PDA

View Full Version : The making of ANGUS!

trisha0503
01-25-2003, 09:48 AM
I got this one from a certain website and I can't help but remember our precious Angus ;) Every description fits him !

This is for you Angus! We love you! :)

THE CREATION OF THE ROTTWEILER
(written by BEVERLY MITCHELL)

Once upon a time, long, long ago, before Mankind and Dogdom learned to love one another, the Grand Canine Council of Eight, which govern the fate of all dogs, called an important meeting. It had been decided that the governing of dogs would be more easily accomplished if each dog was designated by the name of his choice and each breed could then select a prototype to portray breed characteristics.
This action was deemed necessary because Mankind and Dogdom were to soon unite, hopefully to the benefit of each.
On the appointed day, the representatives gathered and one by one, in a orderly fashion, each made his selection from a series of catalogs depicting body parts available. As the day wore on, it became clear that there was not enough material on have to satisfy all breed requirements. Shortages were beginning to develop, especially in the ear and tail categories. A few of the breed representatives began to show signs of anxiety. A Greyhound crowded near a large dog at the front of the line.

"Please, friend Rottweiler," whined the Greyhound, "let me take your place in line. If I stay at the end of the line there won't be any long tails to act as a rudder, Greyhound will run crookedly."

"Well, Okay," said the Rottweiler, and he moved back a step for
the grateful Greyhound.

The line began inching forward again.

"Pardon me, sir," rumbled a deep voice at the rottweiler's shoulder. "Would you mind if I went ahead of you?"

"Well," said the Rottweiler, "I really don't think...."

"You see, " the deep voice went on, "we St. Bernards must have great size to perform our rescue work in the show. It's extremely difficult for small dogs to rescue people. Just think of all those lost children."

"Oh, all right," sighed the Rottweiler, and again he moved back in line."

And so it went....a little prototype dog for whom a long body was essential so he could wriggle into badger holes edged in; a Terrier type needed agility and speed to catch rats; another needed a dense coat to be comfortable while guarding sheep in winter; a tiny prototype needed a silky coat to please those upon whose lap she sat.
Finally, all that remained was the tired canine who had patiently yielded his place to the others. Sadly, he looked through the catalogues. Most of the items had black lines drawn through them....all of the good stock was gone. The Rottweiler sighed deeply.

"HURRY UP", yapped the Eighth Fate, without looking up.

"Well," said the Rottweiler, very alert now that his turn had come. "I guess a big deep chest won't look bad with small ears that stand up sharply."

"Sorry," said the Eighth Fate. "All out of stand-up ears."

"NO STAND UP EARS!?"howled the Rottweilers.

"That's what I said. We can give you rosettes, long or medium-short, but they all drop."

"I'll take the medium-short," said the Rottweiler with disappointment,
"They won't be too noticeable with a nice bright color combination."

"NO BRIGHT COLORS," yipped the Second Fate. "Only black."

"BLACK?" Snarled the Rottweiler.

"Wait, Wait," whimpered the Fourth Fate, in an attempt to placate, "Here are a few tan markings you can scatter on the face and legs."
"I have three white hairs here," said the Fifth Fate. Not enough for
everyone, but occasionally you can sprinkle two or three on a chest."

"It's not really what we had in mind." said the Rottweiler. Then he
brightened, "However a big plume of a tail will make up for everything."

"SORRY," barked the Sixth Fate,
"NO TAILS."

"WHAT!" Roared the Rottweiler, "You expect me to report back to my breed chairman in BLACK with a few tan markings, DROP EARS

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid48/padc46f66c0a0fee30b7f578667ef907f/fcbfa187.jpg

and NO TAIL???

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid48/p1c77e6758582c408a53544928b7b44ab/fcbb68c4.jpg

"Sorry," said the others. "You should have gotten here sooner."
"One moment," the Chief Fate interceded. "This prototype was one of the first to arrive."
"I can't help that," said the Eighth Fate crankily (he was getting very
tired). "Besides," added the Third Fate, "All of the catalogues are closed. There are no more supplies to be had."
"I realize that, " answered the Chief Fate, "but we can do what all good dogs should do.....give something of ourselves.

From each of us, Rottweiler, you will receive one gift to bestow upon your breed: COURAGE, GENTLENESS, INTELLIGENCE, STRENGTH, LOYALTY, PLACIDITY, HANDSOMENESS and VIGILANCE.

