PDA

View Full Version : Do your dogs know their toys by name?

manda99
01-18-2003, 09:41 PM
This may have been discussed before but I'm bringing it up again because today, for the first time, when I said "Where's your rope? Get your ropie." to Smokey he brought me one of his rope toys. Of course we were just playing with it like 2 minutes before so maybe he just got the last one we were playing with... but still. I was impressed. His mom knows what "Get your ropie" means but his dad doesn't get it.

So, how about your dogs? What toys do they know by name & will they always retrieve the one you ask for?

LoudLou
01-18-2003, 09:48 PM
Louie has a rope toy named "Tug", he'll bring that and he knows "Elmo". He has many Tickle Me Elmo's and will bring one when asked.......of course this is all provided that he can't find any of the Tennis Balls and that there isn't something better going on.:rolleyes:

rachiefriend
01-19-2003, 08:52 AM
Che Che-Stuffed Cat
Rope-Rope toy
Tuggy-Those tug a war toys
Hot dog-Stuffed hot dog

Of course these are only Elly and Rocky's toys. Daisy and Lucky are "above" toys (so they say lol) and Molly doesn't really like doggie toys.

-Ravhel

Jessica12345
01-19-2003, 11:32 AM
Jewels knows when we tell her to go get her piggy she will even go upstairs, find it, and bring it back down to us!
But the REALLY AMAZING THING is...
she knows her pink piggy from her yellow piggy! they are the exact same thing just in different colors! arent dogs colorblind?????????????????????????:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

ownerof3dogs
01-24-2003, 08:10 PM
Hercules knows the names of almost all of his toys. I love playing games with him using his toy's names. Like: go get ___he goes and looks for it and brings it to me.

Cincy'sMom
01-25-2003, 05:45 PM
Sadie and Cincy are sually pretty good at bringin you what you ask for...sometimes you'll get a tennis ball instead of a basketball, or a stuffed piggy instead of the frog, but overall, they are pretty good.

My mom thought is was really funy when I asked Sadie to take her Frog upstairs with her and she did! Seems I wasn't so good at picking up my toys when I was little!

JRTLover
01-25-2003, 10:20 PM
My JRT knows "hand" (to put the ball in my hand) "Handle"( to put the rope handle in my hand) Frisbie ( to go get the frisbie) Purple (to get his favorite toy) and Raw (to go get his bone)

primabella
01-26-2003, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by Jessica12345
Jewels knows when we tell her to go get her piggy she will even go upstairs, find it, and bring it back down to us!
But the REALLY AMAZING THING is...
she knows her pink piggy from her yellow piggy! they are the exact same thing just in different colors! arent dogs colorblind?????????????????????????:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

i saw on TV that they are not colorblind, they just see certain colors better or bighter than the others. green is the strongest color to them and brown too.

mickey knows mr. bigglesworth (his absolute favorite toy! he drags him EVERYWHERE!). he doesn't know his other toys by name yet but i hope he does, that's really cool. and saves you a lot of energy of getting up to get the toy yourself. ;)

lovemyshiba
01-30-2003, 12:01 PM
Abbey and Kito know the basics--ball, kong, and bone. When they had their stuffies (for all of 2 days) we would say "go get your baby" and they would come back with the stuffies. I learned if from my aunt whose lhasa Petey has a "baby", and he loves it so much!!

snowpw
02-01-2003, 10:08 PM
You know my dog is an assistance when i want to play? When i say "bring me my game boy advance" he really push that thing toward me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek: :D :D

Kfamr
02-01-2003, 10:26 PM
Simba knows Purple Bunny by name. I say "Go find purple bunny!" and he gets it.

wolf_Q
02-01-2003, 10:37 PM
Hmm...I don't know, I've never tried. Nebo is great at fetching things, but I've never told him specific items to fetch. Might be worth a try! :D

clgravit
02-15-2003, 11:05 AM
My parents dog Kalle Sue is a border collie and she knows what everyone of her toys are. She has about ten or twelve and can pick out the right one each time! She has about three different balls and even knows how to pick the right one ( they are all different textures and have a specific name) !:D

AmylovesMisty
02-18-2003, 07:41 PM
Misty knows "Go get your booda"!a BOODA is a rope toy!

liongirl81
02-20-2003, 06:38 PM
MY AMERICAN BULLDOG CRUZ ONLY KNOWS WHEN YOU SAY GO GET THE BALL HE GOES AND GETS HIS BALL OR ANY OTHER TOY IN THE YARD IF HE CAN'T FIND THE BALL, LIKE THE OTHER NIGHT I WAS PLAYING KICK THE BUCKET WITH HIM HE WAS PLAYING WITH A BUCKET HE WAS VERY AMUSED :p

pegwad16
02-20-2003, 06:59 PM
Clifford has this toy that is my dad's old socks with holes in them with a whole bunch of our old socks in it. He goes through a lot of them cause he's tears them up. But whenever we tell him to go get his "sock" and he goes and gets it and brings it to us. He's a very smart dog.

weiner_teddy
03-08-2003, 10:47 PM
My dachshund Teddy loves his toys! He's so spoiled, but yes, he knows some of them by name, he has a squeeky pig, of course named piggy, and a pink raggy looking thing named chicken. Yes, they are original names but its so cute when you tell him to go get piggy, because he knows which one I am talking about.

iceyshiver21
03-08-2003, 11:01 PM
Heres what Weiner_Teddy's dog does when he sees his toys-
http://www.geocities.com/iceyshiver21/ted_being_good.jpg