PDA

View Full Version : Any Great Dog Poems out there?

jackiesdaisy1935
02-06-2001, 04:29 PM
I found this one, maybe everyone knows it!

The Creation
When God had made the earth and sky
the flowers and the trees,
He then made all the animals
the fish, the birds and bees.

And when at last He'd finished
not one was quite the same.
He said, "I'll walk this world of mine
and give each one a name."

And so He traveled far and wide
and everywhere He went,
a little creature followed Him
until it's strength was spent.

When all were named upon the earth
and in the sky and sea,
the little creature said, "Dear Lord,
there's not one left for me."

Kindly the Father said to him,
"I've left you to the end.
I've turned my own name back to front
and called you dog, My friend."
Author Unknown

Daisy's Mom
02-06-2001, 04:32 PM
I've never heard that poem but I love it!!!! I'll be on the lookout for some others.

tatsxxx11
02-06-2001, 04:48 PM
Meant to post this at Christmas, but misplaced it. Not a poem really, but I love it, and think it's fitting all year long.

Hear our humble prayer, Oh God
for our friends the animals,
especially for animals who are suffering;
for any that are hunted or lost
or deserted or frightened or hungry;
for all that must be put to death.
We entreat for them all Thy mercy and pity.
And for those who deal with them,
we ask a heart of compassion
and gentle hands and kindly words.
Make us, ourselves, to be true friends
to animals and so to share
the blessings of the merciful.

Albert Schweitzer

RachelJ
02-06-2001, 08:35 PM
I've submitted the poem called My Baggage previously (It's in the Rescue category in Cinder's tales - page 2)and is the one I identify with Tucker. But I do have one that I identify with Hannah as well. It is called Just My Dog. I don't know the author.

She's just my dog.
She is my other eyes that can see above the clouds;
My other ears that hear above the winds.
She is the part of me that can reach out into the seas.
She has told me a thousand times over that I am the reason for being,
By the way she rests against my leg,
By the way she thumps her tail at my smallest smile,
By the way she shows her hurt when I leave without taking her.
When I am wrong, she is delighted to forgive.
When I am angry, she clowns to make me smile.
When I am happy, she is joy abound.
When I am a fool, she ignores it.
When I succeed, she brags.
Without her, I am only another person.
With her, I am all powerful.
She has promised to wait for me...whenever..
in case I need her,
and I expect I will...As I always have.
She is my dog.

[This message has been edited by RachelJ (edited February 06, 2001).]

RachelJ
02-06-2001, 08:42 PM
This one is for Teena's sister and Karen Israel's friend and all others who have had to go through....

The Last Battle

If it should be that I grow frail and weak
And pain should keep me from my sleep,
Then you do what must be done,
For this - the last battle - can't be won.
You will be sad I understand,
But don't let grief then stay your hand,
For on this day, more than the rest,
Your love and friendship must stand the test.
We have had so many happy years,
You wouldn't want me to suffer so.
When the time comes, pleaase let me go.
Take me to where my needs they'll tend,
Only stay with me till the end
And hold me firm and speak to me
Until my eyes no longer see.
I know in time you will agree
It is a kindness you do to me.
Although my tail its last has waved,
From pain and suffering I have been saved.
Don't grieve that it must be you
Who has to decide this thing to do;
We been so close - we two - these years,
Don't let your heart hold any tears.

Author unknown.

Pam
02-06-2001, 08:50 PM
Oh Rachel that is beautiful. I am going to print it out for myself. I have had to take 3 our of my 4 dogs on "that" trip. What a wrenching experience but these words are so beautiful. Wish I'd had them then!

RachelJ
02-06-2001, 09:14 PM
We are all familiar the story of the Rainbow Bridge, but have you seen this one written by Darla Fonseca?

When a person who has given tirelessly and made it their life's work to save and succor abandoned animals and find them happy homes comes to the bridge, first one animal will stop and look into the distance, then more and more will look up and watch. For this is a person all the animals know about. As they have waited for their loved one(s), they have told the story of their rescue from loneliness, neglect and impending death, and the wonderful people who helped them until a special loved one could be found. Oh special friend of animals, you have been spotted, and all the dogs and other animal friends will run over the fields to thank the person who has enabled so many to have had good lives and memories. Then, they will all walk to the gate of St. Peter and say, "This is a person whose name is surely entered on the roll once for each of us whose life was changed." Then those friends who will be forever together step forward and, to the sound of great rejoicing from all the animals, cross the bridge together.

