PDA

View Full Version : Preaching to the choir

Logan
01-27-2003, 12:20 PM
But I thought this was a great article on MSNBC about dealing with the loss of a pet. It made me feel good to know that it was discussed on national television and maybe, just maybe, some of those non-pet lovers will think before they say "it's just a dog" or "it's just a cat".

Here's the link (http://www.msnbc.com/news/863484.asp?0bl=-0)

DoggiesAreTheBest
01-27-2003, 12:33 PM
Thanks for sharing the article, Logan. Having it discussed on National TV is great too!

I think you really have to love a pet to feel the grief a pet lover goes through when their dog/cat/rabbit/bird/etc... passes away. In December of 99, I was at my Uncle's house when his Great Dane died. I couldn't understand the emotions he and his wife had. I did (to my everlasting shame) think: "It's just a dog; why all the fuss." It wasn't till we got Drake and I became so attached to him that I understood what Sam went through. Today, if I even hear of anyone else's pet passing away, I grieve. Once I had accepted my dog as a part of the family and not "just a dog" did I learn the heartbreak that came along with the loss of a pet.

It’s important to have a good support group — friends, family, people who understand how important your pet was in your life.

Thank God for Pet Talk!

mugsy
01-27-2003, 04:46 PM
Finally, someone in the media that understands how most people feel about their pets.

Logan
01-27-2003, 07:08 PM
I think Warren Eckstein is a great animal lover and has written many books, but I am embarassed to say :o that I have never read any of them!! LOL!!! Anyway, as I said, I'm "preaching to the choir" as I know all of you feel just like I do, but I'm glad to know that Network TV is willing to allow these thoughts on their program in the midst of so many other newsworthy stories.

Logan

Dixieland Dancer
01-28-2003, 09:55 AM
Thanks for the article Logan. It had good into in it that can be helpful even to the most experience pet owners!

lynnestankard
01-28-2003, 10:52 AM
Great article - many thanks Logan for posting it. At last people are being advised to mourn a pet. Maybe we've known it for years I'm just pleased others are being told it's quite normal to grieve for a much loved pet. Hooray! Quite a break through!

Lynne