PDA

View Full Version : accidents

lovemyshiba
01-27-2003, 04:28 PM
We got Abbey in November, when we had already had Kito for 3 months. She is around a year old, and she came from a rescue, where the man kept the dogs in his house, but they had a doggie door to go out when needed. She had I think 1 accident up until last week, and that was because she was scared of the guitar. Last week she peed in the house almost every day, and when we were at my dad's this weekend, she did it twice. There, I wasn't surprised--it was out of the ordinary for her, and she may have been excited (my dad and my brother have a tendency to "drop" food for these 2 when we're there). I usually keep their water dish in their room (laundry room) and the door stays closed--when they go to the door, I let them in for water. I put some water down in the kitchen last week, and that's when she had a couple of accidents, so maybe she is drinking too much?? But today she had one again, and the water is out of her reach again. I'm not really sure why. They go out 5 or 6 times a day, and she doesn't really have a "signal", but I've been watching her, and they still continue. Any ideas on how to try to reinforce going outside--she does get a treat every time she goes outside too.

Stenograsaurus
01-28-2003, 11:27 AM
The first thing I would do is make an appointment with your vet to see if Abbey has any kind of urinary tract infection or bladder infection. Then go from there.

Dixieland Dancer
01-28-2003, 02:52 PM
If she doesn't have a medical condition then I would go back to square one and begin housetraining her. Do not assume that she "knows" right from wrong in this situation and retrain her.