PDA

View Full Version : dog addiction

lovemyshiba
01-28-2003, 01:30 PM
I can't get enough of my dogs, or stuff for them. How do I overcome this addiction??? The second package arrived in the mail for them today, and I got another catalog with it, and I stop off at Petco or one of the other pet stores all the time.

But the worst part, is that I am constantly browsing petfinder, and PAWS, which is our local rescue organization. I found a Shiba Inu mix on there yesterday, who just had 5 pups, and they will be available after Feb. 9. I am just dying to go and see the pups and their mom, but I know what will happen--I'll come home with another one!!!! We live in an apartment, and really don't have enough room for another one (well, another one the size of Kito would be fine)--plus we both work and we would like to have kids one day.

Am I crazy, or does everyone else have doggie addiction issues too??:eek:

Kfamr
01-28-2003, 02:22 PM
Whenever i get money I either give it to my parents or buy Simba something....I even buy Honey things too, and she's not even mine!

Dixieland Dancer
01-28-2003, 02:58 PM
I know I have a dog addiction. I won't even go on vacation unless my dogs can go. We are going away for a weekend at the end of February for our wedding anniversay and it had to be a place the dogs can go to! My son is upset since we told him he has to stay home. :rolleyes:

anna_66
01-28-2003, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by Dixieland Dancer
I know I have a dog addiction. I won't even go on vacation unless my dogs can go.
I know what you mean. I can't really remember the last time we had a "real" vacation! We've never had a vehicle big enough to haul them all, until now:)
And as far as toys, chews, etc., I just spent about $25 on just treats for them Monday:eek: :D

robinh
01-28-2003, 03:37 PM
The Petco store on my way home is my downfall. I just plan to spend $20-$30 every time I go through the door. I looked around the house the other day and there are ropes, squeaky balls and fuzzy toys everywhere. My dogs have a toy box!! What a group of spoiled babies. :D

Dick used to give me a hard time about Petco, until just before Christmas. We went in to look at something and by the time we got out of there, we'd spent $70 on Christmas treats and toys. He was so shocked that he'd done that. :eek:

When we go away, we have my son come and stay with the dogs. I can't leave them with just anyone!

They are spoiled and I'm to blame! :o

skpaw
01-28-2003, 03:56 PM
Although I would never buy from a mall pet store, I go there often to hold puppies. (Them manager knows me and does not mind.) I just love to spend time with a fresh beautiful baby. The downside is for the next few weeks, all I want to do is go back and bring them home with me. I have 3 dogs, and that is my husband's limit.
My dogs love chewy sticks and stuffed toys. Maggie chewed up Honey's favorite ball, so I used it as a pattern and remade it from denim with a kitty bell inside. They loved it so much I made a whold bunch of them.

wolf_Q
01-28-2003, 08:40 PM
Oh believe me, I have that serious addiction too. And working at Petco DOES NOT HELP!!! Nebo has so much crap it's ridiculous. I've ordered things for him too. In fact, he has a pair of Doggles that were shipped yesterday! I also ordered a bunch of stuff from the Pet Edge (http://www.petedge.com) catalog for Christmas! I get pet catalogs all the time, but I think that one has the best prices. My parents (and everyone else for that matter) constantly tell me I have the most spoiled dog in the world.

He also always gets a bag of treats or something every time I take him to Petsmart for his classes. I love taking him to Petco and Petsmart, except when he decides to be a butt lol. :)

mugsy
01-28-2003, 09:27 PM
Hmmmm....Pet Addiction....20 dogs.....Do I or Don't I??? Hmmmm.... lol

lovemyshiba
01-28-2003, 10:04 PM
Thanks for the link to the Pet Edge catalog--that's one I don't already get--but I will in 5-10 days. Their prices do seem better than everywhere else.

anna_66
01-28-2003, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by mugsy
Hmmmm....Pet Addiction....20 dogs.....Do I or Don't I??? Hmmmm.... lol
Oh, very funny:p I think you have it worse than most people her do;)

Christiansmommy
01-28-2003, 11:15 PM
I dont have any dogs right now...though, we definatly want them in the future, when the time is right...just a cat right now...but i thought I'd mention something funny I heard while watching the Eukaneba (sp?) Dog Show the other night...since you were all speaking about buying your dogs tons of toys, this came to my mind. Of course tons of toys are good for your pets to have but the man on the dog show suggested that you have a basket of 20-32 toys availalble for your dog to play with!! I thought that was a riduculous statement...why 32?? LOL!! Why not 31 or even 28?? hahaha. I just thoght that was funny and had to share...how can you pinpoint the perfect amount...we all got a huge laugh at that statement :)

Robyn

Pam
01-28-2003, 11:18 PM
Yep! I remember that too! LOL! I wonder if he knew how strange he sounded!

wolf_Q
01-28-2003, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by lovemyshiba
Thanks for the link to the Pet Edge catalog--that's one I don't already get--but I will in 5-10 days. Their prices do seem better than everywhere else.

Yeah, I actually discovered their catalog at Petco...I think we order stuff from them, I'm not sure, but we have several catalogs...They are a wholesale company, so their products are meant for re-sale..that is why they are so inexpensive. However, if your order is less then $50 I think there's like an additional $6 fee. But if you are like me you will have NO PROBLEM going over $50 when you order! lol I thought their shipping was quite reasonable also.

LOL Christiansmommy! Oh boy, I'm going to have to count now...make sure its 32!! I know he has tons of toys, but it must be so important to have that *exact* number! lol ;)

Pam
01-29-2003, 07:58 PM
I subscribe to Petwarmers and recently received the following. Although this thread is about Dog Addiction, I thought 'why stop there?' Lots of us suffer from addictions to all kinds of animals, common and uncommon. I enjoyed the following so much and must say I related to way too many of these things! LOL! I think a lot of us Pet Talkers are hopelessly in the same boat!