RachelJ
02-06-2001, 09:40 PM
"I explained to St Peter
I'd rather stay here
Outside the pearly gate.
I won't be a nuisance,
I won't even bark,
I'll be very patient and wait.
I'll be here chewing on a celestial bone,
No matter how long you may be.
I'd miss you so much if I went in alone,
It wouldn't be heaven for me."

author unknown

Angels3
02-06-2001, 09:47 PM
Thank you so much everyone who's posted a poem or a piece of prose so far. They are all so beautiful & will be wonderful to keep & pass on to others. I hope there are more contributions to come!
Good on you, jackiesdaisy for starting this topic.

Stenograsaurus
02-07-2001, 09:46 AM
The following website has many poems on it. Some are happy, some are sad. The one called My Name is Sam is very sad. It deals with the importance of spaying and neutering to prevent the overpopulation of these lovely animals.
http://communities.msn.com/ForLoveofRescue&naventryid=118

[This message has been edited by Stenograsaurus (edited February 07, 2001).]

jackiesdaisy1935
02-07-2001, 10:26 AM
These are just wonderful, I will save all of them. Stenograsaurus that is a great site with wonderful poems. Since losing Kona in October these poems are very comforting.

wolflady
02-07-2001, 12:23 PM
A DOG'S PRAYER
By Beth Norman Harris

Treat me kindly, my beloved master, for no heart in all the world is more grateful for kindness than the loving heart of me.

Do not break my spirit with a stick, for though I should lick your hand between the blows, your patience and understanding will more quickly teach me the things you would have me do.

Speak to me often, for your voice is the world's sweetest music, as you must know by the fierce wagging of my tail when your footsteps falls upon my waiting ear.

When it is cold and wet, please take me inside, for I am now a domesticated animal, no longer used to bitter elements. And I ask no greater glory than the privilege of sitting at your feet beside the hearth. Though had you no home, I would rather follow you through ice and snow than rest upon the softest pillow in the warmest home in all the land, for you are my god and I am your devoted worshiper.

Keep my pan filled with fresh water, for although I should not reproach you were it dry, I cannot tell you when I suffer thirst. Feed me clean food, that I may stay well, to romp and play and do your bidding, to walk by your side, and stand ready, willing and able to protect you with my life should your life be in danger.

And, beloved master, should the great Master see fit to deprive me of my health, do not turn me away from you. Rather hold me gently in your arms as skilled hands grant me the merciful boon of eternal rest--and I will leave you knowing with the last breath I drew, my fate was ever safest in your hands.

wolflady
02-07-2001, 12:25 PM
Here's another neat one... http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

Just A Dog
Don't ever call him, "just a dog."
Who haven't the eyes to see
That I belong to him as much
As he belongs to me
God must have had His reasons
For making the likes of him
And I humbly hope with all my heart
...that I was one of them
The years have dulled his russet color
And his vision is getting dim
And he walks with a limp when the days are cold
Cause the dampness gets to him
He's not as young as he used to be
And his whiskers are frosted white
But he wags his tail as if to say
"You see, I'm still alright."
I cut his food in bite size chunks
And he gives me a toothless grin
Trusting in my love for him
Whatever shape he's in
He has accepted growing old
The way men cannot do
And I'm not ashamed to say he's taught
Me more than a thing or two
So, don't ever call him "just a dog"
Unless you are prepared
To match his steadfast loyalty
To care the way he's cared
For many the sad offenses
Committed in love's name
And how many times it takes a dog
...to put a man to shame!!!!

jackiesdaisy1935
02-07-2001, 04:33 PM
From Daisy and Perry (the Terrier Terrors)

I am a little terrier dog
As feisty as can be.
So don't you come in to my yard
And don't you mess with me?

I know my rights, I have my ways,
I'm always on the go
(Not like some dogs I could mention
Who are lazy, fat and slow).

Devoted to my owners
And of that there is no doubt,
But strangers? I may let them in -
But I won't let them out

I'm a cocky little terrier dog
As you can plainly see,
But if you want a loving friend..that's me

From Showdog Magazine
If you would like to see the Terrier Terrors http://schnauzerville.homestead.com If you do please sign our guest book, we would love that.

[This message has been edited by jackiesdaisy1935 (edited February 07, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by jackiesdaisy1935 (edited February 07, 2001).]

Stenograsaurus
02-08-2001, 09:38 AM
Jackiedaisy,
Yeah, I know. That website has comforted me also. I found a stray in September and a lot of the poems makes me think of her. I thank God every day for her. She really helped me out when dealing with Kilo's death. I had to put him down on January 10th. The following website had really helped me in the grieving. Maybe it can help you too. There is a whole section devoted to bereavement.
The website is http://www.geocities.com/~olelo/shelties/untilwemeetagain.html

Originally posted by jackiesdaisy1935:
These are just wonderful, I will save all of them. Stenograsaurus that is a great site with wonderful poems. Since losing Kona in October these poems are very comforting.

jackiesdaisy1935
02-08-2001, 01:58 PM
Thanks Stenograsaurus that web site is just wonderful. I'm really glad that you posted it. Sorry to hear you lost Kilo in Jan, what kind of dog was he?

