PDA

View Full Version : How did you decide on a name for your pets?

AmylovesMisty
01-13-2003, 07:36 PM
Just wondering, how did you decide on a name for your pets?? Mistys is because of a little incident that you could read about in the thread Misty's name was Misunderstood!!!

Well, I'm sure there will be some interesting answers here!!

Luckies4me- Are you going to say ALL your rats?? You might have the longest list if you do!!

babolaypo65
01-13-2003, 07:47 PM
owen is named after a character in a john irving novel "a prayer for owen meany". owen meany was small (in size) but big in personality, and strength of character. that about sums up scottish terriers (it was also my favorite book). his full name is owen laphroaig meany (a friend thought that being scottish owen needed to have a single malt scotch for a middle name and picked that one).
as for my cat, clive, he is an amalgam. he is named after the british actor: clive owen. (weird i know). i almost named him ramsay after my second favorite character (from the robertson davies "deptford trilogy") but clive owen works so well together!

scarlett
01-13-2003, 10:41 PM
well on webster (whom passed away a few years ago)we got his name from that tv show webster.

on scarlett well its from i brleive her name was scalett ohaira?

truffles well i came up with that one.see we adopted her when she was 3 and her origenal name was troubles and we didn't think that fit her at all she is so gentle so we had to think up a name that sounded simular to troubles.the name truffles poped in my head and my parents loved the name so we managed to get her to answer to truffles instead of troubles.

take care,marylyn

ownerof3dogs
01-14-2003, 12:57 AM
Felice got her name b/c she is always cheerfull. I think her name means happy or Merry in spanish.

Zeus got his name because I wanted a powerful name for him. He looked so serious as a pup and b/c I like mythilogical names.

Hercules got his name b/c he's Zeus's son...so what else could I name him but Hercules?

Mitzy, she came to me with that name. But she got it b/c she has extra toes so Mitzy come from mitten.

Astro: We just though he looked like a Astro

Nera got her name becasue it means black in Italian. She's all black

Hooligan got his name b/c he was feral and a big terror!

anna_66
01-14-2003, 10:03 AM
Angus got his name from Angus Young of AC/DC (Marks decision:rolleyes: )
Roxey got her name from the song by Sting-Roxanne, we heard it as we were bringing her home.
Huney, she was so sweet & I would always say "Come here honey" and she'd come, so the name just stuck!

AmylovesMisty
01-14-2003, 07:39 PM
How interesting!!

sandragonfly
01-14-2003, 08:02 PM
Hi!

I'm afraid we already had the same threads...But I'll answer on this anyway, my answer is a little pretty long so why don't you look at this thread, my answer is there for why I decided the names for my precious pets :) - http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19520 - Your story about Misty appear to be funny!

Chinadoll
01-14-2003, 10:00 PM
Rory - So tiny and so cute when I got him. He hated going back in the cage..always wanted to be held. When he'd go back into the cage, he make these little crying sounds that sounded like a baby lion trying to roar.

Lola - Very persistant and determined little girl. From the jazz song "...What ever Lola wants, Lola gets..."

Jax - Everyone told me that my fuzzies names sounded like soap opera names, so Jax is named after my favorite soap opera character, Jasper Jax.

Max - Just went so well with Jax and... before I even adopted him, he got sick and we spent some $$ at the vet. So Maxamillion he became.

Lulu - my misunderstood biter. Until she really learned to trust people she was hyper and nuts more so than my other fuzzies. hence the name Lulu the Lunatic

Scout - another of my critters that had to learn to trust people. until he felt comfortable, you had to hunt for awhile to even find him in the house...so Joey named him Scout. of course Joey was thinking scout sniper and his being stealthy and I was thinking that's a great name after the character in To Kill a Mockingbird. For whatever reason, the name fits.

Gigi - I so wanted to name her Sophie. She just looks like a Sophie with her white fur and blue eyes. BUT...she's suppossed to be Joey's cat so he got away with naming her...he and a friend picked Gigi because she's so prissy and the name sounded pretencious.

Bixby - My mom named him. We couldn't decide on a name and she just blurted out Bixby and it sounded so cute and it just fit.

iceyshiver21
01-14-2003, 10:03 PM
All mine came from books, movies or cartoons, but mostly books:p

krazyaboutkatz
01-14-2003, 10:11 PM
Storm was already named and I liked his name so I kept it.

Pepper was named this because he's black and was very peppy as a kitten and he sometimes sneezes.

Sunny was named before I adopted him. I was looking for an orange male cat. This name fits him perfectly because he's brought a lot of life and happiness into my house and he's my little ray of sunshine.:)

Andie
01-15-2003, 09:39 AM
Fluffy - When we first got her she was just a little ball of fur (she was the runt) and she use to have the bad habit of sleeping in the dryer. Mom use to tell her "One of these days I'm not gonna look for you before I start this thing and we'll see how fluffy you can get." LOL She would never do that though I think it scared Fluff cuz she never slept in there again.

Katie Mae - Well I'm sure I've said this before but Dad is a "Momma's Boy"! He named her after my Grandma Katie. Which is a sweet gesture I guess.

Bull - He came with the name and I was too lazy to think of another name for him. I found it rather fit him after a while, if I didn't pay him the attention he thought he deserved then he would kinda headbutt me. He's stopped doing that now. Now he just sorta hugs your leg (he'll wrap one leg around your's and press his head/bite your leg) if you're standing or put one of his feet in your lap if you're sitting.

Isis - I'm a history freak I guess. I made out a list of names (mostly of Greek, Egyptian, and Hindu gods) and Dustin went through and took off the names he didn't like. (most of them) and we picked from there. Actually it was like we argued over the last 4 names and about 2 secs before my aunt came Dustin said lets just name her Isis. (could be worse, I could be telling you about Moonshine Bayou :rolleyes: :D )

ParNone
01-15-2003, 03:09 PM
Madison-Named after the mermaid in "Splash".

McMurphy-Named after the lead character in "China Beach".

Whizzer of Oz- Oz is a Collie and I wanted a connection
for him to my 2 Toto dogs, Murph and Maddie. Plus it keeps the
movie/tv theme going.

Par...

pegwad16
01-15-2003, 03:40 PM
Clifford- my mixed breed dog got his name from when i was real young and was still into the whole Clifford the Big Red Dog book series and i told my parents that i wanted to name him Clifford. Whats so funny is that instead of being a bgi red dog he's a medium sized black dog.

Buffy- my albino hamster got her name because i was looking through a list of hamster names and i saw Buffy and my absolute favorite TV show is Buffy the Vampire Slayer and so i figured that name fit her real good cause she's got red eyes and looks evil.

Buster- my golden syrian hamster got his name because I was looking through the names of hamsters and I saw the name Buster and i figured that just sounded real for him.

Buttons- my sisters hamster which is the pic of the litter from my hamsters first litter got her name because she's furry like her mom and she's as cute as a button.

Stuart- my sisters other hamster which is the mate of her female got his name because of the TV show we used to watch called MadTV and a skit called stuart about the over sized guy that is suposed to be a kid. He was hilarious!!

AmylovesMisty
01-15-2003, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by ParNone
Madison-Named after the mermaid in "Splash".

McMurphy-Named after the lead character in "China Beach".

Whizzer of Oz- Oz is a Collie and I wanted a connection
for him to my 2 Toto dogs, Murph and Maddie. Plus it keeps the
movie/tv theme going.

Par...

LOL!!! I love your choice of theme!!