PDA

View Full Version : Cat Questions

DoggiesAreTheBest
01-23-2003, 12:38 PM
My two brothers (they live together in an apartment) are considering adopting a cat or kitten. They have some questions that I do not know the answers too. So, I will ask for Pet Talks Cat people to help.

1. Do only male cats spray or do females do that too?
2. Does nutering/spaying them take care of that problem?
3. Do cats shed alot?
4. On average for a healthy cat, how much does it cost to get their annual shots and check up?
5. Dogs go on Heartworm Meds every month, is there something that Cats have to take every month to prevent something?
6. On average, how much worth of food does a cat consume per month? (I am not sure what brands are the best, but they would be interested in giving it the price equivalence of Nutro or Eukanuba)
7. Do cats claw at furniture, bedding, etc... because they are bored?
8. How easy is it to train your cat to use the litterbox?

I hope these questions don't seem silly. They want to know what to expect before they go out and rescue a cat. I am very proud of them for thinking this through. I just wish I could help them more.

Thanks everyone!

jenluckenbach
01-23-2003, 01:01 PM
1. Do only male cats spray or do females do that too? Male cats are the culprit of spraying, but female cats could have litter box related problems too
2. Does nutering/spaying them take care of that problem?if that is the cause, yes. but there could be other reasons
3. Do cats shed alot? YES !!! But it will vary between cats
4. On average for a healthy cat, how much does it cost to get their annual shots and check up? call a local vet, it will vary by geographic location
5. Dogs go on Heartworm Meds every month, is there something that Cats have to take every month to prevent something? no, not to my knowledge
6. On average, how much worth of food does a cat consume per month? (I am not sure what brands are the best, but they would be interested in giving it the price equivalence of Nutro or Eukanuba) better leave someone who only has 1 cat answer this one. It would be impossible for me to tell
7. Do cats claw at furniture, bedding, etc... because they are bored? No, they do it to mark territory. Most can be discouraged to do it on furniture if given the proper insentive to do it elsewhere
any cat should already be litter box trained. All you have to do is make sure they know where it is, and provide enough of them according to how many cats live in a home and how large a home is

DaisyMcCat
01-23-2003, 01:16 PM
Good for them for asking questions before taking the plunge!

Unneutered males will spray. If a female sprays, it is usually a health problem (such as a simple UTI) or sometimes, behavior-related.

2. Does nutering/spaying them take care of that problem? Yes

3. Do cats shed alot? Depends on the cat, NOT the length of the coat. Some short-hairs will shed far more than some long hairs, and vice versa. But in general, if you have a cat, you will have cat hair--it comes with the territory.

4. On average for a healthy cat, how much does it cost to get their annual shots and check up? --It varies so much. Anywhere from $50-150 could be "average"

5. Dogs go on Heartworm Meds every month, is there something that Cats have to take every month to prevent something? No

6. On average, how much worth of food does a cat consume per month? (I am not sure what brands are the best, but they would be interested in giving it the price equivalence of Nutro or Eukanuba) --Again, depends on the cat. Kittens need more food than adults, and it depends if you are going to go dry only or canned. Maybe $30?

7. Do cats claw at furniture, bedding, etc... because they are bored? --They are marking territory and stretching the muscles in their paws. A cat owner must be prepared to train them to use a scratching pole, not the furniture.

8. How easy is it to train your cat to use the litterbox? --Extremely. Most kittens and adult cats take to it very well after being shown where it is.

Another important consideration whenever roommates adopt an animal is to make sure that this cat will be cared for for the duration of its life, even though the roommates may split up. As a shelter worker, I often see people getting an animal, then three years later when it's time to go separate ways, Fluffy is returned to us. I'm not trying to discourage your brothers at all, just givin them another aspect of pet care to think about.

Also, I hope they will consider an adult cat.

boscibo
01-23-2003, 01:31 PM
If you are used to dogs shedding, I can tell you that what a cat sheds is nothing compared to dogs. I have 3 cats and 3 dogs, and when I pick up dog hair I often have enough hair to equal another huge dog!

Even short-haired cats can fool you though - my Bo has a thick coat, and sheds almost constantly. You can just be petting him and the fur will waft up all around, like a cloud. He needs to be brushed often, otherwise he'll get mats.

Russian Blue
01-23-2003, 01:41 PM
Here are my answers:

*****Mostly males spray, but some females do also!

*****Again, there are exceptions!

3. Do cats shed alot?

*****Depends on the breed of cat. I currently have a Russian Blue and she does not shed and is great for people who have allergies.

