PDA

View Full Version : Had to say Goodbye twice today :(

aly
01-16-2003, 09:03 PM
Since this is about a dog and a cat, I am just putting this in General.

It seems the people at work have been keeping this from me because they knew I'd freak out. A dear little dog so close to my heart is being put down for aggression problems. He doesn't like men so my boss took him to get evaluated by a behaviorist and during the test, he went after her too. We were really shocked because he's never gone after a woman. And with the women he knows, he's the biggest, sweetest baby in the world. He knows my boss and I really well and we did a few tests with him and he would not go after either of us at all. In fact, he looked at us like we were stupid for thinking he would do anything to us. I would totally take him in a heartbeat but he doesn't get along with other animals very well :( I don't know when they are going to put him down. I'm afraid to ask. I said bye to him tonight and I haven't stopped crying yet. He's so young and healthy. And he just weighs 7 lbs :( I always walk around work carrying him like a baby and he'll put his paws over his eyes when I pet him. It might sound funny but its so cute. I dont really know how to explain it except he acts like a human baby. The first few days when he came in a couple months ago, I carried him around in my shirt because he was so scared. My heart is broken :(

One of the kittens I rescued a few months ago has been having health problems. She's at the vet on fluids once again. I've posted pics of her here before. She was the little gray and white one named Jolie. Since I stopped fostering her and she's been up for adoption at my work, I guess it is their decision on what to do. I read a note that said they are having a meeting to see if she needs to be put down. I'm going to call the vet tomorrow though and possibly just adopt her if she has quality of life. She's not even 4 months old yet :( :( What an awful life she's had so far.

These poor babies just don't deserve this. I was thinking about posting pictures of them but I don't want to make you guys as sad as I am. I am going to go hug my babies now and try to cry myself to sleep :(

iceyshiver21
01-16-2003, 09:07 PM
Ohhhh....i just can't stand it when things like that happin...:(

delidog
01-16-2003, 09:11 PM
Oh Dear Aly,
I am sooo sorry to hear this...of these and so many others....

I was at the humane society the other day...and a gentleman volunteer offered to take and foster a little aaaaaaAussie/shep. mix that I was playing with...

the lady he was talking to said
" no you don't want that one"
she would say no more in my earshot...
so she said that she is taking him to be re-evaluated...he was found as a stray...doesn't seem to like other dogs...was all i heard.....
i feel that she put a death sentence on this poor little guy and he didn't do anything...hes' probably scared more than anything...like your little guy....
shelters try sssssooooo hard....but that is such a tough job....

I hope that all works out for those 2 little ones...and ALL the others like them...

sammi
01-16-2003, 09:54 PM
Aly, It is so heartbreaking to hear how sad you feel. You have given so many animals a second chance of finding a home - and all the ones you have given love to - keep thinking of that. I hope you can get some rest tonight.

Sudilar
01-16-2003, 10:08 PM
I especially know how heartbroken you are. I hope that something can be done for them. You said that the little dog is fearful. Is he a fear biter? Is that his problem? He feels safe with you and your boss.
Poor little kitty. I hope the vet finds that Jolie doesn't need to be put down.

Try to sleep, aly. Your worries will not change anything. You need your rest so you don't get sick. {hugs}

Karen
01-16-2003, 10:16 PM
Both these animals have been blessed more than so many who have gone before - they have known you, and so have known what love and care are all about. I would give you a big hug if I could, but sometimes our arms just aren't long enough. Lather your animals with love and tummy rubs, and be sure to tell Shiloh we know she'll take good care of you.

Nomilynn
01-17-2003, 12:29 AM
Aly, I'm sorry you have to go through that.. it's heartbreaking to see an animal that you just know has a chance, but you can't do anything about it. :( I hope that everything turns out for the best.

