PDA

View Full Version : wonderful story out of Bend, Oregon

tomkatzid
01-25-2003, 07:32 PM
'Rasta Dog' finds a home

Published: January 22, 2003

Winston, freshly shorn, snuggles with Steve Huddleston at Huddleston's Sunriver-area home. Huddleston and several other Central Oregon Community College employees left food out for Winston, who refused affection and evaded capture while living on the college's Bend campus.
Pete Erickson / The Bulletin

By Heidi Hagemeier

The Bulletin

Steve Huddleston chuckles heartily recalling his colleague's first encounter with the unofficial mascot of Bend's Central Oregon Community College (COCC) campus.

The big-city newcomer came tearing inside, out of breath, frazzled and shaken. "There's a bear outside the building!" he exclaimed.

"A bear?" Huddleston asked. "Do you mean the poodle?"

It's almost understandable why the fellow would think he came face to muzzle with Ursus americanus. The creature, standing 3 feet tall, had a black button nose poking out of mounds and mounds of coarse, matted charcoal gray hair.

Instead, this hairy beast was an ungroomed standard poodle who had adopted the COCC campus as home.

The dog, known as Little Buddy among staff and Rasta Dog among students for his massive dreadlocks, slept for years under an awning at the COCC Bookstore. Neither students nor other dogs phased him, although he didn't want to socialize with them, either.

Little Buddy never allowed people to approach him and, until last week, evaded capture for two and a half years.

Now, the peculiar poodle who slept outside in the pouring rain and powder snow is shorn, well fed and about to go to a good home.

"He wants to be someone's dog again," Huddleston said, scratching the surprisingly docile pup nuzzling against him.

Huddleston, veterinarian Byron Maas and others captured the dog last week after years of trying.

They took the pooch to Central Oregon Animal Hospital, where a groomer removed pounds of hair, since poodles don't shed. The dog, now named Winston, weighed 54 pounds before grooming and 44 pounds immediately after.

Maas performed a thorough checkup and declared that, despite going for more than two years without attention, the dog was in good health.

"This is probably one of the worst breeds of dogs to go wild because they require so much care," Maas said. "The dry climate helped him. In another climate, he would have been just a mess."

No one knows how Winston's sojourn on campus began. Perhaps abandoned, he appeared at COCC with a recently clipped coat and a collar without tags.

Maas believes Winston is a purebred poodle that is 3- to 5-years-old. Huddleston said staff spotted him roaming anywhere between Newport Ave. Market and Shevlin Park. He first saw the pooch shivering under a tree in the rain.

"I fell in love with him from day one," he said.

So Huddleston began putting a bowl of food out for him. Eventually, COCC staff chipped in for a bed, a heated water pail and food for the dog. They put the bed near the bookstore and placed a hay bale in front of it to shield the wind.

At first, people tried to tempt the poodle to come closer with treats. The pooch refused.

"I tried many, many times to get him to come to me, and he never would," said Lori Willis, who saw the canine daily as manager of the bookstore.

COCC put ads in the newspaper and called the humane societies. Nobody came forward seeking the dog.

That is when COCC staff started a cat-and-mouse game with Winston, with the poodle winning each round.

"He's smart, one of the smartest dogs I've ever come across," Huddleston said.

Animal control officials brought out large traps designed for bears in which the gate closes when the animals seeks the food inside. Winston never took the bait.

Then, veterinarians made three separate attempts at drugging Winston's food. They thought if the dog became groggy enough, they could get a leash on him.

Maas said despite fairly high doses, Winston bolted away each time.

"We think he just had so much adrenaline going that he would have enough energy to escape," Huddleston said. "After the third attempt, we were so frustrated and disappointed that we decided not to do this again."

Then COCC staff sought special permission from the city of Bend to fire a dart gun to tranquilize the dog. City staff denied the request, citing statutes against using firearms in city limits.

So COCC staff and students became accustomed to Winston's presence. Huddleston or Willis yelled "Little Buddy!" each morning, and the dog trotted down the campus slopes to receive his daily meal.

The routine went on for more than a year. Winston slept under bushes around campus and observed the bustle around him.

All the while, his hair grew, becoming matted and tangled. The poodle looked like a Sasquatch using four legs.

The dog's movement became stiff. He began bumping into trees. And he likely was nearly blind with all the fur in his eyes.

"His health was definitely going downhill," Huddleston said. "It motivated us to try again."

This time, Maas used a stiff drug cocktail on the dog's meal. It never knocked Winston out, but it sedated him to the point that finally they leashed him, loaded him into a truck and took him to Central Oregon Animal Hospital.

