PDA

View Full Version : seen any good movies lately?

primabella
01-24-2003, 06:30 PM
just curious to know what movies you guys would recommend or not recommend. (preferably ones that are showing in theatres now ;))

i recently saw "just married" and thought it was hilarious. anyone else? :D

Cincy'sMom
01-24-2003, 07:31 PM
I posted this in a different thread, but I saw Chicago last weekend and LOVED it!

primabella
01-24-2003, 07:52 PM
really? it must be good, to have won all those awards. mind telling me what its about? it kinda seems like a broadway version of moulin rouge or something :o :p

sandragonfly
01-24-2003, 08:04 PM
YOU MUST WATCH "ALL THE LITTLE ANIMALS!! Soooo good, hearty!

Cincy'sMom
01-24-2003, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by primabella
really? it must be good, to have won all those awards. mind telling me what its about? it kinda seems like a broadway version of moulin rouge or something :o :p

That is sorta what I thought it would be, cause I had never seen the stage show, even though I knew a lot of the music. It is and it isn't. The basic story is that Renee Zellwegger is a young married woman who dreams of performing onthe stage. She kills this guy that lies to her and ends up in jail. Catherine Zeta-Jones is already a star, but is now also in jail for murder. Richard Gere is the fast0talking lawyer trying to get them off. There is a great mix of what is really going on the Broadway show version that Renee sees in her mind. Sorta hard to explain how it is done, but Great music, great costumes, great dancing.

RockyRoad
01-24-2003, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by primabella
i recently saw "just married" and thought it was hilarious. anyone else? :D

I just saw that too! Wasn't it good? I loved the part when they were at the airport and the girl put gum in the guy's hair! LOL! I also have seen Maid in Manhattan. It was great too. I don't know if anyone really wants to see this but I saw the Wild Thornberries. It was actually pretty good, I thought it was going to be stupid. Um, I saw The Ring, but that has been out of theaters for awhile, infact it should be coming out soon, or at least that's what my mom said. I am thinking about seeing the Two Towers. I don't know if any of my friends want to see that though. Hm...what else have I seen...well I guss that's it. ;)

primabella
01-24-2003, 09:06 PM
my fave part in just married has to be when they were on the airplane and had cotton swabs up their nose. lmao, also when she's like "didn't you ever have dreams when you were a kid?" and he's thinking about him and his friends fighting like jedi's. i was dying..lol! :D the wild thornberries looks dumb, i dunno. i can't watcha show or movie unless the drawings are done nicely. its this thing i have...lol well, there's also about schmidt. lol.

gina's ark - i have never heard about that movie. when did it come out? :)

slleipnir
01-24-2003, 09:10 PM
I see a lot of movies..I saw "Just married" a little while ago and saw "National Securaty" last weekend. I enjoyed both :] I'm going to see "A Guy Thing" tomorrow, anyone seen it think it was good/bad?

zippy-kat
01-24-2003, 10:27 PM
Mom and I saw "Catch Me if You Can" last weekend...pretty good!

(Ya know it's gotta be good if my mom stayed awake for it...she's notorious for falling asleep during movies! lol ;) )

Rachel
01-25-2003, 07:10 AM
For those nearer retirement age you might enjoy, About Schmidt. My husband and I thought it was hilarious and a bit depressing at the same time. And anyone who likes documentaries, I would recommend Michael Moore's *Bowling for Columbine*....chilling is the word that can best describe it.

Cookiebaker
01-25-2003, 09:48 AM
We saw "About a Boy" with Hugh Grant on Thursday night. I really liked it...though Markus' Mom was just a little Too ummmm strange, maybe? But I really like Hugh Grant's movies, and this one was just as good as the rest of them.

primabella
01-25-2003, 10:06 AM
i wanna see how to lose a guy in 10 days. i saw the preview and thought it looked pretty good. i have no idea how a guy thing is though. i saw stuart little this morning...that was cute :D

Desert Arabian
01-25-2003, 11:04 AM
I have seen The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (PG-13), 5 times. I am going for 10 or more, to beat my record of 9 for The Fellowship of the Ring. I have also seen Gangs of New York (R) once. Both movies are very good, and if you haven't seen them yet- you have to see them. :D :D

RockyRoad
01-25-2003, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by YellowLabLover
I have seen The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (PG-13), 5 times. I am going for 10 or more, to beat my record of 9 for The Fellowship of the Ring. I have also seen Gangs of New York (R) once. Both movies are very good, and if you haven't seen them yet- you have to see them. :D :D

My friend and I were thinking about going to See Gangs of New York. But I had to leave school early so I couldn't go:mad:. But I'll have to see it some other time! Oooh I wanna see LOTR, obviously I can tell by how many times you saw it that it was good. :)

I'm planning on going to the movies with my friend sometime this week, is "Catch Me If You Can" any good? Or maybe LOTR? Anyone see "Kangaroo Jack"? My science teacher said it was good, but I don't know, he's not my favorite person right now. What about About Schmidt? Hmm... gunna have to check Moviefone.com again!;) Maybe my mom will take me to Chicago one day, she wants to see it, and I guess it wouldn' hurt to check it out.

my fave part in just married has to be when they were on the airplane and had cotton swabs up their nose. lmao, also when she's like "didn't you ever have dreams when you were a kid?" and he's thinking about him and his friends fighting like jedi's. i was dying..lol!

