PDA

View Full Version : The sad life of Mutley ended today ....

Twisterdog
01-16-2003, 04:45 PM
Sometimes ... well, most of the time lately ... I really don't like people much.

Here is Mutley's story: Mutley was a pit bull. He came to my kennel to be boarded in July. His owner got a new job working out of town, and didn't know what to do with Mutley temporarily until he could work something out. Ok, fine and well.

Well, then, I got a little more of the story from my friend, who happens to be our county animal control officer ... and also Mutley's owner's girlfriend. Seems Mutley was actually a gift from this guy to his former girlfriend. He didn't really want Mutley, and neither did his new girlfriend.

So, Mutley stayed at my kennel since July ..... and today my friend picked him up ... and took him to animal control to be gassed. His crime? Being a present for an ex-girlfriend.

I offered to pay to have him euthanized at the vet. She would not do it.

:(

aly
01-16-2003, 04:50 PM
:( :( :(

Why couldn't he be put up for adoption at the shelter?

manda99
01-16-2003, 04:51 PM
That is so horrible. Poor Mutley :(

tatsxxx11
01-16-2003, 05:02 PM
:mad: :mad: :mad: :(

Cookiebaker
01-16-2003, 05:11 PM
:mad: How very strikingly SAD! :( I hope Mutley will Rest in Peace, and his former owner never do. :mad:

MHMama
01-16-2003, 05:47 PM
People never stop amazing me in their ignorance and cruelty.
Recently a member of our RV club had her 7 year old Lab put to sleep because she decided she wanted a cute little Yorkie. She didn't tell us until after she did it. I asked our Vet about it and he said by state law, even though a Vet may not like it, he has to do it if the owner insists even though there is nothing wrong with the pet. Pets are belongings and nothing else when it comes to such things. How unfair.

captain
01-16-2003, 06:10 PM
Wish there was a law that stated :

"If for no reason other than your insensitivity, vanity, change of mind, change of plan, inability to take responsibility, etc, etc., you have your dog put to sleep, you may NEVER HAVE another animal again"

Then tattoo those people on the forehead, and they are never able to have animals again.

Ideal world .............

:(

I hope the owners of Mutley never have a moments rest.
Rest in Peace sweetheart boy! You are in a place that cares now.

jenluckenbach
01-16-2003, 06:26 PM
Poor baby! The other part that enrages me is that places still "gas" animals. That is so inhumane!

primabella
01-16-2003, 06:48 PM
gasing is just cruel! :mad: yes, what about the shelter? *sigh* how sad :( may mutley rest in peace.

Twisterdog
01-16-2003, 07:59 PM
They would not take Mutley to the humane society, because they were concerned about what would happen to him if he got into the 'wrong hands' ... being a pit bull in this area right now is often a slow, terrible death sentence due to dog fighting.

Karen
01-16-2003, 08:10 PM
How very sad, for Mutley the sadness is over, but I hope he lives on in the conscience of his "owners" forever, as he will in our hearts. Maybe Ma will take him under her wing at the RB, or Aunt Bertha, they were good at caring for unwanted creatures, human or animal alike.

Sudilar
01-16-2003, 09:34 PM
I am outraged!!! A life thrown away! That makes me sick.

slleipnir
01-17-2003, 06:21 AM
Thats so sad :[ I'm sure someone would have adopted them, why just do nothing? :'[

Dixieland Dancer
01-17-2003, 07:56 AM
:mad: :mad: Why couldn't he continue to stay with you until you found him a new home? I don't understand any of this. :( :( :(

Tina
01-17-2003, 08:06 AM
:mad: :mad: That is so terriable I just don't understand people like that. That is just plain cruel what they did.:mad: "They were worried about Mutley ending up in the wrong hands" yeah right I think Mutley was in the wrong hands in the first place:(

ramanth
01-17-2003, 08:56 AM
Twisterdog, I don't know the whole story, but how could this woman be an animal control officer, your friend, and still do this to this poor dog!?

Being an animal control officer, couldn't she have found a rescue? Surely she had leads... I just don't understand. :(

Technically, Kia was a gift from my ex-boyfriend. He signed the adoption papers and paid for her so I guess he could come back claiming that she is his.

NO WAY!

They will have to pry Kia from my cold dead hands. I will never give her up.

When he kicked me out of the apartment he told me to take the dog too because she was an inconvience to his social life.

I constantly fear though that he'll try to take her from me.

It's something I could never live with....

Cisco's Mom
01-17-2003, 09:11 AM
I will never understand the coldness that lie in some people!:(

mugsy
01-17-2003, 09:52 AM
I hope those people rot!! I also wish the same fate on them. I guess I'm not much better than they are with this much hatred in my heart for evil people like them. All of our RB poochies can keep him company.

lovemyshiba
01-17-2003, 11:25 AM
:( that is so sad. I hope he is enjoying life at the Rainbow Bridge. What a terrible waste, that he was in "inconvenience" to them, and now had to be put down. I really feel bad for Mutley, the poor dog......

popcornbird
01-17-2003, 12:37 PM
:mad: :( :mad: :( :mad: :( :mad: :mad: :mad:

OMG! That is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO mean! :mad: What do you mean they thought he might end up in bad hands?!? He was already in the worst hands he could ever be in! That is so mean! I can't imagine how anyone could have the heart to do such a thing! GRRR!

Albea
01-17-2003, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by MHMama
I asked our Vet about it and he said by state law, even though a Vet may not like it, he has to do it if the owner insists even though there is nothing wrong with the pet.

I'm certainly glad that law doesn't apply in Connecticut. Just recently a stupid woman took a healthy 10 year-old Golden to my vet's to be put to sleep because they didn't want her any longer.:mad: :mad: :mad: The vet refused to do it and one of the technicians, knowing that I volunteer for Yankee Golden Retriever Rescue, called me to find out what I could do. In a very short time, the Golden was entered into the system and a member from a town nearby offered to foster her until she was adopted.
I'm very sorry for poor Mutley, who had to go from cruel owners to irresponsible Animal Control Officer. May he have a better life at the other side of the Rainbow.

Twisterdog
01-17-2003, 04:25 PM
Why couldn't he continue to stay with you until you found him a new home? I don't understand any of this.

I tried to suggest that. I asked them to just sign something turning him over to me, and I would find him a new home. They refused. There was nothing more I could do. I had no legal claim to this dog, I was just boarding him. :(

how could this woman be an animal control officer, your friend, and still do this to this poor dog!?

I really don't know. I think maybe she's just gotten hard-hearted, having to euthanize dogs every day. Maybe it means less to her now? And, saying she's my friend is probably not accurate. I have a professional, working relationship with her. I own a boarding kennel and grooming shop in the county, so the organization she works for, county animal control, has a lot of control over me and my business. Also, I was on the board of directors of the humane society for four years and still volunteer. The humane society is also in the county, therefore under her jurisdiction. I deal with her a lot, and we've developed a rather friendly relationship because of it. But, she's not a friend in the sense that I go to lunch with her or chat on the phone with her ... or trust her.