Maas expressed amazement at the dog's condition. Winston was underweight, which the veterinarian expected given the amount of calories the poodle must have burned to stay warm. But he had no parasites, fleas or problems with moisture trapped against his skin by the hair.

After neutering the dog and imbedding a locating microchip in his skin, the group waited to meet the new Winston.

"It totally surprised everyone, I think," Maas said.

Instead of a timid or hysterical dog, they met a pooch who rests his head on people's laps, who nudges hands asking for affection, and who waits dutifully at the door when he needs to go out.

"He was a bit scared, but I think he realized he was being cared for," Maas said. "He was much more mellow than on campus."

Recently at Huddleston's home, Winston greeted strangers calmly but warmly. He didn't bark. He enjoyed a stroll on a leash.

He was in every way a perfect pet.

Huddleston said fear explains the dog's behavior on campus.

"I think it was survival — he was out on his own," Huddleston said.

Since Winston's capture, a campus-wide e-mail has drawn contributions from students and staff of dog supplies and cash for medical bills. Mare Shey, a local dog trainer, even plans to provide some free training.

And on Saturday, Winston will finally find a new home. Huddleston can't keep the dog, but Willis, the bookstore manager, will take him home to meet his new friends — her husband, two young girls and their Labrador named Cinder.

Willis said her girls, ages 8 and 10, are excited to have a new companion to love.

manda99
01-25-2003, 07:38 PM
10 pounds of hair! Whoa! :eek:

Glad this had a happy ending, though.

tomkatzid
01-25-2003, 07:42 PM
here is his before picture from the paper

mugsy
01-25-2003, 10:08 PM
Poor guy....who ever dumped him deserves the same fate. What a sweetie!! You'd be hard pressed to recognize him. I'm glad he's getting a good loving home....he deserves it.

delidog
01-26-2003, 07:31 AM
I hope that Pam,Bella and Ripley see this one!!!!!

What a great story!!!!!!
Yeah Winston!!!!;) :) :D

Pam
01-26-2003, 07:44 AM
Tears are falling. This just breaks my heart. God only knows what made this dog so afraid of people that he had to live like this for years. Oh I am so glad that they didn't give up on him. God bless those who helped him. What a terrific ending - just like in the fairy tales. He will live happily ever after with his new family and new sibling Cinder. What a great start to my day! Thank you so much Delidog for alerting me to this!

primabella
01-26-2003, 08:34 AM
glad everything worked out for the best :)

RubyMutt
01-26-2003, 11:20 AM
Poor pup! That "before" pic was heartbreaking!! :( Thank God he found a place where people cared for him! I'm so happy that sweet Winston has found a forever home!!

pegwad16
01-26-2003, 11:52 AM
I'm so happy he found a new home where people love him. Every dog deserves that!!!

Pam
01-26-2003, 06:06 PM
Here is a picture of my Ripley when he was at the shelter. I'm sorry the picture is so poor but you can get an idea of just how matted the little guy was.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid48/pcd60523994939c0fe332d76936640bdc/fcb98dbc.jpg

Here he is 10 days later with quite a bit less hair and much happier. :)

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid48/p3ce0680781fd4e7d1d50b0a96f50ec1b/fcb98cf4.jpg

delidog
01-26-2003, 07:05 PM
Oh Pam!!!
Dear Ripley looks sooo much happier...Just like Dear Winston!!!!
Great stories for each of those Precious Poodle Pups!!!!!!

I particularly like the fact that Ripley seems to be acquiring quite the Wardrobe!!!!!!
Does he have Day and Evening Attire!!!

He seems to have a Daily Sweater Change!!!!!;) :) :D

Pam
01-26-2003, 09:14 PM
Delidog - I bought him a little red sweater the day I adopted him. My daughter felt he needed something 'more substantial' due to the extreme cold we have been having so she bought him the blue sweater. :) Then yesterday he received his new green/black/red one in the mail from a special Pet Talker! What I think is so wonderful about both Ripley and Winston, and dogs who are given a second chance at a happy life in general, is that they are so ready to love again. Us humans could learn a lot from them! Thank you so much for the article about Winston. It is one of those very special stories that I will keep in my mind for a long time to come.

Dixieland Dancer
01-27-2003, 08:58 AM
I'm glad there was a happy ending for both Winston and Ripley!!! :D :D

Rachel
01-29-2003, 07:17 AM
What a story and a tear jerker. Those poodles are so smart. I am so glad it ended well. Don't you wonder what the history of this guy was. I can't get over how his before and after photos mimic those of little Ripley.

Jessica12345
02-21-2003, 05:40 PM
great story! lots of tears, but in the end it was happy:D
10 pounds of hair:eek: :eek: :eek:
wow!
he is a real cutie.

Thanks for sharing this!:)