PDA

View Full Version : I Lost My Job...

moosmom
01-30-2003, 11:39 AM
:D :D :D Yup, that's right...I got called in at 10:30 and was told I could either quit or be terminated. I took the resignation because they said they wouldn't contest my unemployment. At least they didn't wait till 5 p.m. on Friday. The HR guy told me to tell unemployment that it's "lack of work".

Because I was still on probation, they had the right to terminate me without having to tell me the reason. I had a union rep with me who wrote everything down. I'll get two week's severance pay. I'm going to unemployment tomorrow morning after I drop Eli off to the vet for neutering.

My sanity was at stake. I hated it and was only there because it was a "paycheck". I'm really not even the least bit bothered by this. I'm wondering if it's denial or just plain numbness. I guess reality will set in when the funds run out. Hopefully that won't happen.

So, you guys will be see me online alot more, while searching for jobs.

I'm going to nap now. :D :) :) :D :D

Edwina's Secretary
01-30-2003, 11:44 AM
Donna,

I am so sorry! I have been in your shoes. Please let me help anyway I can....

Sara

Corinna
01-30-2003, 11:46 AM
Sounds like it was a good thing . i have had jobs like that. It better to find some thing you like better even if it pays less. I watched my dad be the most mersible man working a job he hated just to have money to raise us kids. I think I would have traded the extras he felt we needed for him to be happy at his job.
Prays here going out for you and the Perfect job.

lovemyshiba
01-30-2003, 12:03 PM
Sorry to hear that you lost your job--but I'm sure there's something better out there for you!! I'm sure it happened for a reason, and you'll be happier and find another job in no time!! Good luck!!!

Cataholic
01-30-2003, 12:35 PM
Donna,
I am sorry to hear about your loss of employment. As you noted, you were not happy there! But, still! So, get on down to unemployment...though I am pretty sure you can do it all online these days, and start hitting the pavement!

Good luck, and know we are here for you!!!!

DoggiesAreTheBest
01-30-2003, 12:38 PM
Sounds like you were in a situation that I am in now. I would have quit a long, long time ago, but I make very good money! I am finally quitting at the end of February! It will be a huge relief, but I am stressed out about finding a new job, Especially since I will be living in AL!!

Hope everything works out for you and you find a job you like soon!

Dixieland Dancer
01-30-2003, 12:45 PM
Hope you find the "right" job soon!

ramanth
01-30-2003, 02:27 PM
Yikes Donna! I'm sorry to hear you lost your job... but from the sounds of it, you're not too upset. :)

You know, you and Andy can look for a job together. He's STILL looking.

Good luck!!

Come look for a job in Lansing... *hint, hint* ;) :D

jenluckenbach
01-30-2003, 02:36 PM
Terribly sorry. But it may be a good thing. You don't know it yet, but this happened for a reason and I believe a better (or at least nicer) job is waiting for you. Then you will look back and say "Boy, if this didn;t happen, I'd not be here in this new great situation" So keep the faith.

NoahsMommy
01-30-2003, 02:52 PM
I'm so sorry! But, you seem OK with this. Things seem to happen for a reason.

I'll pray that you find a job soon, one that appriciates and challenges you.

Keep us posted.

Nomilynn
01-30-2003, 02:54 PM
I dont' know if I should say sorry or congrats??? :confused: :confused: Either way, I'm sure new opportunities will open up for you! :)

Miss Meow
01-30-2003, 02:56 PM
I'm sorry Donna. I hope it opens the door to something better and more satisfying for you - and quickly :)

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
01-30-2003, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by jenluckenbach
Terribly sorry. But it may be a good thing. You don't know it yet, but this happened for a reason and I believe a better (or at least nicer) job is waiting for you.

I agree, and like Miss Meow hinted at, when one door closes another opens, and hopefully that open one will lead to something much more to your liking.

Good luck in the job search, but for now I envy you your nap and the extra time with the kitties. :)

mugsy
01-30-2003, 04:12 PM
EEWWW Donna. I'm sorry to hear that you lost your job. I'm with Johanna, that you lost a job you hate, but, don't have another one. I hope the job of your dreams falls in your lap soon. The unemployment racket sucks.

lynnestankard
01-30-2003, 04:28 PM
Oh Donna - what a pile of poop! I hope you can find the right job for yourself - and one that recognises your talents I've got my fingers crossed so the money situation doesn't get drastic.

Lynne

neko1
01-30-2003, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by Corinna
It better to find some thing you like better even if it pays less.

I agree. Since a person spends so much of their time at their job, they should at least like what they're doing. I would really hate not liking going to work everyday.

Good luck in finding a job that makes you happy.

