PDA

View Full Version : Red Pandas Poisoned at National Zoo!!!!

delidog
01-14-2003, 07:34 PM
Red Panda Deaths at National Zoo Probed

WASHINGTON (AP) - A panel of experts will look at the deaths of two red pandas at the National Zoo.

The pandas died after rat poison pellets were buried in their yard. This was the first time the zoo had used the pellets, which emit toxic fumes, in an animal exhibit. The pellets had been used in open areas of the zoo.

A preliminary necropsy - an animal autopsy - found no ``definite or clear indication of a connection'' between the pellets and the pandas' deaths, but detailed tests are planned, zoo spokesman Robert Hoage said.

The panel will consist of some Smithsonian Institution experts, as well as people from outside the organization.

The endangered animals were found dead in their yard less than 24 hours after the pellets were buried.

Three zoo employees who went inside the animals' yard experienced headaches, nausea and diarrhea and were treated at a hospital and released.

Red pandas are unrelated to the popular Chinese giant pandas.

On the Net:

National Zoo: http://natzoo.si.edu/

I just saw this......How terrible...we were there and saw them last March!!!!!
Just breaks my heart!!

I just don't know how this could have happened!!!

:( :confused: :( :confused: :(

AmberLee
01-14-2003, 07:54 PM
What a tragedy. :( :(

Soledad
01-14-2003, 08:00 PM
That's really horrible. I love red pandas!

ramanth
01-15-2003, 10:48 AM
The pandas died after rat poison pellets were buried in their yard. This was the first time the zoo had used the pellets, which emit toxic fumes, in an animal exhibit. The pellets had been used in open areas of the zoo.

The zoo buried the poison in their enclosure!?!? That's the way I interpreted it.

Who in their right mind would do that!?!?!

Those idiots!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :( :( :(

lbaker
01-15-2003, 12:13 PM
The pellets weren't in the Panda enclosure, they were buried in an open area not confining any animals but where large rat burrows had been discovered. they are investigating both the regular exterminators and the relatively new outside contractors. The zoo officials interviewed on our local tv stations were crying over it while being interviewed.

delidog
01-15-2003, 08:32 PM
Thanks lBaker...I know when we were there...that zoo was immaculate...and the animals had such great care.....
I hope they find what happened so no more animals suffer...