PDA

View Full Version : Need Help with a Decision

DoggiesAreTheBest
01-21-2003, 09:00 AM
Andrew and I have been wanting to rescue another dog to add to our family for a long time. We have been seesawing in our decision for quite a while. We will still be able to continue Drake's behaviorist appointments and training and financially able todo the same for the possible addition. I am trying to make a list of concerns that I have and weighing the advantages and disadvantages.

Number one criteria is the pup has to be a rescue. Whatever dog we get, it has to be a puppy (no more than 4 months old)! I would prefer an adult, but Andrew, our trainer, and I strongly believe that Draker would be more accepting of a puppy in our household than an established adult. I also thing that it would have to grow up to be about Drake's size. I want a GSD so badly! I am not sure if I want a male or female. Probably female for Drake's dominance issues.

Here are my concerns:
I feel like bringing in another dog will compromise Drake's only dog status. I worry about not paying them both equal amounts of attention and equal love. I couldn't handle being baised with them. I would also be worried about our constant moving situation. Drake gets settled in right away, what if the new pup isn't the same. A major concern is if Andrew gets deployed or sent somewhere where we all can't be with him. Will I be able to handle two large dogs that are my size?

I think Drake would love to have a buddy. He used to have so much fun with Sassy when he was with me. (Sassy is my roommate's dog).

I am not over analyzing things. Adopting a dog is life time commitment. I want to be sure that I will be able to handle 2 of them. If we decided to go through with it, then it will be in April after I return from Lebanon.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

mugsy
01-21-2003, 09:48 AM
Souraya,

I think that all of your thoughts and questions are viable questions. I would agree that a female would probably be a better choice. As far as attention goes, you would be surprised how easily it comes to give equal attention to both. I admire you and Andrew for rescuing another baby in need. Do you want a pure GSD or a mix? I know of a real doll baby at Brown County Humane Shelter that is a mix. That's where we got Pebbles and Dio. Let us know how it goes.

micki76
01-21-2003, 10:00 AM
I completely understand your feelings, and Drakes. We just went through the same situation. I will tell you that it will change your relationship with Drake, which was one of my concerns too. Chester and I are VERY bonded, and I am still a bit worried about giving Mille enough attention and still making Chester feel loved as much as before. It was a very hard decision for us. Chester has also had issues with other dogs (fear agression) and I was also worried about the new dog coming in and taking over and dominating Chester. Fortunately, it's all working out pretty well. We've been to a behavoirist and are working out everyone's issues.
Probably a female would be the best companion for Drake. He would most likely feel less territorial.
I must admit I resented Millie a bit the first couple of weeks and I was very suprised by those feelings. Chester was more interested in being around, playing with, and generally checking her out, more than being with me. But things are settling down now and we're getting back more to our old routine. And boy do they have fun together!
I guess what I'm trying to say is it really is worth it. I wondered there for a bit, but now its great!
We thought this out for about a year, knowing what an important decision it was so take your time.:)
Good luck with what ever you decide, and I hope this helps.

KYS
01-21-2003, 10:00 AM
I can understand your concerns.

I do not have the same problems as you since
I and my dogs are staying put, but I will
let you know what I feel having a multiple dominant
dog house.
Draw backs:
I personally will not have 2 dominant dogs in a household
again of the same breed.
Now, you are a lot younger than me and probably
have more patience and energy. lol
But because of their dog dominant issue, I can not
walk them together, and taking them on vacations
is a lot of work.
I must walk one dog, than come back and walk the other.
All 3 dogs get jeolous of each-other and I have
to be careful to make sure a fight does not occur.
Not to mention the expense of
vet bills and food. To be fair I have
2 AKita's which are a stubborn, dog dominanat breed.

On the "plus" side of having 2 dogs:
They keep each-other company.
And if both dogs are not stubborn, and not dominant it can
add joy to your household too.

I would definitly get the opposit sex dog, and
if you can, (no guarrantees) try to find
a puppy of a breed or breed mix that is
not of a stubborn breed, (helps with training)
and has no dominant issues.

JMHO

Dixieland Dancer
01-21-2003, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by DoggiesAreTheBest

Here are my concerns:
I feel like bringing in another dog will compromise Drake's only dog status. I worry about not paying them both equal amounts of attention and equal love. I couldn't handle being baised with them. I would also be worried about our constant moving situation. Drake gets settled in right away, what if the new pup isn't the same. A major concern is if Andrew gets deployed or sent somewhere where we all can't be with him. Will I be able to handle two large dogs that are my size?

First off, I commend you for analyzing the situation before leaping in head first. You are very wise to consider the possibilities of what will happen!

