PDA

View Full Version : Breed question needs help

Buddy2101
10-04-2001, 03:19 PM
Hey. I am thinking about getting a dog.But I am going to need one to fit to my schedual. He would be home alone off and on from 8 to 3 on weekdays but everyone would be here on the weekends. It owuld eb nice if teh dog liked water. I was thinking about eather a yellow lab or a golden retreiver tehy both seem like extremly nice dogs I ahve done research on both but I wa just wondering from you guys which breed you thought would be best. Now it isn't fro sure that I will be able to get a dog but when I bring up the subject I would like to be prepared and have a breed picked out. Tahnx for your help.

aly
10-04-2001, 03:26 PM
Ohhh get a lab!!! I love Golden Retrievers too, and both breeds would be excellent. I have such a soft spot for labs though because of my Dessi :) :( Of course she did hate water, but here is a pic of her on a diving board, hehe.

http://wsphotofews.excite.com/035/cz/AA/fz/OB92481.jpg

Dixieland Dancer
10-04-2001, 03:32 PM
GOLDEN GOLDEN GOLDEN GOLDEN GOLDEN GOLDEN GOLDEN GOLDEN GOLDEN GOLDEN GOLDEN!!! Okay, I guess you can figure out my recommendation!! :D :D :D All are nice but GOLDEN is best! All my best friends are pure GOLD!

GOLD GOLD GOLD GOLD GOLD ..... okay I'll stop but you asked for it!!!!! HEHEHE

Logan
10-04-2001, 04:15 PM
I have owned both, and I don't think you could go wrong with either one! The lab we had was a male, and he was quite the energetic one. But he had nothing on my Golden, Honey, who is a very, very energetic girl. My second Golden, Lilly, is as laid back as they come.

I will say this (Sorry Dixieland): they both shed profusely and require regular brushing, but I don't think the maintenance on a lab is as hard because their fur is shorter and you don't get matts and tangles. Every mat and tangle I fight with now is well worth it though....I couldn't ask for better companions than my two lovely lady Golden Retrievers. :D

Whatever you decide, you will be very happy. Just be prepared to invest the time and energy into these wonderful dogs. And you might consider a Lab or Golden Retriever rescue. There are many adults looking for homes too. That's where my next one will come from. :)

aly
10-04-2001, 09:04 PM
I was going to come back and tell you what Logan said about rescues. The benefit is you'll know which ones like water, which will be fine alone without problems, and so on. The rescue group or shelter will want to help match you up with a dog that fits into your life because they want the dogs in good homes where they won't have to worry about someone returning the dog for reasons like it doesn't fit their lifestyle.

(ok I had to come back and add another picture of Dessi.. isn't she a sweetie?? :D :) )

http://wsphotofews.excite.com/032/3g/or/a4/Sy94403.jpg

[ October 04, 2001: Message edited by: aly ]

Daisy's Mom
10-04-2001, 09:26 PM
Dessi was so beautiful!

Buddy good luck with whatever dog you decide to get!

Dixieland Dancer
10-05-2001, 07:44 AM
Originally posted by Logan:
<STRONG>I will say this (Sorry Dixieland): they both shed profusely and require regular brushing, but I don't think the maintenance on a lab is as hard because their fur is shorter and you don't get matts and tangles. Every mat and tangle I fight with now is well worth it though....I couldn't ask for better companions than my two lovely lady Golden Retrievers. :D

</STRONG>

No apolagy needed but.... Both my Goldens are low maintenance with their coats because they get a high quality dog food. I only brush them about once a week. With all my other Goldens who have crossed the rainbow bridge I did have major shedding problems but then they were being fed dog food that was cheap and not very healthy. This does have a direct correlation to the shedding problem! :eek: :eek:

ilovehounds
10-09-2001, 06:35 PM
Im going to be the odd one out here :D I was going to suggest a Boston Terrier (LOVES water) or a Cocker Spaniel for small dogs and for big dogs a chocolate lab but goldens are great to :D :D or a Weimaraner (but think hard and research before choosing this breed if its going to be your first dog)

Good Luck !! and when you get your dog please take lots of pics and share with us :D

Golden Smiles
10-10-2001, 01:20 PM
Hmmmmmmmm........well, i have 4 goldens, so I am going to say "GO FOR THE GOLD" LOL They are THE sweetest, most loving, smart, loyal, gorgeous, comical and even tempered creature in all the world!! Now, they do shed A LOT in Fall and Spring no matter what,good food and fatty oil supplements will help w/ that, and the hair is long, but it's all worth it! Plus if you have any kids in your family(or neighborhood) you can pay them minimally to brush them cause they'll want to be with them.(and if that doesn't work, bribe them with candy!! :p

purrley
10-10-2001, 01:54 PM
get a cat - easy, easy, easy, :D :D :D