That's our ANGUS!!!!

Cookiebaker
01-25-2003, 09:52 AM
What a great "tail". And it's so true...it sounds like Angus all the way! :D

lovemyshiba
01-25-2003, 10:05 AM
What an awesome story!! My husband used to have 2 rottweilers (Indica and Burton)--he will love the story!!!

Cincy'sMom
01-25-2003, 10:05 AM
Cute story...and I love the illustrations!

Hugs to Angus and all the other Rotties out there!

joycenalex
01-25-2003, 10:13 AM
sounds like/ looks like rotties got good choices:D

Dixieland Dancer
01-25-2003, 11:32 AM
Anna is going to love this!!! I agree... Rotties didn't get short changed but given in abundance of all those wonderful virtues!!! ANGUS buddy....Tell mom to give you a HUGE kiss from me for being such a wonderful boy!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D

Now that you have a story written about you, you can officially be classified as a PET TALK LEGEND!!!

RockyRoad
01-25-2003, 01:12 PM
Aww what a great tail! Makes me think of Angus too!:)

anna_66
01-26-2003, 08:52 AM
This was just the sweetest thing...I just love it! And you guys are right, it sounds just like my sweet lovable Angus:D
I'm such a proud momma right now. I'm going to have to print this and hang it up!
Thank you so much Rosebel!!!
Angus a legend? He said it sounds good to him!!!

primabella
01-26-2003, 09:07 AM
lol, all hail angus! :D

turner
01-26-2003, 09:19 AM
Angus!

You are the sweetest rottie! What a beautiful story! Angus all the way!:D

anna_66
12-28-2004, 08:59 AM
She had bumped up an old Nebo thread and I remember laughing so hard at that. So I thought I'd bump up an old Angus thread that one of our memebers that are now gone posted.
Hope you all enjoy. It really fit my boy to a T:)

ramanth
12-28-2004, 09:23 AM
That was so sweet.

RobiLee
12-28-2004, 09:46 AM
I'm so glad you bumped this up, Anna! What a great story. Put a big smile on my face and also brought up a few tears.

Love, Robin

lute
12-28-2004, 09:47 AM
GREAT story! of course Angus is a legend!

DogLover9501
12-28-2004, 10:00 AM
Anna, I *LOVE* this thread! I remember you sent me the link a while ago and I had it saved in my "favorites" before my computer broke.

It is such a cute story, thanks for bumping it back up :)

And I agree, it definatly fit Angus!

Jadapit
12-28-2004, 10:36 AM
Omg that was just beautiful! What a wonderful tribute to Angus.

Kfamr
12-28-2004, 10:44 AM
I don't know whether or not to cry or smile over this. :(

sammy101
12-28-2004, 11:18 AM
what a wonderful story!!:D We miss you Angus!
thanks for sharing that great story

Wolffffman
12-28-2004, 12:30 PM
It's so true.....I love my rotties and wish they were still with us....such an awesome breed and generally so misunderstood.

dukedogsmom
12-28-2004, 01:00 PM
I missed this the first time around. What a wonderful tribute to such a sweet dog.

Sudilar
12-28-2004, 01:27 PM
Beautiful tribute and soooo true!

captain
12-28-2004, 08:09 PM
Brought me to tears .............

HUGS to Angus .......... and to you Anna and Mark ...

cyber-sibes
01-01-2005, 08:58 AM
Just came across this thread...how beautiful! I have tears in my eyes and a lump in my throat! My RB Rosie was only part Rotti, but she got all the best of the breed! I'm so glad I got to meet Anna's Angus- what a noble dog! Lovely story.

Sara luvs her Tinky
01-01-2005, 04:31 PM
I had never saw this before..

Thanks for bumping it up...

Made me really happy and sad at the same time...
Angus really was a super special pup!!!:)

delidog
01-02-2005, 04:16 AM
I had not seen this the first time,either!!

What a Fabulous story!!!!

and Yes, it is Dear Angus!!!!

So glad you bumped this up...
Yes, it should be hung in Annas' House!!!!

It brings a Tear, but also a Smile....
It is soo true!!

Miranda_Rae
01-02-2005, 10:23 PM
That's SO cool. It made me smile at the end when they listed his traits. Thanks for sharing that. Even with all the "shortages" of things, the Rott is one GORGEOUS breed! :D

Jods
01-03-2005, 10:02 AM
What a wonderful story I too missed it the first time around...