Rotflmao! :D I feel bad for the dog that ran off the window though. But thank God that didn't happen to the dog in real life. Well, I better shut up now, people probably want to see it!:p

primabella
01-25-2003, 11:36 AM
lol, those were great parts! the LOTR didn't do much for me. i guess it varies with each person. gangs of new york looks pretty good though. :)

Chinadoll
01-25-2003, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by Cincy'sMom

That is sorta what I thought it would be, cause I had never seen the stage show, even though I knew a lot of the music. It is and it isn't. The basic story is that Renee Zellwegger is a young married woman who dreams of performing onthe stage. She kills this guy that lies to her and ends up in jail. Catherine Zeta-Jones is already a star, but is now also in jail for murder. Richard Gere is the fast0talking lawyer trying to get them off. There is a great mix of what is really going on the Broadway show version that Renee sees in her mind. Sorta hard to explain how it is done, but Great music, great costumes, great dancing.

LOL I tried explaining it to someone to, and all they basically got was that two women were trying to get out of jail with their fast talking lawyer for killing men who betreayed them...Then they tell me, "And you liked that?! Sounds depressing." LOL It was an awesome movie and awesome on Broadway also.

From upcomingmovies:
It's the long-awaited film version of the Broadway hit. Set in the roaring 20's, this is the story of Chicago chorus girl Roxie Hart (Zellweger), who shoots her unfaithful lover (West). Landing in jail, she meets Velma Kelly (Zeta-Jones), another chorus girl and murderess, currently enjoying media attention and legal manipulation, care of her attorney, Billy Flynn (Gere), king of the old "Razzle Dazzle." Soon enough, however, Flynn takes Roxie's case as well, and Velma finds herself old news as Roxie is now the most famous murderess in town, on her way to getting out of jail and becoming a star. The two go through a series of attempts at getting what they both want (often conflicting): freedom and fame.

Here's the website: http://www.miramax.com/chicago/

I also saw Gangs of New York. Mostly because Joey was dying to see it. It was alright. I'm didn't care for the violence. I was completely shocked to find out that Bill the Butcher was Daniel Day Lewis...What happenned to my Last of the Mohicans babe?! *sigh*

HoRsELUvR
01-25-2003, 01:33 PM
I saw Catch Me If You Can which was pretty good and i saw A Guy Thing which wasn't too special and i thought LOTR2 was really good.

Soledad
01-25-2003, 03:23 PM
The Quiet American was very good and especially relevant to things going on today.

Cincy'sMom
01-25-2003, 04:30 PM
Chinadoll-I just found out "All That Jazz" is going to be one of production numbers for this year's spring and Disney shows! Should be a blast!!

slleipnir
01-25-2003, 06:36 PM
the LOTR didn't do much for me.

Aww, I LOVE LOTR, it's awesome! Can't wait to see the last one :]

The Cat Factory
01-25-2003, 06:43 PM
I have seen The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (PG-13), 5 times. I am going for 10 or more, to beat my record of 9 for The Fellowship of the Ring

I can't wait ot see The Two Towers! I have seen the first one 52 times :eek: Is the The Two Towers as good as The Fellowship Of The Ring?

I haven't seen any movies in theaters for a long time, I like to buy them on DVD and watch them at home. I bought K-19: The Widowmaker on DVD a little while ago, and it was an awesome movie!

slleipnir
01-25-2003, 08:33 PM
Is the The Two Towers as good as The Fellowship Of The Ring?

I thought it was better :D I've only seen it 2 times so far, I'm too poor to see the same movie more then once in the theatres LOL

The Cat Factory
01-25-2003, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by slleipnir

I thought it was better :D I've only seen it 2 times so far, I'm too poor to see the same movie more then once in the theatres LOL

I'm too poor to see it once in theaters LOL!

wolf_Q
01-26-2003, 01:07 AM
Originally posted by The Cat Factory
I haven't seen any movies in theaters for a long time, I like to buy them on DVD and watch them at home. I bought K-19: The Widowmaker on DVD a little while ago, and it was an awesome movie!

I just watched that movie on friday, I fell asleep at least 5 times because it was so boring...and whenever I woke up, nothing new had happened. lol, just my opinion though.

My friend rented (for reasons unknown) Legends of the Fall. What an awful, depressing movie. I did not know it was possible to make a movie THAT depressing!

I think the last movie that I saw in a first run theater was Catch Me if You Can. I thought it was a great movie. I saw My Big Fat Greek Wedding in the dollar theaters, also a good movie. And The Two Towers is an amazing movie!! I'd love to see it again, I saw it right when it opened.

Crikit
01-26-2003, 01:19 AM
Mmm well the last movie that I saw in theatre was the Two Towers...loved that movie must see it again. Yesterday I rented About a boy, 101 Dalmations 2 and Soroity boys...I watced the first two and liked them both. Had to turn the other one off because well it sucked. Other then that I just haven't had the time to go see movies...I'll have lots of time to watch videos and dvds this week though so maybe that's what I'll do.