((((hugs))))

lbaker
01-17-2003, 06:13 AM
Aly, I haven't been able to post much lately (many personal problems I will discuss later) but had to ditto Karen's remark. These babes are blessed to have known you and will have some happy, loved moments to remember at the Bridge (if that's what it comes to). I think of you (and all of you) often and will try to explain later. Sammi, I will pm you later if it comes to that.
Laurie:(

RockyRoad
01-17-2003, 06:52 AM
Oh Aly I am so sorry. Just remember, they are looking down on you from the RB, smiling at you. Hope everything turns out well. God bless.

lynnestankard
01-17-2003, 07:02 AM
Oh Aly - my heart aches for you - and those poor furkids too all I can do is send {{Hugs}} http://pages.prodigy.net/rogerlori1/emoticons/smileyhug.gif

Lynne

sammi
01-17-2003, 02:00 PM
I think it's about time for another Texas Pet Talk Mtg.! I promise to be in a better mood!

primabella
01-17-2003, 02:47 PM
awww, aly! :(
{{HuGs}}
feel better. :(

ChrisH
01-17-2003, 04:00 PM
oh, aly, it is so heartbreakingly sad, I am so sorry :( I hope you are able to adopt the little kittie.
Hugs
Chris

slleipnir
01-17-2003, 04:24 PM
Aww, thats so sad :[ I'm sorry, hope you feel better :[

aly
01-17-2003, 05:23 PM
Guys, I('m on a short break from work but PLEASE KEEP PRAYING. There may be hope for both Harley and Jolie. Its looking like I will most likely be taking in Jolie. And a co-worker and I are hard at work with Dachshund rescue trying to find an alternative for little Harley boy. In the meantime, he's getting spoiled to death (he had Jack in the Box for lunch today :) ). I will pick up Jolie from the vet tomorrow most likely. Thanks for the prayers. I think they are working!!! The Harley situation may or may not work out so please pray hard :(

Gosh, I have an awful migraine. I'll update more when I know.

sammi
01-17-2003, 05:27 PM
Double prayers are being sent. You take care of yourself Aly.

Cataholic
01-17-2003, 06:02 PM
We are all praying here, Aly...good wishes coming your way.

AmberLee
01-17-2003, 09:58 PM
{{{Aly, Harley, and Jolie}}}

Prayers for the three of you are ongoing here. Take care of yourself, too, dear!

Sudilar
01-17-2003, 10:44 PM
Glad about Jolie. Still praying for Harley.

aly
01-17-2003, 11:33 PM
I'm losing hope :( As my co-worker said, "It feels like a sinking ship". I'm going to keep trying up until the very last second though. :( :( :( :(

Jolie won't be ready to leave the vet until Monday. She was showing signs of neurological damage again but they found she was very low on potassium. She also caught a URI and could barely breathe. The vet techs are in love with her and she is in very good hands.

sammi
01-18-2003, 01:08 AM
Don't give up yet. More prayers and positive thoughts on the way. I hope Harley won't be PTS ...... but if he it happens the last few days he has had a spoiled life and loved so much.

krazyaboutkatz
01-18-2003, 02:23 AM
Aly, prayers are going out to Harley and Jolie. I'm so glad that you can adopt Jolie. I also hope that her health improves so she can live a long and happy life with you. I sure hope that Harley will be able to find a permanent home as well. {{{HUGS}}}

aly
01-18-2003, 12:54 PM
I'm sorry to say that Harley will be going to the Bridge before Tuesday :( I got sent home from work early today becaue I am not handling this well at all. ..... I can't talk about it right now.

Jolie won't be PTS but her health might be taking her. I saw her today and she was not doing well. Please pray for her ..

:( sorry, I have to go try to pull myself togeher.

Karen
01-18-2003, 12:56 PM
Remember, dear Aly, you cannot save them all, but you can love them all while you can.

Big-as-Texas hugs to you.

