie

wolflady
11-06-2001, 04:24 PM
That is so cool!! What a neat anniversary too! :D :D I've never seen the Northern lights first hand...only in pics. What is it that causes them? Is it a certain time of year or weather activity?? In any case, that will be a really nice memory for you :D :D :D Happy belated Anniv too! ;)

Daisy's Mom
11-06-2001, 04:35 PM
Happy belated anniversary! What a great gift!!!

And Jessica I just have to tell you, I love your new signature pictures! What a great group of doggies!

mugsy
11-06-2001, 05:13 PM
Happy Anniversary to Leslie and Dan!! Mike and I celebrated 2 years on July 3. But, I'm sure I've got you beaten pretty badly on the age thing! lol