PDA

View Full Version : Why do dogs pant..? (help)

CountryWolf07
01-26-2003, 04:34 PM
Ok.. I think Rosie is sick.. she's panting A LOT.. her nose is hot and dry.. and we don't know what exactly happened, but this morning she was shaking like she was very cold, but, she stopped for now.. we'll be callin' the vet tomorrow..

Aspen and Misty
01-26-2003, 05:20 PM
O I do hope she is ok! Mostly dogs pant to cool themselves of. I know Chew pants when he is stressed out or worried. Keep and eye on her and give her a hug for me!

Ash

tomkatzid
01-26-2003, 05:22 PM
Hopefully she is just hot. We are baby sitting a cocker this week and he is panting a lot. Our house must be warmer than he is used to. Outside he is just fine, breathing normally. But please get it check out.

We had a cocker that panted at rest all the time. After several Dr. visits, tests and xrays they said she had constricked broncial tubes and put her on meds. 2 years on the meds that never helped and we finally got the right Dr. to look at her. She took her off those meds and did blood work. Then we were told she had 'cushings'. She required a whole set of tests and new meds.

So panting can be a sign of something going on. But more than likely she is just too warm.

primabella
01-26-2003, 05:29 PM
mickey is not much of a panter but when he does i try to get him to drink (i don't force, i just hit his dish or something) after he drinks that usually helps, but rosie seems more serious. i hope everything is alright. good luck at the vet :)

wolf_Q
01-26-2003, 11:38 PM
Hmm....I'm not sure what to tell you...I can't imagine it being *too* hot for her in your house, as it's pretty cold there right now. It seems to me that she is stressed for some reason. She might have a fever also. Let me know how it goes for Rosie at the vet! Now you've got me all worried! :(

Dixieland Dancer
01-27-2003, 08:51 AM
The first thing you need to do is take Rosie's temp. You should have a rectal thermometer around. Normal temp is around 101.5 for a dog. Dog's pant when they are over heated. It is there cooling mechanism. They also sweat from their pads on their feet. If she is running a fever you need to get her cooled off by putting her feet in lukewarm water and then call the vet immediately for further instructions on what to do. They should recommend what they want the dog to take in order to try and bring the fever down.

Normally a dog's nose is sort of moist. It can be dry and nothing could be wrong or it can be dry and the dog is sick. The nose is not a tell tale sign that something is wrong. All dog owners should have a pet first aide kit handy for emergencies and a rectal thermometer is a basic necessity in it!

I hope Rosie is ok. Please keep us updated.

Cookiebaker
01-27-2003, 06:37 PM
How's Rosie doing??? I'm worried about her, as well, and hope that you can update when you get a chance.

Meanwhile warm fuzzy thoughts sent Rosie's way. :)

wolf_Q
01-28-2003, 12:53 AM
Rach, how is Rosie doing ??

DoggiesAreTheBest
01-28-2003, 06:03 AM
Yes, Rachel. We are all anxious to know how Rosie is doing. Please update.

Tanya&Fritz
01-28-2003, 09:58 AM
How is Rosie today? Keep us posted.

wolf_Q
01-28-2003, 10:00 AM
Raaachel........guess I'm gonna have to email you!

CountryWolf07
01-28-2003, 12:50 PM
Ok! I'm here.. Amy had to get my attention..

Ok update on Rosie - She's still not herself, and it's been three days.. and well, we took her to the vet yesterday, and the vet said that she could have had a fever, but I am pretty sure she had it, and still has it.. her temperature is normal.. her heartbeat is normal.. everything is normal, so..
Sunday was her WORST.. she was shaking, panting, tired, and slept all day, didn't eat anything or drink anything, but yesterday, she ate some meat and rice, about a 1/2 cup, and she'll continue eating that today and for a while until she gets back to normal. She still acts strange, like she'd jump up for no reason, and stare up at the ceiling/lights, which just makes me real nervous.. the vet doesn't know what that could be about.. she still does that.. I just tell her to quit it.... hmm, she has this long blank stare then she'll blink and lay down and sleep.. then she'll jump up and do the same thing.. it's like she's hearing things.. my brothers were joking that we had a ghost around, and pfft, right.. couldn't be that, lol (Amy - ya know the whole story.. )
Rosie's nose is still dry/warm, but today she's a lot better, but she's still just so lazy, although, the vet thinks she's lethargic, and hopefully that'll be just for a while, because she is NEVER lethargic before.. what is so odd, is that, Saturday night, Rosie was just NORMAL!! She just barked, whined, wanted to play with Anna and me, and then Sunday morning, she just becomes so strange.. and still is.. I think she'll be alright.. the vet told us to keep an eye on her since he doesn't know what really happened.. Oh.. she acts AFRAID when she comes inside (from going potty) and heads *straight* to my bedroom, then my mom's bedroom, then back to mine, usually she'll stay on my bed and sleep.. and I'd watch her, and she'd get up and walk to the side of the bed and look out at the window, but if I say something to her, she'll get scared and just head right under the covers and stay there.. see, if I leave, she'll go right out and sit by the side again? :confused: Ok Rosie.. please get better soon.. Ok, well, that's the update so far right now, but I'll let y'all know when she gets back to normal!!

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid48/pa90ebb141a9c8535b485cdfc8ad7d7e1/fcb8474e.jpg

Kfamr
01-28-2003, 02:45 PM
Oh, I hope she gets better! She looks so sad in that pic. :( Poor girl, i hope it's nothing serious.

Dixieland Dancer
01-28-2003, 02:56 PM
Get better real soon sweet Rosie! Please keep us posted.

{{{{{HUGS for Rosie}}}}} That picture does look so sad. :(

lovemyshiba
01-28-2003, 02:56 PM
I hope Rosie is back to her old self again. Meanwhile, it sounds like you're doing a good job of watching her, and noticing all of her actions, hopefully that will help if you have to take her to the vet again.

Sending prayers your way for Rosie!!!

wolf_Q
01-30-2003, 11:43 PM
Aww poor Rosie! She looks SO SAD in that pic! :(

Her behavior sounds very strange....nothing I have seen before....I hope it is nothing serious! How is she now??

anna_66
01-31-2003, 07:06 AM
How is Rosie doing Rachel? Any better yet?

What a sad expression in that pictures, poor girl:(

Hope she's feeling better.

Dixieland Dancer
01-31-2003, 10:41 AM
I have had little Rosie on my mind. How is she Rachel? Has anyone heard? I think she does Instant messaging. Can someone find out?

CountryWolf07
01-31-2003, 11:31 AM
Hey.. well, I do HAVE AIM.. it's RMC2003 :) Anyway, Rosie is TOTALLY back to normal.. I'm happy about that, but, she still acts strange.. still looks up at the ceiling/lights for nothing...

Tina
01-31-2003, 11:42 AM
So glad to hear Rosie is doing better:)

anna_66
01-31-2003, 01:34 PM
Well, I'm glad to hear she is doing ok, I wonder what she keeps looking at the ceiling for:confused: Strange

slleipnir
01-31-2003, 04:38 PM
Glad to hear she's doing better!!

RICHARD
01-31-2003, 06:06 PM
Dogs pant when they are hot, dogs do not sweat so they regulate their body temps by breathing rapidly to disperse the heat inside their bodies........

(oh, the thought of a rectal thermometer, yikes!)
get the dog cold water, shade and get them to sit still for a while...

Dixieland Dancer
02-01-2003, 07:26 PM
Glad to hear Rosie is back to normal. :) Thanks for the update!!! ;)

CountryWolf07
02-02-2003, 01:34 AM
No problem at all! :)