Sudilar
01-18-2003, 01:35 PM
Oh, and how hard we try to save them all.....
Dear aly, for the time they've known you, they have received the love of their lifetimes. Know that. Even though it hurts, you may have to let them go. They will wait for you at the Bridge where Wolf, Avalanche, and Gaylord are waiting and all the rest of our dearly beloved furbabies. They will be in good company, without pain and free to run again in happiness. Hang in there, aly, we are with you.
I am still praying because there is still hope. Miracles do happen. We see it all the time. {{{HUG}}}

sammi
01-18-2003, 02:49 PM
Aly, I am sorry for your sorrow today. Will continue praying.

mugsy
01-18-2003, 07:16 PM
Aly, I'm so sorry. You will be in our thoughts and prayers as well as Harley and Jolie. You're like me, you want to save them all and when you can't it just kills you. Again, I'm sorry you have to go through this.

aly
01-18-2003, 10:22 PM
IO'm still crying :( Can anyone give me any advice to get over this? I guess I haven't lost very many pets, and when I did, it was because of old age. I know he's not really mine but its hurting so bad. I just can't grasp it because he's so young and healthy and I want to know what caused his behavior problems. I want to know if his issues were caused by awful humans. If so, I want those people to suffer miserably. I want them to have to feel at least a fraction of the pain I'm feeling.

I've had to go through animals being euthanized at my old job but a few of them I was able to stop. The ones I coudln't stop I uusally didn't find out until after the fact. Its really hard to know so long before it happens and just keep grieving about it and grieving about it.

mugsy
01-19-2003, 12:20 AM
All I can say is that the loss gets easier to handle with time, but it never gets easier to let them go. I wish I could help and take the little guy and work with him. Please know that you're in our thoughts.

HoRsELUvR
01-19-2003, 07:54 AM
im sorry:( .I wish something could be done.

Sudilar
01-19-2003, 05:00 PM
Is there absolutely no hope for Harley? Is he so impossibly aggressive? No behaviorist can help him? When my almost first foster, Petey, tried to attack my face, the rescue turned him over to a behaviorist to try to train him or if not, pts. Turns out Petey is in training as a canine cop in a Chicago suburb now.
Is there no hope of a pardon for him?

aly
01-19-2003, 08:53 PM
I was told (gently) that there was absolutely nothing I can do about it. They are scared of liability. I was begging for a second opinion from another behaviorist and all sorts of stuff but they won't let it happen :(

mugsy
01-19-2003, 08:57 PM
Could you give me the phone number and see if I could convince them that I would take him and work with him and sign a letter releasing them of all liability?

aly
01-21-2003, 12:15 AM
Thanks so much mugsy, thats so sweet of you... but I have wonderful news!!!!! I was at work this morning and pretty much decided I needed to give up and accept the fact of what was going to happen to Harley. Then I went in and looked at him and I realized that he was still alive and he still did have a chance. SO after many phone calls to everyone under the sun, a co-worker and I have finallllllllllly got the Pres. of the Board to allow Harley into rescue. And the rescue woman was already there today and saw his problems right away, but also saw his sweet side. She already has a behavior modification program set up for him and she's so in love with him already. She just took in 3 rescues this week so she'll come get him in a couple weeks. I AM SO HAPPY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've gone through so much agony over this and even once thought I was too late ( Friday I went to work and his cage was empty -- that was the WORST WORST WORST thing ever... but turns out he was just moved to a back room). Thanks everyone so much for your support. Your prayers truly have saved Harley's life! Now I can finally put my mind to rest and know that this boy will get the life he deserves! I will post a pic of him tomorrow!!! :)

Jolie still needs prayers :( She is still at the vet but can hopefully come home this week :( :( She is doing a bit better than before but still won't eat on her own.

sammi
01-21-2003, 12:41 AM
:) :) :) HAPPY DAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) :) :)
This is one powerful bunch of people here!!! This really makes me happy for you and Harley.
I hope that Jolie get better too. Wonderful news Aly, you made it happen.;)

krazyaboutkatz
01-21-2003, 12:47 AM
Aly, I'm so glad to hear that Harley is going to be getting a second chance. :) I also hope that he'll be able to find just the right forever home. Prayers are still on the way for sweet little Jolie. I sure hope that she can make a quick recovery so she can come home with you and start her new life. Take care.