Now to address some of your concerns. I agree with your trainer that you need to bring in a pup instead of a full grown dog. I would also probably get a female. Knowing just a little of Drake's dominance issues (which by the way you have handled wonderfully and responsibly) you need to consider the possible dominance issues even a pup when grown will present. You do have more time to make the adjustment with the situation though by starting with a pup. The other advantage to getting the pup is you have time to shape the behavior to what you want before the pup becomes an adult.

Dogs naturally come from packs. They are use to being around other dogs from the start and if they are properly socialized do not have a problem being around other dogs when they get older. If you get the "right" pup and Drake learns to understand that it is what you want, he doesn't have a choice in the decision. He will adjust and my guess is will absolutely love it! I personally will never have an only dog ever again because it is so important for them to have one of their own around. It is actually easier having two than having an only child! They learn to entertain themselves to a degree and it helps them understand the human alpha status!

I do not think you will have an issue with having two dogs even if Andrew is not around because he gets stationed somewhere else. It sometimes becomes a balancing act when you have to take one and not the other but it is manageable. Exercising two vs. one is not an issue for me. I just take two leashes instead of one! I do the majority of the training and exercising of our dogs and it is just a common thing to see two dogs when you see me! I wonder how people do it with more than two though since I only have two arms! LOL

How quickly the pup gets use to moving will probably not be an issue with you either. You have a very active life style and are always stimulating the dogs senses with new adventures. This is key to how quickly a dog settles into a new place or routine. The one key ingredient in the pup adjusting to his surroundings will never change and that is YOU!

The one thing I confidently believe you would not do is play bias favorites. I realize the concern but it is no different than having two human kids. You love each personality and develope them as needed but you will wonder why you worried about this point after a few months. Dixie is my heart dog and I love her to pieces but Dusty is my pride and joy and gives me great joy too! Do I love one more than the other? Absolutely not! I love them each for what they contribute to my life and it is different but not more or less! I really hope I stated that so you can understand. I love them both and give them both love sometimes at the same time and sometimes separately. As the alpha I can pay attention to which one I want at any time and the other realizes that it is not slighting them because they are both secure in knowing I love them.

Even with Dusty being Dixie's puppy, when he was around 11 or 12 months old he challenged Dixie for Alpha status between the two of them. You may encounter that situation too and must be willing to accept how it turns out. You nuture the status of Drake being Alpha while the pup is small and you may not have that issue. I encoutered it for a short period of time in everything the two of them did. She put him in his place on things she wasn't willing to give up dominance over and let him have things that she didn't care about. Who is the dominant one now? Dixie in most things but Dusty in a couple. I needed to realize what they did and honor the way they worked it out. I never tolerated them going overboard in their assertion of issues though. They always understood I was the ultimate decision maker! I believe you are a strong enough personality to do the same!

I believe it is the right thing to do because you are the right one to do it! My advice would probably be different if I was talking to someone else but I feel you are just the person to handle the challenge! You will be rewarded in the long run! We will probably be having this conversation again in the future when you and Andrew decide to add human kids into the picture!! ;)

ramanth
01-21-2003, 11:46 AM
I really don't have any advice that hasn't already been given, but I just wanted to wish you luck.

I think Drake would love a play pal. :)

primabella
01-21-2003, 03:06 PM
well, good luck with this tough decision! no advice here, no good at it ;) hope all works out well, keep us updated :D

Aspen and Misty
01-21-2003, 04:33 PM
I thnk everyone else has covered it. i just also wanted to wish you luck!

Ash

Cincy'sMom
01-21-2003, 04:49 PM
I don't have much to add as everyone has given you great adive. We were nervous about bringin in a second dog even though Sadie was only 1 herself and loved other dogs...for a few days she seemed to hate the idea of Cincy, but after that and to this day they are inseperable! as much as she loves playing with us, there are just ways dogs play together and relationships they have we can not duplicate.

Goodl uck with your decision!

KYS
01-21-2003, 08:42 PM
Dixie: Dogs naturally come from packs. They are use to being around other dogs from the start and if they are properly socialized do not have a problem being around other dogs when they get older. >>>>>>>>>

I am assuming you mean their own pack and
not dogs outside of their pack. : )
Because with certain dogs, it doesn't matter
how much socializing you do they will still
not get along with strange dogs.

Pam
01-22-2003, 05:53 AM
Souraya I can totally relate to your concerns. All my life I have had two dogs at a time. I have always enjoyed watching the interaction between two dogs and do very much feel that a dog is probably happier with a playmate. Bella has been my only single dog, but of course that recently changed.

