PDA

View Full Version : how do you know?

primabella
01-14-2003, 02:11 PM
i was just curious to know how your dog lets you know he has to go out? mickey sits in front of the door, but i wish he'de let us know what he has to do. sometimes we just can't find him and he's sitting in front of the door. :rolleyes:

thanks! :)

Andie
01-14-2003, 02:17 PM
Bull is like Mickey, he just goes and lays by the back door. Katie will at least bark at the back door to let us know.

Dakota's Mommy
01-14-2003, 02:26 PM
Destiny usually goes over to the door and looks back and forth between us and the door. She might whine, but that's all she really does. Dakota will do whatever she has to. She'll whine, she'll talk back, she'll bark, she'll stand anywhere near us making any noise she can to get our attention that she wants out NOW! She'll even come and lick our faces while we're sleeping or lay her head on us just enough to try to take us up or if bump our arms, asleep or awake, to try to get us up so she can get us to the door! She's a goof! She's one though who wants out as much as possible though so she's learned lots of tricks!

ParNone
01-14-2003, 02:28 PM
hi prima!

From either laying on the bed or sitting in front of the door,
Maddie has a specific kind of growling sound that means she
needs to go out.

Murph sometimes just sits at the door waiting patiently for you
to notice him. If you don't, he'll finally scratch the door. Most of
the time, he just waits until Maddie or Oz say they need to go
out and he tags along.

With Oz I hung bells from the door and everytime I took him
out, I'd pop the bells with his paw. It didn't take long fore he
got the concept, but he uses his nose vs his paw. Course he's
also realized that by ringing the bells, he can get me up out of the
chair or off the bed. So hey I'm up, might as well play vs going
out, right? I've learned to distinguish what he wants, based on
how he rings the bell. He hits them harder and more persistently,
if he needs to go out.

Par...

Dixieland Dancer
01-14-2003, 03:00 PM
I have bells hanging on the front door knob and have taught Dixie to ring them if she wants to go out. That way I can hear her from almost anywhere in the house. I didn't have to teach Dusty. He learned from his momma!! ;)

manda99
01-14-2003, 03:55 PM
It's rare that Smokey has to alert me to this as I usually make him pee before we do anything. And the back door is usually open when we're hanging out downstairs, inside.
The only time really is if we've slept a long time & I'm still in bed but he wants to go out, he'll kinda whine/growl and sit at my bedroom door. But this is pretty rare because usually after sleeping for a long time I'll get him up, take him out, and then back to bed. Heh.

primabella
01-14-2003, 03:58 PM
thanks for all the suggestions! :)

Jessica12345
01-14-2003, 04:19 PM
Jordan jumps around us and runs to the door then comes back and does it as many times as he needs to until we let him out. he is on a schedule but sometimes you just gotta go! lol good luck!

wolf_Q
01-14-2003, 10:59 PM
Reggie and Smokey........BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK. They will make it *known* that they want out!! Same with being let back in!

Nebo is like Oz and Dixie/Dusty. I have a large bell hanging from the door. He also rings it with his nose. If I know that he doesn't really need out, and he rings them, sometimes I'll ignore him...but if he really wants his needs known, he'll go running up to the door jumping and pawing at them lol. I've never heard him bark to be let out. ONCE I heard a solitary "woof" to be let back inside, but that's it. When he wants in he'll just come and lay in front of the door....if nobody shows up soon enough, he'll just go and wander.

lovemyshiba
01-15-2003, 12:02 PM
Kito will bark and jump around and run like crazy (depending on which one he has to do), or simply stand by the door silently. Abbey goes when we go out, but doesn't really tell us. She's had 2 accidents lately though, so she really needs to learn a signal. She scratches at the door sometimes, but last night she didn't do anything, just went over, peed, and went to sleep in the corner.
We'll have to work on her.

ParNone
01-15-2003, 12:06 PM
wolfq wrote:

ONCE I heard a solitary "woof" to be let back inside, but that's it. When he wants in he'll just come and lay in front of the door....if nobody shows up soon enough, he'll just go and wander.

Oz hasn't barked to come in yet, but he has tried turning the
door handle quite a few times. If not for my paranoia to always
keep the doors locked, I think he'd be letting himself in and out
by now.:D

Par...

slleipnir
01-15-2003, 03:19 PM
Mine just go to the door and look at it lol. Rufus, it was so cute, use to 'dance' around till you followed him (only if your standing up walking though)

primabella
01-15-2003, 03:52 PM
lol :D thanks. well, mickey now jumps up or looks ar us. maybe i'll try that bell thing, even though it will probably drive my dad nuts :p

Aspen and Misty
01-15-2003, 04:07 PM
Chewy grabs your pant leg almost noks you over then you go to get him to tell him he was bad and he is sitting by the door, waiting to go hurry up! He just looks at the door knob never at you, he must think it magicly turns. He's like "Hey mom get that darn thing to trun again Nature calls!"

Chewy knows how to open the back door, it doesn't shut tightly and all it needs is a good turn and your in. Bad Chewy, lol

Ash