PDA

View Full Version : Harness'

NoahsMommy
01-17-2003, 01:27 PM
I tried to get Basie on a harness last night for his trip to the vet. He would have nothing of it...he glued himself to the floor and refused to get up.

Any ideas? He hates the carrier (they all do) and I'd love to just use a harness...

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
01-17-2003, 01:36 PM
I think Edwina does the same thing at first. But, if I remember right, all it takes to get her up is something to distract her, like her squirrel friend or something, then she forgets all about it. ;) :)

But you might want to try that. When he's all hunkered down, offer him his favorite toy, or treat, or something that would make him have to stand up to get to. It's probably just because he's not used to it. You might want to try putting it on him when you're just hanging around home so he does get used to it in a familiar setting, then it won't freak him out so much when you put it on him to take him out.

I know way back when, Tubby had a hard time with his leash too, but when he realized it meant he could go outside, he quickly learned to live with it. Now all I have to do is say "Tubby wanna go outside?" as I'm standing by the back door and he'll come running and hold still while I put it on. He doesn't exactly like it, but he tolerates it to get outside.

Good luck and let us know how he does with it. :)

Edwina's Secretary
01-17-2003, 03:09 PM
Edwina tried that trick...flatter than a pancake...but since I am bigger than her.....

I really recommend the walking harness rather than a traditional harness. It is easier to get on and harder to get off (for her!)

Like Tubby, Edwina is now conditioned to the harness as the key to going outside and will sit on it if I don't get the message quickly enough.

NoahsMommy
01-17-2003, 03:14 PM
Would you mind posting a picture of Edwina in her walking harness? So I can see if that's the one we have or not.

Thanks!! :)

BastetsMum
01-17-2003, 03:17 PM
I put the harness on bastet at home first off so she could get used to it. She sat flat as a pancake for an hour. But I just ignored her and eventually she got up and walked around with it on. She gets all excited now when I clip the lead on because she knows she can go outside and have a game on the funny green carpet! I would suggest in the quieter moments - when Bass is not going to vets to put it on and let him sort it out.

All Creatures Great And Small
01-18-2003, 12:05 AM
Yes, I'd like to know what the walking harness is too - I wonder if it's different than the one I have. My kitty didn't like it the first time either, but like T&P's mom said, he tolerates it in order to get outside. He squirms around a lot while I'm putting it on, but then it's OK.

Edwina's Secretary
01-18-2003, 10:27 AM
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid21/pf5a204c6154c500924138dd6e432b550/fdb08f3c.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid21/pb0dfbbc9897993140b7ed701f6b2abf3/fdb08f18.jpg

All Creatures Great And Small
01-18-2003, 10:36 AM
Interesting! That's not at all like the one I have; mine is actually a harness for a small dog, made of the nylon collar material. We call the cat "Houdini of the Harness", because he can somehow wriggle out of it if left unattended for a few minutes. I'm going to check into getting a walking harness for him for this summer. Thanks for posting the pics!

Edwina's Secretary
01-18-2003, 10:49 AM
Here's where I ordered it...Harness (http://www.hdw-inc.com/frameset.htm)

RussianBlueKitty03
01-18-2003, 10:56 AM
a harness on a cat???? Something new everyday.....

ChrisH
01-18-2003, 01:55 PM
I do have a harness for Ebby. When I got her I was told her last owner used one, but I haven`t got around to trying her with the one I have yet. So I am finding this thread telling of your knowlege and experience of them very interesting :)

RussianBlueKitty03
01-18-2003, 02:15 PM
poor cats....

smokey the elder
01-19-2003, 08:58 AM
A long time ago I tried to leash train Mobius. She let me put the harness on her, then she'd walk along in the apartment dragging the leash. Well, the big day came: a field test!:D Well, we put Moby on the grass, and she went "Yuck!" and proceeded to climb onto Keith's back. So much for that! She never tries to get out. Now I know why!

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
01-19-2003, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by RussianBlueKitty03
poor cats....

Just curious as to why you say that RBK. Would you rather that we let them run free outside without a leash? Would that make you say "lucky cats"?

Since you're rather new here, and we don't know what your general ideas and philosophies are, I was just wondering where you were coming from. :)

Russian Blue
01-20-2003, 10:12 AM
Actually, harnesses can be great or horrible depending on how the kitty perceives it.

In my experience, my family Siamese cat looked at the harness and laughed at it! Now with Nakita, she takes to it quite well and we will be using it when we take her to the cottage in the summer.

Also, many friends have found their kitty's absolutely adore them! They sometimes even bring the leash to the owner's feet begging to be walked like a dog. Also, leash training is great if you have a cat that has too much energy to be stuck indoors and can use some of this energy up during exploring the great outdoors.

The best harness I found was a piece of material that wrapped around the body of the cat (between the front and back legs). Therefore, nothing is on the neck and there is not chance of the cat hurting itself. Simple idea but it works!

;)

HayleyRosie
01-21-2003, 08:42 AM
Hayley has a harness but she has not had it on outside yet. I don't think she likes the snow and we have a LOT right now. We will have it until May.

-Panther-
01-21-2003, 06:21 PM
All my cats go outside only wearing a harness.

Narri is a big cat, he wears a harness that is made for small dogs:

http://photo.jippii.fi/fi/image//data/photo/jippii.fi/w/p/wp82fi/1043193154259.jpeg

Napiainen prefers a collar, she just isn't comfortable in a harness:

http://photo.jippii.fi/fi/image//data/photo/jippii.fi/w/p/wp82fi/1043193148943.jpeg

That harness Edwina is wearing looks really nice! :)