Desert Arabian
01-26-2003, 01:24 AM
Originally posted by wolf_Q
I'd love to see it again, I saw it right when it opened.
I saw it right when it opened too. I bought my tickets in early Nov.. My dad and I went about 45 min early, he didn't think there wouldn't be that many people. Um...the line for advanced tickets was about a block long. They were sold out of tickets.

Is the The Two Towers as good as The Fellowship Of The Ring?
I do believe that the The Towers is better than The Fellowship of the Ring- just by a tiny bit , simply because there is more Orlando Bloom in it, LOL, and I like all Aragorn, Legolas & Gimli's major "buttocks" kicking action. I could go on and on...but I'll stop. :D ;) :p :D ;) :p
For those of you who don't really know what Mr. Bloom looks like:
http://members.aol.com/OrliBloom177/OB45.jpg A little fuzzy- sorry.

NoahsMommy
01-26-2003, 03:03 AM
The last movies we saw were Harry Potter and Maid in Manhattan. Harry Potter was really good, especially considering I don't like that type of movie...I couldn't handle Lord of the Rings. (But my hubby sure enjoyed it...I sent him with someone else! ;) ) Maid in Manhattan was OK, I'd suggest renting it.

I really want to go see Two Weeks Notice and How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days. I'm all for chick flicks! :D

01-26-2003, 04:41 AM
Yesterday , we saw "Father Damian" . What a touching story! I am truly proud that Father Damian was Belgian , and Dutch-speaking!!

This afternoon we finally go to see "Lord of the rings 2"!!! It's a long movie , so I hope my back will be able to cope with it ..:rolleyes: :confused:

edit : we are back from that movie . It was FANTASTIC !!!

primabella
01-26-2003, 09:01 AM
i also liked harry potter 2, even though i don't like those kind of movies. last night i watched "like mike" and my parents watched "K-19". they said it was pretty good. anyone here seen scooby doo :p

Desert Arabian
01-26-2003, 09:11 AM
I can't wait ot see The Two Towers! I have seen the first one 52 times

Do you mean you have seen it 52 times in the theater??

I have seen The Fellowship of the Ring 9 times in the theater, but if you count how much I watch it at home- I am way past the 200 mark. I try and watch it once a week. :rolleyes: :p :D

lynnestankard
01-26-2003, 05:14 PM
Don and I have just returned from seeing 'Gangs of New York'. We enjoyed it but a couple of things bothered me - the continuity was rubbish - noticed so many errors!
And the Irish accents seemed to come and go at will! One of the 'so called' Irish accents was in fact Liverpudlian and had me howling with laughter!
And why was the only Irish man in it for any length of time NOT cast as an Irish man - i.e. Daniel Day Lewis who played 'The Butcher'
And 'Yes' we enjoyed it!!!

Lynne

The Cat Factory
01-27-2003, 01:48 AM
Originally posted by YellowLabLover

Do you mean you have seen it 52 times in the theater??

I have seen The Fellowship of the Ring 9 times in the theater, but if you count how much I watch it at home- I am way past the 200 mark. I try and watch it once a week. :rolleyes: :p :D

No!!! I didn't even see it once in theaters! I try to watch it once a week too, but I can't really sit through a 3 and a 1/2 hour movie (the extended version)! I usually watch a movie everyday, I think I watch Gladiator just about EVERY day :D

shais_mom
01-27-2003, 02:33 PM
Haven't seen any movies in the theater for awhile. I think I Spy was the last one.
But I bought Panic Room on VHS. It is really good!

sandragonfly
01-29-2003, 03:23 PM
Ah, nobody said about "All the little Animals"??? I'm telling you guys, you should watch it! Really touching...hearty. Good!
I just watched Instinct, The War, The Cure and Light It Up. Champ movies!! All so touching movies...Oh and "I Am Sam" awww...I feel like "I am Sam" was only five minutes movie!

Tina
01-29-2003, 06:00 PM
My husband and I haven't been to the theater in along while. I don't think we've been back since we went saw "Gone In 60 Seconds" with my family. Usually we just wait till they come out on video and dvd. So we can go rent them. The newest movies we've seen are "Scooby Doo" It was alot better then I thought it was going to be. "Spirit" I bought that one on DVD. "Lilo and Stitch" it is ok my daughter really likes it we bought it for her for Christmas. "Monsters Inc" I thought it was really cute. "Not Another Teen Movie" It was ok kinda dumb. I can't think of any others right now.

cturtle
01-29-2003, 06:07 PM
RE: I am thinking about seeing the Two Towers. I don't know if any of my friends want to see that though.

I'll see it with you britt. I saw kangaroo jack is really funny. HAHAHA. :p :p :D :D I wanna see catch me if you can, too. Really, I'd see any movie that wasn't rated "R." Except for maybe things that I don't want to see. OK, that kinda doesn't make sense. Oh well. :confused: :D :confused: