PDA

View Full Version : coach rips dog's tongue out

RICHARD
01-21-2003, 06:20 PM
oh, the humanity!

The coach for the Edmonton Oilers hockey team pulled the tongue from the team mascot and proceeded to toss it into the crowd when the giant stuffed dog hung his snout over the glass near the Oiler's bench.

The dog was chased away from the area by Oilers players squirting him with water.

Should Coach Craig Mactavish be penalized?

Nomilynn
01-21-2003, 06:40 PM
Is this a real dog you are talking about? I'm really confused

Cinder & Smoke
01-21-2003, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by RICHARD
"... when the giant stuffed dog hung his snout
over the glass near the Oiler's bench.

Sounds like it was a *STUFFED*
(as in NOT living) dog...

Sure *HOPE* that's what it was!!

slleipnir
01-21-2003, 06:47 PM
Lol, I thought it was a real dog too at first, I was like, omg..teach him how to sew it back on?!

RICHARD
01-21-2003, 06:49 PM
harvey the hound is the Calgary Flames 6 foot 6 inch mascot!

He was making fun of the visiting team when the coach pulled his tongue off and tossed it into the crowd.....;)

sorry about the confusion!

lizbud
01-21-2003, 06:50 PM
He said it was a stuffed mascot dog, a toy....

It's still a very stupid action on the part of a semi-adult
human (coach).:mad:

p.s. Why would anyone post a poll for a response to this
kind of nonsense:confused:

Karen
01-21-2003, 07:00 PM
I think he should A) Sew it back on and B) Apologize to any parents who had children there. Wanton destruction of other's property is NOT acceptable behavior in adults, never mind an adult in a "Leadership" role.

RICHARD
01-21-2003, 07:03 PM
i posted the initial message and poll.

on sunday the next door neighbor (drunk as usual) backed his car over his dog, after about 5 minutes of the most ungodly howling, the dog finally calmed down.

the neighbor, in all his infinite wisdom, decided to hit the dog
with a stick.....by the grace of god i did not go out there because i would have killed the B@ST@RD!

my brother and the across the street neighbor told him that the dog needed to go to the hospital, he said that he didn't want the the dog to see a doctor.....after getting a hold of his daughter he then wanted to put the dog in the TRUNK of her car......
my brother and the across the street neighbor helped get the dog into the back of the daughter's car for the trip to the vet.

yesterday the dog came back home WITHOUT HAVING ANYTHING
DONE TO HIS LEG.....the family would not pay to have the dog's leg fixed.

i have thought about this since sunday

The next poll would be

what is more inhumane, stupid and childish?

running over a dog, beating it and not getting his leg fixed

or posting a poll regarding a stupid mascot?

thanks.

Cookiebaker
01-21-2003, 07:13 PM
:eek: :eek: :mad: That is soooo upsetting to me!! I hope you aren't telling the truth because I can't even think of it...What is happening to the dog now?? Has anybody stepped in that will see that he gets the necessary treatment that he deserves?? Is there anyone that you can call (humane society) that will be willing to help?? That is just AWFUL!! :eek: :mad: I am so upset right now.

lizbud
01-21-2003, 07:14 PM
Why didn't you just post the 2nd story first? :confused:

Desert Arabian
01-21-2003, 07:17 PM
coach rips dog's tongue out

PHEW- I thought it was a real dog at first. I was going to say, if it were a real dog, I would punish the coach by, well...let's just say he wouldn't be a man anymore. ;) :eek:

delidog
01-21-2003, 07:19 PM
Does this STUPID,MEAN neighbor have a history of abusing his dog??????
could you take the dog if it came down to it????
would his daughter take it and CARE for the dog????
How ignorant(or drunk) can your STUPID,MEAN neighbor be????
I am sorry that you have to live near and witness such horrible abuse....I don't think that I could contain myself.....
of course not knowing your area...sometimes it is worse to involve animal control ...as then they end up at the Pound....which is a horrid place.....
is there an A.S.P.C.A. contact in your area....Try NSAL.ORG
or The Tony Larusa Foundation....
or The Morris Animal Foundation????
or any other group that you could contact that might get Peacefully involved??????
bestfriends.org is another good contact...they have contacts everywhere...

Good Luck!!!!
I pray that poor dog is alright....
Thanks for your efforts and concern

RICHARD
01-21-2003, 07:33 PM
cookie,
the honest to god's truth. (my brother and I plan to liberate max and see he gets the care that he needs.......you did not read this..
it's a secret mission)

liz,
i have never heard the cries of ANY animal that made my skin crawl like max' did. I will remember that to my dying day....
sometimes a little humor is the way to clear out the horror
of a pretty traumatic event.....i was so ticked off that i wanted to
go and literally kick the crap outta this guy.......it would not have been pretty watching someone 6'2" beat the tar outta some 5'6"
drunk with absolutely no conscience.

I had no intention of writing the second story at all.
i also had no intention of irritating or making anyone angry.
I thought that the coach story would be a change from some
of the pain and loss-of-dog stories i see in this forum...a change of pace.....sometimes i leave my chair and have to avoid people lest they ask me, "what's the matter?" IT's no fun seeing some big oaf crying over a posting on a pet site.

my apologies to anyone i may have offended!

lizbud
01-21-2003, 07:44 PM
Richard,

I understand what you were trying to do now. I am such a
super serious person somtimes, I just don't see any humor
in anything that sounds like animal abuse . I didn't understand
that you were mad & hurting because of this poor dog :(

I wish you every success in helping free Max from this terrible
situation. If there's anyway I could help, I would. Good luck
to you on this and let us know how it goes. Liz.

Cookiebaker
01-21-2003, 07:57 PM
I agree...best of luck to you Richard...I'm glad to know that someone will be looking after that poor dog. Please keep us updated as to how it goes.

delidog
01-21-2003, 08:03 PM
Richard,

You In NO WAY Offended anyone...in my humble opinion anyway!!!!!!!!!
Pet Talkers Get angry when they hear of animal abuse...Not directed at you.....just spoken To you....

I am glad that you have the concern,compassion...the voice and the you know whats' to do something about such a terrible situation.....
I am so glad that you and your brother are trying to help Dear Max!!!!!!!

There is nothing wrong with somebody reacting naturally to what they feel....(big oaf on computer?!?!?!?I doubt it!!!)
We all here care about animals...no matter how big or small...(both the animals and the humans!!)
Please keep us posted on how it goes.....would love to hear the happy ending!!!!!!!! or if there is anything we could do to help...
not sure there...but sometimes an exchange of ideas helps!!!

P.S.
The original post WAS funny!!!!!!
I've seen the Oilers play the Rangers before in Edmonton!!!!
Not a Pretty Sight,Indeed!!!!
(and the friend I was with had the Audacity to Openly cheer for the Rangers!!!!!! BAD DECISION!!!
Those Canadians take their Hockey VERY SERIOUSLY!!!!)

Please keep us updated!!!!!

Tanya&Fritz
01-22-2003, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by delidog
The original post WAS funny!!!!!!
I've seen the Oilers play the Rangers before in Edmonton!!!!
Not a Pretty Sight,Indeed!!!!
(and the friend I was with had the Audacity to Openly cheer for the Rangers!!!!!! BAD DECISION!!!
Those Canadians take their Hockey VERY SERIOUSLY!!!!)

Hee hee! We sure do! We live and breathe it :D "Go Sens Go" or should I say "Stay Sens Stay" :D For those who don't follow hockey it's the Ottawa Senators I'm talking about and there's a chance we may lose our beloved team for financial reasons :(

Richard, I understood your poll completely! Horrible things happen to those mascots :D

Dixieland Dancer
01-22-2003, 10:37 AM
Richard, To answer your first post, the coach should be penalized from being on the bench for the next game and given a hefty fine. He is a Professional and as such as should conduct himself appropriately. His display of childish tantrums is becoming all too common in the world of sports and it must stop or we are going to reap the benifits of a future generation of whining babies who carry on when things don't go their way. This is not what sportsman like conduct is suppose to be.

For your second story. Get Max the help he needs in any way you can and DON'T let these people continue to be his gaurdians. I would of stepped in immediately and taken the poor fellow to the vet myself. If they resisted my attemps, I would of call animal control. It was a plain and simple case of animal abuse!

RICHARD
01-22-2003, 11:27 AM
operation max is set to happen at 12 hundred hours today.

lizbud
01-22-2003, 11:40 AM
Very Best Of Luck to you !!!

sammi
01-22-2003, 03:44 PM
:eek: Many of us on this site take everything literally (too much I guess!) so I understand what you mean. At first I was with Liz and thought what??????? Hope you can help this dog. Thank You.

RICHARD
01-22-2003, 04:14 PM
during his lunch time, my brother and sis in law went over to see how the dog was doing and were greeted by the wife of the a-hole.

they 'asked' if they could call the humane dept to get the
dog treatment and also let them know that if the dog remained untreated and the HD found out that they may seek criminal
charges......the dogs was taken, by the neighbor's wife, to have
his leg put into a cast...

The peanut head has not been seen since sunday-i have no love lost for the drunk neighbor, and would gladly plant my size 11 in the nether regions of his afterwards- but, i have to thank my mom, brother (who RAN next door to see the dog-this guy is the
dr doolittle of the neighborhood) my sis-in-law (who took it upon herself to find a # for the pet hospital) and the across the street
neighbor, who just waves and says, HI, most of the time but when something goes down he shows up and helps out.....

we bandied about the possibility of a dog-napping and re location of Max but decided that punishing the son, daughter and wife of MR PEANUT was not a good idea-

now that I have calmed down enough i will present myself at the first opportunity to suggest to my neighbor that should he even look at this animal crosseyed, I'll be more than happy to take his nasty a$$ out in the street and feed him dirty cat litter until it comes out his ears. Of course i will present it to him in a sincere, non-threatening way!

thanks for your concern and i will keep you all posted on how Max
is coming along...

:)

Crikit
01-23-2003, 01:03 PM
Well for the first story, because I'm from Calgary, the Flames our "My" team and Harvey's been around since I was a little girl...he's got to be one of the coolest mascots around that and well I hate the oilers, I think the coach should fined. However it's not what happened. What happened was the Flames GM and President apologized to the coach and players for Harvey invading their space :rolleyes: and that matter is apparently going to be looked at by the league.

and for the second one all I can say is I hope everything turns out for the good.

Cincy'sMom
01-24-2003, 08:29 PM
Did I hear on the news it was actaully the mascot that got in trouble? Okay, maybe he shouldn't have been near the bench, but the coach should have gotten in trouble too IMO.

Best wishes for Max. Glad he has good neighbors to watch out for him!

primabella
01-24-2003, 09:00 PM
i just had to post that i saw that coach ripping thing on TV today. lol, so funny. :p but also rude...anyways, about the second story, i hope all goes well :)

Crikit
01-24-2003, 09:51 PM
Update on Harvey (the mascot) the hound...aka the dog who got assaulted. Well he got a new tounge, there was a pic of it on each of the two major papers and on all three tv stations...hey it was better news then hearing that the team got shelled.

See here he is with his new tounge...

http://www.fyicalgary.com/htdocs/images/calsun/upload/sunpage0124.jpg

an interesting side note taht I just learned tonight...he was the first mascot in the NHL.