ChrisH
01-21-2003, 07:29 AM
:) :) :) Such wonderful, wonderful news!:) :) :)
Prayers continuing for Harley, for him to get through the program and then find his forever home. Also continuing the prayers for Jolie, that she begins eating on her own and gets well. I am sure that once she is home with you and all that love she cannot fail to flourish!

Big hugs and love to you Aly, for everything you have done in helping both sweet furries to have a second chance of life. Bless you.

Chris

Sudilar
01-21-2003, 08:03 AM
Whew!!!! aly!!!!! I am so thrilled that Harley is getting a chance!!!!! (Thank you, too, Molly, for offering to help)! I hope his problems are solved quickly and he finds a wonderful forever home!!

Now our attention must turn to dear Jolie. Prayers that she can get better to come home to you, aly, very soon.

Miracles do happen!! Woohoo!

mugsy
01-21-2003, 11:05 AM
Has anyone noticed how many big and little miracles have happened here on Pet Talk? What a great group of people we have here. Aly, if it hadn't been for your persistance Harley wouldn't have made it this far....thank you for your undying devotion to these animals. Prayers will continue for Jolie too.

Sudilar
01-21-2003, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by mugsy
Has anyone noticed how many big and little miracles have happened here on Pet Talk? What a great group of people we have here

Amazing!!! It is so true!!

aly
01-21-2003, 03:30 PM
I'm still in such shock about this. I truly believe it was a miracle because 2 days ago there seemed to be NO hope at all!

I reread my message from last night. Sorry it didn't make too much sense. There's just so much to the story and I was so tired so I kind of said bits and pieces. Sorry if I lost anyone.

THANKS AGAIN EVERYONE! I will keep you updated on little Jolie :(

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid48/p65266635e45be4cb6405672ba1b839da/fcbf401e.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid48/pbb45b8ef99b09bff0e49b1be77d018ff/fcbf401c.jpg

aly
01-21-2003, 10:12 PM
I'm not going to post on this thread anymore until something final happens because now I don't know what is going to happen at all :( :( My emotions have been all over the place. This is awful. I wish these people would not keep changing their mind.

lynnestankard
01-22-2003, 03:22 AM
Oh Aly - we're all thinking of you and wishing you well.
Harley and Jolie are in my thoughts and prayers - your wonderful work is a god-send to these unwanted furbabies. You can only do so much and then after that it's out of your hands - please, please don't fret, you'll make yourself ill.
{{{{Hugs}}}} across the miles

Lynne

aly
01-25-2003, 10:13 PM
YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!!!!

After so much worrying and wondering, Harley is definately going to rescue TOMORROW!!!!! I am thrilled to death :D :D :D :D

Jolie is doing much better. She is being fostered by a friend of mine who doesnt have a job and can watch her around the clock. The vet said she needed that because she can start dropping fast.

Thanks so much for the prayers. :)

krazyaboutkatz
01-25-2003, 10:17 PM
That's great news Aly. :D I'm so glad that both of them will have a second chance at a great life. :)

RockyRoad
01-25-2003, 10:32 PM
Oh Ally I am so happy for you, Harley, and Jolie! I'm also glad that this sad story turned into a miracle!
Harley is so cute! I'm glad he is going to rescue. And I'm so happy Jolie is doing much better! :D

mugsy
01-25-2003, 11:39 PM
OH how afraid I was to read this, but brought tears of happiness to my eyes when I read the good news! YEAH for Harley and YEAH for Jolie.

Cincy'sMom
01-26-2003, 12:13 AM
Yeah for both furbabies!!! Miracles to happen!!!

Harley has such a sweet face, i am so glad he is going to rescue!!!

Sudilar
01-26-2003, 02:14 PM
Woohoo!!! Excellent news!! I am so glad for both of them. Miracles do happen!!!!

ChrisH
01-26-2003, 05:13 PM
Wonderful, wonderful news!:) :)

lynnestankard
01-26-2003, 05:16 PM
HOORAY!!!!!!!!!

Lynne