Stenograsaurus
02-08-2001, 04:37 PM
This will be a long story. Kilo was a Rottweiller. We had him for 7 1/2 years. He would have been 8 on April 21st. He had gotten loose on the 7th and went after a neighbor. Fortunately she had a winter coat on and he only ripped her coat, not her skin. I was very surprised that he went out of our yard after someone. He has bitten at people who have came into our home, but never went after anyone before. He was never trained to attack or provoked to attack in any way. He was always such a great family dog. I was always under the belief that there are no bad dogs out there, just bad owners. I asked the Vet what we could have possibly done wrong with him and they said nothing. They knew how good we treated him. They said he was just being over protective. Unfortunately, the neighborhood isn't so understanding. I was afraid that if we kept him, they would find a way to retaliate. I couldn't handle it if anyone ever did anything to hurt him, so my husband and I decided that it would be best to put him down peacefully. We didn't want to risk anyone hurting him and we couldn't take the chance of him hurting a child the next time. I don't know if he ever would. He was great with my four year old. Then again, I never thought he would go after anyone either. It didn't make it any easier though. It still rips my heart out when I think of him. Anyway, that's what happened. I still have a Siberian Husky (Dakota) and a Shepherd mix (Patience). They help me with the grieving. I don't have to tell you how much it hurts to lose a member of your family. So what kind of dog was Kona? How old? How long did you have her?

Originally posted by jackiesdaisy1935:
Thanks Stenograsaurus that web site is just wonderful. I'm really glad that you posted it. Sorry to hear you lost Kilo in Jan, what kind of dog was he?

jackiesdaisy1935
02-08-2001, 05:00 PM
Hi Sten, Im calling you that because I can't remember the spelling. I am so sorry about Kilo, you are right there is no such thing as a bad dog. He was just protecting his family. It's a shame you had to do that, but I understand how people are and they could do something to him which would really hurt.
Our son had a Rottweiller and he was the biggest baby, his name was Bear. He was that way, he had never hurt anyone, but they had to be very careful with new company etc. He didn't want anyone around his family. When our son and family went on vacation, we would go up and take care of him. He would lay his head on my lap, we really loved him.
Unfortunately he died of cancer and he was only 8 years old. This was a while back.
We had Kona who was a Schnauzer for fourteen years. She was so sick that we had to bring her in to the Vet, it was the most difficult thing I have ever done. We kept putting it off and putting it off and she was getting in more pain and we just had to let her go.
I'm glad you have your two other dogs to keep you company. I don't know how to put photos on this contraption, but if you would like to see our Schnauzers I made up a webpage, not professional, just like home. http://schnauzerville.homestead.com
guess you can tell how proud I am of them
Jackie

Stenograsaurus
02-09-2001, 07:59 PM
Jackie, Your dogs are so cute. Thanks for posting it.
Kilo was our baby too. For the last two winters, he had arthritis pretty bad. We gave him buffered aspirin, which helped. I think he also had cancer. I used to massage him every morning before getting up. I heard that was good for the arthritis. I felt a couple of lumps on his side which were never there before. It's a shame that these dogs don't live long.
Again, I'm sorry about Kona, but you have to know that she's better off now. She's running pain free in that big field and I'm sure she'll be waiting for you at the bridge. My four year old keeps asking me when I am going to take her to the big field that Kilo plays in. She brings me toy balls and says that Kilo dropped them down from heaven for me. It's cute and sad.
I liked your homepage. We have the same comforter. Your dogs look like they have a lovely home.

jackiesdaisy1935
02-09-2001, 08:58 PM
Hi Sten: Who knows maybe Kilo and Kona are up there in that big field playing together.
Your little girl sounds really cute and she must have loved Kilo very much, what a nice way for her to think about Kilo dropping the balls down from heaven for her. That is so nice.

goldenR.luvr33
02-10-2001, 07:30 PM
I know Boxerlover has a realy good peom about her and her Boxer Nikki. IF your out there Boxerlover Post it!! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

ownerof3dogs
02-11-2001, 12:10 PM
this is not really a poem but here it is anyway:

Money will buy you a pretty good dog, but it won't buy the wag of his tail.

-Henery Wheeler Shaw-