An increasing number of mature men are finding themselves battling a
spousal problem that wrecks havoc on the home oasis and sanity.
While most husbands arrive home at the end of the day only to be
asked, "Guess what I did today, honey?" these men are not as fortunate.
Questions they must endure run more along the lines of, "Oh, honey, guess
what ate out of my hand today?" or, "You'll never guess what came up to me
while I was raking outside!"
Every bit as paralyzing as an unexpected IRS audit, the effects are
immediate -- eardrums pound like a savage beating on drums, palms get
sweaty, and eyes dart nervously about in search of the "thing" he
desperately hopes won't be found.
Another pet!
There is recent scientific evidence that a growing number of women are
being torn asunder by a beastly affliction called M.P.A.D, otherwise known
as Multiple Pet Acquisition Disorder.
M.P.A.D -- a rapidly progressive condition -- usually strikes its
victims during mid-life. Early symptoms are difficult to diagnose as they
often masquerade as a harmless interest in soft, cuddly animals.
Before long, however, the problem escalates and pet-a-mania sets in --
dogs wear sweaters, cats dine from lead crystal, and parakeets romp on
elaborate miniature jungle gym sets. When left unchecked, full-blown
M.P.A.D. is likely to develop, and the house begins to resemble a barnyard
with curtains.
M.P.A.D. can lay dormant for years only to emerge under the most
innocent of circumstances. For instance, when children have the
impertinence to grow up and leave home to selfishly begin lives of their
own, the house can appear to have extra space. When rearranging the
furniture doesn't help, many women panic. The home still looks, feels, and
sounds vacant. In an attempt to avoid the dreaded "empty nest syndrome" an
alternative is hastily sought.
It is at this point that the idea of adopting yet another family pet
seems a reasonable solution. But, things quickly get out of hand and
before long husbands find themselves with a problem too big to handle
alone.
Support groups for M.P.A.D. are almost non-existent, and materials and
books on the subject are not yet in vogue. One reason is because M.P.A.D.
is still essentially a "closet problem." Recent surveys indicate most
women find it difficult to admit they even have a problem, while the
husband's basic difficulty lies in simply saying "no" to yet another family
pet.
In an effort to help the real victims -- the husbands -- identify
early M.P.A.D warning signs, the following 14 symptoms have been
identified:

1. An unconscious tendency to gravitate towards any pet store with
the claim, "I only want to look."

2. A tendency to spend large amounts of time in the pet departments
of Walmart or Kmart, "just looking."

3. An inability to resist stuffed animal displays and subsequent
purchases, despite the fact there are no children at home.

4. Spending considerable amounts of time outside in the yard talking
to birds, squirrels, and other small animals.

5. Denies there is a rodent problem and hides all mousetraps after
viewing "Stuart Little."

6. Has an unnatural urge to watch "101 Dalmatians" three or four
times a week.

7. Consistently turns up missing at county and state fairs, only to
be found at the petting zoo area.

8. Is on a first name basis with every pet owner, and pet, in the
neighborhood.

9. Exhibits baby talk whenever animals are present.

10. Insists on a moment of silence while fishing, before casting a
live-baited hook in the water.

11. Becomes incensed when you refer to rats, mice, and grackles as
"pests."

12. Dog biscuits, birdseed, and unsalted raw peanuts replace potato
chips, M&M's, and Snickers bars in the family pantry.

13. Water dishes replace drinking glasses.

14. The term "three course meal" takes on a whole new meaning.
Instead of "1st, 2nd, 3rd," they become courses "for the squirrel," "for
the deer," and "for the birds."

Desperate to regain a sense of normality in the home, and the chance
to step across the living room without the crunch of birdseed or squeak
toys underfoot, men have begun to seek productive ways to fight the
M.P.A.D. malady. Prayer-chains, telephone crisis hotlines, H.A.F.A.
(Husbands Against Furry Animals), and other special task-force groups are
desperately needed.
If you or someone you know has already fallen victim to M.P.A.D., we
strongly suggest a lifetime membership to PETsMART, and controlling stock
in a feed store.
It's your only hope.

Cookiebaker
01-30-2003, 06:03 AM
I think a lot of our family and friends have given us up as a lost cause. We just aren't "normal" according to their standards. :rolleyes: "You take Malone to Puppy DAYCARE? Whatever FOR?" Anytime we go anywhere, he usually comes too...last summer it was to the family reunions and my cousin's weddings, etc. etc. And we won't take a vacation that he can't come along. He's my baby!

tomkatzid
03-01-2003, 12:52 AM
We will never take a vacation without our girls either. I had to go to Oregon last year,for an emergengy, because my Mom was in the hospital. (she's fine now) Tom had to stay home with the girls. If we were both needed out of town some place, one would fly to get there right away and the other would drive in with the girls.

We have a toy 'area' in the living room. And a toy box in their room. I pick up toys every morning and by night they are all out again, and not always the same ones:) There are more than 32 toys in each and every room of our house:D

When I have errands to run on my way to work and finish fast with time left over. I go to Petsmart to get a doggie fix. There is always one to pet and a Mommy or Daddy to talk to about their baby;)

RubyMutt
03-01-2003, 01:20 AM
Ruby is my baby, I can't help spoiling her... I just got another Drs. Foster & Smith catalog in the mail today... :rolleyes: I already have my eyes set on some new goodies for her