4. On average for a healthy cat, how much does it cost to get their annual shots and check up?

******Again, depends on your location. Usually under $100 CDN.

5. Dogs go on Heartworm Meds every month, is there something that Cats have to take every month to prevent something?

******Unless there is an ongoing illness, or fleas, then the answer is no.

6. On average, how much worth of food does a cat consume per month? (I am not sure what brands are the best, but they would be interested in giving it the price equivalence of Nutro or Eukanuba)

******My cat usually consumes approx. $20 (I feed Royal Canin and some wet food for a treat.) But, my cat is very small and will only weigh 5 pounds at adulthood! So expect to pay more!

******NO! It is their natural instinct to claw because they are releasing their scent (territorial), stretching, and helping to 'shed' their claws.

******Depends on the age of the cat, but fairly easy if it is trained consistently. The younger the cat, the easier it is.

Remember, that cats are very attached to their environment. So they can become tempermental (ie: not using litterbox) when this environment has a sudden change. Cats like routine and clean litterboxes!

NoahsMommy
01-23-2003, 01:53 PM
I think they both are capable of doing this...

Not always, spraying is more of a territorial issue.

3. Do cats shed alot?
Depends on the breed. The long haired cats fur is more noticable, but I find short hair at home too.

At our vet, a check up costs $25.00. Shots run from $12-$16. But, at shot clinics, are much more reasonable.

Not that I know of

We feed our four cats Royal Canin. We buy two 7 lbs bags that last at least three weeks. For the two bags, we only pay about $35.00. So I would say about $40, for four cats. I think (someone correct me if I'm wrong) that if you buy a more high quality food, they don't need to eat as much food.

No...cats claw furniture because they haven't been trained to use the proper "equipment"....a scratching post. Cat's are very easily trained to do this. They are malicious just because they are bored. (Sorry, I just gave a speech in Toastmasters this morning on "Declawing....not an option"...so I'm still revving! :) ) The reason cats claw at all is to stretch their muscles. Here's a really good site for information on declawing as an FYI:Declawing (www.declawing.com)

VERY easy...they usually come trained. :) If not, they kind of figure it out if you show them where the box is.

zippy-kat
01-23-2003, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by DoggiesAreTheBest
Females can spray... ours sometime 'pretend' to spray (do the funky tail movement but don't actually release any urine) but this is only when they are REALLY excited --esp. when there's raw hamburger meat (a beloved treat of our kitties) involved! :)

My guess is almost always. We had our male kitties neutered before they began to spray. Tom never sprayed in his lifetime (that we know of). Max sprayed the front porch a couple of times, but I believe this was because an un-altered male was hanging around.

3. Do cats shed alot?
Yes and no. I would have to say that our girls (all but one are longhaired) shed more than the dog but less than my bunny.

Keep in mind the first couple of vet visits will be the most expensive but yearly (assuming nothing out of the oridinary happens) our girls probably cost us 50-75.00 a piece for shots. There's been debate about whether yearly shots actually help or hurt indoor cats. I know it's been discussed on PT too... I'll see if I can find the link...

Not that I'm aware of... unless you use advantage or the equivalent.

Depending on the cat's size and appetite (is s/he still growing?) this will vary. Right now, K'Cee (6mnths) is averaging about 4-6 pounds of Science Diet's Kitten Growth Formula per month. She also sneeks in a couple of bites from the other cats' dishes (Science Diet Hairball Control--Senior Formula ) and vice versa. I'm a die-hard Science Diet Fan--so that's my recommendation! ;)

K'Cee's 4lb bag of Science Diet usually runs about $6-7.00.

*sigh* unfortunatley, no! lol let me suggest SOFT PAWS... greatest invention under the sun!!! www.softpaws.com
I would like to say that the clawing instinct--although it doesn't completely disappear--does seem to lessen with age (and after spaying/neutering)!

We didn't train any of our cats... just showed 'em where the box was! Smart cookies!

Cataholic
01-23-2003, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by boscibo
I have 3 cats and 3 dogs, and when I pick up dog hair I often have enough hair to equal another huge dog!

:eek: :eek: :eek: Just for fun, do you ever assemble it into a dog shape? :D :D :D

zippy-kat
01-23-2003, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by Cataholic

:eek: :eek: :eek: Just for fun, do you ever assemble it into a dog shape? :D :D :D

:D LMAO! :D

For grins and giggles, paint it as a tux and send it to Cataholic!

wolflady
01-23-2003, 03:04 PM
LOL LOL All the answers are pretty much the same, but I'll throw my 2 cents in anyway. Kudos to your brothers for looking into this and asking questions. Right away that shows the makings of a responsible pet owner:D

Actually, both are capable of spraying. Spraying is a behavior that is used to mark territory and display dominance (much like dogs). However, it is more common in males than in females.