All Creatures Great And Small
01-30-2003, 06:52 PM
I daydream a lot about quitting my job or being fired, but only if I won the lottery first ;) . Gotta take care of my fur- and skin- kids (and my skin-mom!) for a few more years yet. I agree, I envy you the nap and kitty time, but boy, it's scary when you're not sure where the money will be coming from. My husband got laid off a few times from his job back in the 80's (once when I first found out I was pregnant; that did NOT add to the joy.....) and those were scary times, especially when the health insurance was due to run out. Take a little rest, and then go out there and show everybody what a great employee they've been overlooking! :D :D

By the way, if your sister-in-law sees that you're home a lot, you better say you're on vacation! ;) :p You don't want to open up THAT can of worms again.......:eek:

shais_mom
01-31-2003, 12:08 AM
I am sorry to hear that you lost your job, but I know it was stressful, so if you are "happy" (is that the right word ??) then it will be for the best!

Barbara
01-31-2003, 04:10 AM
Donna, I'm sorry. I hope that your feelings seeing it more as a chance stay stable all the time!

Daisylover
01-31-2003, 10:32 AM
OH how awful! I'm so sorry.

I'm gonna sound like my dad now (which isn't all bad). I've been working since for 30 yrs. The one thing I have learned is to listen to my little voice. If it tells me a job is not quite right, and I take the job anyways because of $ problems, I ALWAYS have ended up regretting it.

If you can, hold on until you're offered something you really think you would like to do. It's worth it in the long run. I know that when I'm happy at work, I'm usually pretty happy at home too.

So chin up and keep on looking until that perfect job comes along.
I don't know what kind of work you do but UMich is always looking for employees and the benefits are excellent! Good luck and stay in touch with us.

catland
01-31-2003, 06:47 PM
Go get yourself a glass of wine (or beer, or a cola, or a brownie, or a copy of the National Enquirer, or what ever sounds like a good indulgence) - and take the weekend off.

good luck on Monday withe the job search.

AmylovesMisty
01-31-2003, 07:12 PM
Well, I feel sorry for you
!!
But every bad thing has a good thing and that good this is MORE PET TALK!

AmberLee
01-31-2003, 09:20 PM
Wow. What mixed emotions. Sure hope you find a position better suited to you soon. A job that's not a good fit can really drain the joy out of life fast.

{{{hugs}}} Good luck and happy hunting.

moosmom
02-01-2003, 10:30 AM
Thanks for your support everyone! The tears still haven't come (what does THAT tell you???). I know I'll find something. It's just a matter of time. And yes Catland, I've taken the weekend off and am going to the movies this afternoon once I get my nails done :D. My furbabies will be happy to have me home and all to themselves.

I'll keep you posted.

Randi
02-01-2003, 11:59 AM
Good luck with the jobhunting, Donna! Take your time and find the right one. :) How about contacting a Temp Bureau?

Put your CV on a job database also, someone may be looking for YOU!

Good luck! :)

moosmom
02-02-2003, 09:50 AM
Randi,

That's a great idea. I've already posted it on Monster.com and have sent it to Oakwood Hospital. They do have openings and the pay is FAR better than that nuthouse I was working for. Just the thought of not having to go back there is a HUGE load off my mind.

lizbud
02-03-2003, 07:35 PM
Moosmom,

Just want to say that I wish you the very best in your job
search. I believe you to be a very strong person & I think
you will be able to ride this bump in life, just as you've rode
on past other setbacks & disappointments that have come up.
Please know that people are here to listen & hopefully offer
encouragement whenever you need it. Hang in there. It will
get better, I promise. Hugs from Liz & Moki.

moosmom
02-05-2003, 06:03 PM
Lizbud,

Thanks for the compliment. I went to the unemployment office on Monday. Because I only worked in Michigan for 3 months, I had to file for benefits in Connecticut. I almost fell over when they told me what my weekly benefits would be. $377 a week!!!!! That's over $150.00 more a week than what I earned when I was working. I'm relieved that at least now I know I can survive till I do find work. You can collect for 6 months and then there's an extension (not sure how long).

I also went to the Family Independence Agency to file for food stamps and medical benefits (I'm on medication I need to take everyday). I've been pretty busy the last 3 days putting my ducks in order.

I also have a wonderful landlord. He called tonight to see how I was doing. When I told him I could give him half of my severance pay ($275) for part of March's rent, he told me not to even worry about it for now that something can be worked out. What a great guy.

So, that's the update. I have absolutely no regrets about resigning. The place is an awful place to work and they treat their support staff like crap. Even the union rep who was with me said that it was NOT a nice place to work at. No kidding!!!

They say God takes care of babies and idiots. So far he's right on the mark. :D :D

mugsy
02-05-2003, 06:08 PM
Donna,

You are definitely on top of the whole thing. You are amazing! Good luck with the job hunt and yes, you sound like you have a great landlord. In Indiana the extension is another 6 months.

catland
02-05-2003, 06:13 PM
That's such good news.

It is always great to be done with a job that you truly despise - I've been there. That's such good news about your unemployment and your landlord. Good luck on your job search.

lizbud
02-05-2003, 08:06 PM
Moosmom,

Great news.:D You sound like you have things well in hand.
As one true survivor to another, you are a very intelligent
woman. It's their loss & you are free of that place. The future
looks brighter already.:) :) :) Continued good luck in finding
an employer who can offer you a challenging & rewarding
position. Hugs from Indy. Lizbud/Liz & Moki.