I knew in my heart I wanted a sibling for Bella almost from Day One but wanted to be very careful about who I chose. I had in the back of my mind that I would go with a puppy mainly because it would be easier on my cats to get to know a puppy rather than an older dog who might have a bad 'cat history.' The plan was to look at pug puppies this spring. (I have been strongly drawn to pugs for several years now and know their temperament is delightful). Well as you know, that was all thrown out the window when I adopted Ripley (not a pug, not a puppy) last Thursday. Sometimes our best laid plans...... :D

First of all, I do believe you have plenty of love in your heart for Doggie #2 whoever that may be. I also believe that a female puppy would probably be ideal, and maybe one who will not grow to be quite as large as Drake. I know you are an extremely responsible pet owner and by even starting this thread I know you are putting lots and lots of thought into it so I am sure your search for a playmate for Drake will ultimately be made carefully. I have no doubt that you will be able to make this work and I would love to meet this new little one whenever you open up your home to another little love. :) Oh, one last thing.....Drake will love you just as much as always. Sometimes I think people hold off on that decision because they worry their present dog/cat will bond with the new furkid and their relationship with them will change. In all of my years with animals (and they are many :o ) the first animal remains a constant companion and friend and nothing changes. Lots of luck to you in that search whenever you begin it!

Logan
01-22-2003, 08:23 AM
You are getting sound advice, Souraya. And I completely trust your judgement!! You guys have such a special relationship with Drake that it will take a very special dog to fit in there, but I have faith that you can find just the right one for you and for Drake. I haven't ever had to deal with the dominance issues since my girls are such pansies, but I wish you lots of luck!!! :D

Dixieland Dancer
01-22-2003, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by KYS
Dixie: Dogs naturally come from packs. They are use to being around other dogs from the start and if they are properly socialized do not have a problem being around other dogs when they get older. >>>>>>>>>

I am assuming you mean their own pack and
not dogs outside of their pack. : )
Because with certain dogs, it doesn't matter
how much socializing you do they will still
not get along with strange dogs.

Yes I meant their own pack. And while I realize some dogs don't get along with strange dogs when they are older, I do not believe it is a hopeless cause. I believe if they don't get along with other dogs when they are older it is usually because 1) they were taken from their own pack too early or 2) they never were properly socialized. In a dogs own pack in the wild, socialization with outside packs rarely occurs because their is the inborn trait to defend territory for food and basic necessities in life. This is not the case with our domesticated canines. Domesticated canines should be highly socialized in order to fit into society in an acceptable and tolerable way.

I have not come across a dog that was properly socialized that did not deal reasonably well with other dogs. I am not saying it doesn't happen, I just think it is in the minority.

If my memory serves me correctly, Drake does have some socialization issues but I believe Souraya and Andrew have done an excellent job correcting the situation.

DoggiesAreTheBest
01-22-2003, 10:06 AM
I want to thank everyone for their input. I reaaly appreciate it. We still alot of thinking to do and Pet Talk will certainly be ther first to know when we make our decision.

Candy, you are right. Drake did have problems with other dogs. We have been working with him and a trainer/behaviorist to correct it. He has made progress beyond our wildest dreams! We thought we had socialized him enough, but he just needed more interaction with his own species. We also suspect that he was taken away from his pack too early.

lovemyshiba
01-22-2003, 08:25 PM
I don't have any new advice, but I want to wish you luck!! Kito was a very stubborn dog (many shibas are), and we were scared to death to bring in another dog with him, but we wanted one. When we went to the beagle rescue, we were allowed to take Abbey for the weekend to see if they would get along. The first night was rough, a lot of barking and she was a little upset, but the next day, they started playing tug of war with a rope toy, and they have been wonderful since. They've had a few minor scuffles, but no one has been injured seriously. They are separated when they are fed, but that's because Abbey eats very fast, and Kito takes his good old time. Other than that, they are together all the time, and it makes me so happy.

Good luck in finding the right addition--I know you will do wonderfully with another dog.

anna_66
01-22-2003, 09:33 PM
Don't know if you remember, but before Huney came along we never thought we'd want or even have room for another dog (and the thoughts of how Angus would act waivered our decision too). But with the proper introduction....it all went off without a hitch!
Good Luck Souraya!

Sudilar
01-22-2003, 10:23 PM
I agree with what everyone has said. In my experience, it is easy to love two dogs just as much, and not play favorites. They each have their own individual personalities. I also think a female puppy would probably be best. How about fostering, with option to adopt the pup you wish to add to the family. Some rescues allow that. Good luck in your decision.