Yes. When a cat is neutered/spayed, the instincts for mating and therefore all the behaviors associated with it will decrease significantly. Either way, it's best to get the cat 'fixed' anyway...preferrably before the age of 6 months if it is a kitten. A male cat can start spraying behavior at 6 months of age, and once they start...they won't stop. Even after being fixed! :eek:

3. Do cats shed alot?
It depends. I have 2 short-haired cats, but they are completely different when it comes to their coats. Marius has a short close-lying coat, whereas Scooter has a very thick double coat. He sheds a lot!! Some long-haired cats probably shed less than he does! LOL

I think Noahsmommy has the best deal ever! LOL LOL It does depend on where you take them and what region you're living in. It seems like I'm always dropping more than $80 per visit, so I guess it's just a matter of finding the right vet!

Not that I know of. The only thing similar would be protection against fleas and ticks for oudoor kitties, but it's better for cats to be indoor-only pets. There are lots of people who aren't too familiar with cats who think they have to let cats outside. This isn't true. If you adopt a cat and keep it inside, chances are it won't know what it's missing as long as it gets enough attention and toys inside:D

You can get Nutro or Science Diet cat food that would be pretty much on par with the Nutro or Eukanuba dog food. Depending on the size of bag you get. I'd assume pet foods are pretty similar in cost depending on weight.

No. Scratching is actually a scent-marking behavior as well as a maintenance behavior. Cats shed their nails about once a month, and scratching helps remove old nail sheaths and sharpens the nail to keep it healthy. Clawing is also a scent-marking behavior. However, if you take the time to train the cat to a post or other appropriate location, it shouldn't be a problem. Nail caps are also an option for severe problem scratchers as an alternative to the cruel declaw process.

Very easy! They usually come that way! Simply put the litterbox out and show kitty where it is! :D

boscibo
01-23-2003, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by Cataholic

I should...just to freak everyone out. But luckily it is usually in the shape of my vacuum cleaner container. I cannot believe how much those dogs can shed!

DoggiesAreTheBest
01-23-2003, 04:36 PM
Thank you very much, everyone! I am sure your answers will help them tramendously. I think they are leaning towards rescuing an adult.

Of course, they plan on having the kitty fixed if it isn't already. They live in an apartment in Atlanta, so the cat will be strictly indoors, no exceptions at all!

I will print this thread out and give it to them.

Also, if I forgot to ask about something important or if you have any tips or whatnots to someone who is getting their first cat ever, please post it!

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
01-23-2003, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by DoggiesAreTheBest
Also, if I forgot to ask about something important or if you have any tips or whatnots to someone who is getting their first cat ever, please post it!

Don't expect anything....except the unexpected. ;)

Cats are so unpredictable that you never know what they are going to do. Just when you think you have them figured out they surprise you with something new - which just adds to the fun. :) Tell them good luck, and they need to join PT for any and all advice they made need, and we'll want to know all about the new kitty - and pictures of course. ;) :)

Rachel
01-23-2003, 07:09 PM
As someone who hopes that someday the husband will allow her to adopt a kitty, I really appreciate the people who answered these questions, which I had as well. You cat people are the best.

leslie
12-26-2004, 05:41 PM
of course one of their questions should have been to themselves. Who will take the kitty when we are no longer roommates???? What is the answer to that? No shelter should adopt to a temporary home.

PayItForward
12-26-2004, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by leslie
of course one of their questions should have been to themselves. Who will take the kitty when we are no longer roommates???? What is the answer to that? No shelter should adopt to a temporary home.
Yes, I agree. here is the questions every potential cat owner should ask themselves before adopting a cat.
http://www.piftails.com/calculatorrehomingquestions.html

leslie
12-26-2004, 06:11 PM
Ok i just got a 43! mostly because i don't worm or vaccinate yearly. Because they are all inside. Jan vaccinates when she can! Whooo the wind of snow is blowing.....my house is rocking from the snow avalanches off the roof and more coming down!

PayItForward
12-26-2004, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by leslie
Ok i just got a 43! mostly because i don't worm or vaccinate yearly. Because they are all inside. Jan vaccinates when she can! Whooo the wind of snow is blowing.....my house is rocking from the snow avalanches off the roof and more coming down!
Ignore the 43 figure as it is a newly added counter, nothing to do with the quiz. The quiz just gives advice and things to think about.

Any comments regarding inside only cats that need updating would be gratefully recieved at [email protected]

leslie
12-26-2004, 06:28 PM
ok then I will tell you what my vet told me. Feline Hospital in Salem Ma. but also at North Shore Animal Hospital in Lynn, MA. Rabies last a lifetime (shshsh) and distempter vaccines, probably one and the booster is enough for a life time. shshshshshs Vets know it but can't convince the states to change their laws on rabies or distemper. There you go. Make it more impossible for people to meet the laws (ok maybe that's a good thing).